Crack on board edge: manufacturing failure?(photo)

Hi, probably I hit a rock and now there is a crack/crevice on the edge in the middle of the board( not at the nose nor the tail). But arent edges supposed to be ductile, so that even if I hit a rock, the edge should protrude out instead of cracking?

sth like this

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/forum/file.php?1,file=1236,filename=Ski_damage_005.jpg,download=1

I have a big crack on my edge on the Birdman it must have come off it's missing all around the nose wow it's missing on the tail as well

Must have hit a few trees :D

i'm sure that this is not a joint, as it hadn't been there until a week ago.

I do have two other "cracks", which i know they are joints, on each side at the tail tip.

Is there a massive amount of damage where the crack is? If you hit something hard enough to break the metal edge like that you would have also definitely smashed the base or top sheet as well. If you are worried about it and it's a new board just take it back to the shop.

How about some hi res pics?

You could hit edge material with a cold chisel on the bench and it wouldnt crack, cracking it within the laminate of a snowboard is 99.99999% imposible IMO and like blackmountain said the collateral damage would be enormous.

If its not a join it may be a scratch.