• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They can't put some of the credit cards in their pockets!

I drive like an old lady but then again I drive land tanks. Back when I was racing it was all about a straight line with skinny front tires for 1/8 or 1/4 mile. I never was one for "burying the spee

• 3 months later...

It's jolly confusing isn't it.

I thought the 100km thing was at the beginning of the discounts a number of years back and that limit was scrapped. I was sure I have had the discount on longer journeys in more recent times. I may well be wrong though.

Anyway, we should all really just be very happy for the chance to contribute in lots of varying ways to the success of Abenomics! :thumbsup:

Definitely been cut back but very little fuss about it on the news.

You need to use 5-9 times in a month for 30% off, and 10 times or more for 50% off for the weekday evening discount.

It's jolly confusing isn't it.

I thought the 100km thing was at the beginning of the discounts a number of years back and that limit was scrapped. I was sure I have had the discount on longer journeys in more recent times. I may well be wrong though.

Anyway, we should all really just be very happy for the chance to contribute in lots of varying ways to the success of Abenomics! :thumbsup:

I don't think the 100km limit was ever scrapped for the weekday commuting time discount. Instead the change was to automatically calculate the 100km's worth of discount into all journeys of 100km or more. It was to stop people leaving the highway after just under 100km to get the discount and pulling a U-ey at the gate to get back on again. People with two cards would still do it to get the discount twice, but changing it meant that people with one card did not have to leave the highway. The fee for the distance over 100km was calculated at full price.

By the looks, they've changed the commuting time discount to a full on commuting one in that you need to use the highway 5 times in a month to get a 30% discount and 10 times to get the 50% one there was before. So occasional users will get a big fat zero in discount. The weekend discount is also being cut from 50% to 30% next month. I don't know if it applied before, but the bits close to Tokyo and Osaka are exempt from both of those discounts.

I say this every time but all highways except for the heavily used ones like the Tomei lose money. The people using them don't cover the full price of maintenance with their tolls, i.e., its not a system where just the user pays. If the taxpayer is also paying, the tolls should be set at a level that ensures lots of usage. Otherwise its just the less well off subsidizing the rich.

As others have said though, this has hardly been mentioned on the news has it? Well, doesn't seem to have been.

It was Frannyo that told me!

You'd think they might have seen how more people used the expressways more often with the discounts and thought hmm this is a good idea.

Though, this is the island of Japan!

So maybe not.

• 1 month later...