Trying to line up a 2.5 day trip with Lady Peetan March 21(pm) to March 23/24.

Two options are Shiga koen, and Appi.

For those who have been to Appi, would you say it was worth it for this time of year? the hotel looks pretty nice. Is there anything there that we wouldn't find back closer to home?

Input much appreciated!

I was at Appi in mid Feb. I think that as long as the temperatures aren't too warm by now, it's perfect for a couple of days - I had one of the best on-piste days of my life there. The mountain is large by Japanese standards and you won't get bored, but there is absolutely nothing to do except ski.

However, I think unless you're really keen for a western-style hotel, avoid the Prince. I was inside a few times and its dated quite badly. I would suggest instead Resort Inn Miwa - a totally underused Japanese pension run by a lovely elderly couple. I stayed there this year and it was wonderful, especially because I was the only guest - make sure you get both dinner and breakfast. (I'm not getting commission for this post!)

Does the Prince group have any nice hotels that haven't dated?

Not a big fan of Prince (the hotel group, not the purple guy) but the New Prince at Furano looks fairly modern though it's ugly as, and totally out of keeping with its surroundings unlike, ironically, the Alpine-themed Prince hotel that it superseded over on the Kitanomine side of the resort! Not that I've ever stayed at either ;-)

Back to topic, I'll be up in Hakuba at that time if you change your plans and fancy meeting up :-)

The hotel at Appi is nice, but I preferred the rooms in the grand villas. It is a little further to the slopes (100-200m) but I found the room to be more comfortable.

As the others have said, there is nothing to do at Appi but ski/board. If you have a car there are some good onsens in Hachimantai about 30min drive away, otherwise the onsen at the resort is fine and has a huge sauna. Apart from that there is nothing in terms of nightlife unless an event is on at the resort which is rare.

The boarding is sweet. Heaps of variety, the park this year is much better than last season.

• 3 weeks later...

My trip to Appi was cancelled due to my, er, forgetting I had a tournament on that weekend. Plus the lady said that she's had enough of the snow for this year.

I would still like to go sometime, so Metabo Oyaji's feedback in other threads is well appreciated.

As for this year, well, I'm going to try one last hurrah on Marunuma on Wednesday, but the weather's looking a bit dodgy. Think that'll be the last of it for this season :(

I'm in the middle of a visit to Appi now. Will definitely report in full later.

Pretty good spring skiing conditions today, better than yesterday, except at the very bottom run-out where it turned to glue. Nishimori lift was closed today, though, which was a disappointment.

Tomorrow looking a bit worrisome for wind... may or may not take a side-trip to Hachimantai Shimokura if the wind is as bad in the morning as currently predicted. Will decide then.