White World Oze Iwakura (Katashina, Gunma) - 26th February 2014

Got up early this morning and was out by 6:30am, destination White World Oze Iwakura in Katashina, Gunma.

Got on the always-popular Kanetsu Expressway at Shiozawa Ishiuchi and got off at Numata IC. Negotiated the rather busy Route 120 in Numata area, then was interested to see the new tunnel connecting Numata with the Katashina area. It really does cut a chunk off the journey which is nice to see. Photos at the bottom here.

My house to White World was just under 90 minutes.

White World is an interesting place. I agree with lots of what Gunma Boarder said in his review here:

http://www.snowjapan...ews/detail/1982

(I'll write my own sometime later).

Blue skies looking up to the resort, hazy in lots of other directions (though not as funky hazy as it was when I returned to Minamiuonuma this afternoon).

Snow was... well, I was a bit disappointed. It was snowing a bit yesterday there I believe and I was expecting to get lots of lovely cruising groomed runs in early morning. But they didn't seem to have bothered with the grooming at all. No corduroy that I could find. And it wasn't soft, my knees were taking some load there on the long cruising runs.

The lift system is not obvious here. I made a few mistakes early on even though I have been here before a few years ago. Worth studying the map before going. Even when I know them though, it's a bit disjointed but that's hardly unique in Japan! There's also a few lifts over the back that they have discontinued since 3.11 and they don't look like they'll be moving again anytime soon.

But I quite like lots of the courses here, and would have liked them better if there was more fresh snow and it had been groomed. (I wanted a groomed morning). :)

Also had a kebab. Though forgot to take a pic of that, before I knew it it was gone! Mister Donuts at Numata on the way home.

I quite like it here, though I'm not sure I'll be making the journey much.

oze-iwakura-3.jpg

oze-iwakura-4.jpg

oze-iwakura-5.jpg

oze-iwakura-6.jpg

oze-iwakura-7.jpg

oze-iwakura-8.jpg

oze-iwakura-2.jpg

oze-iwakura-9.jpg

oze-iwakura-10.jpg

oze-iwakura-11.jpg

oze-iwakura-12.jpg

oze-iwakura-13.jpg

oze-iwakura-14.jpg

oze-iwakura-15.jpg

oze-iwakura-16.jpg

oze-iwakura-17.jpg

oze-iwakura-18.jpg

oze-iwakura-19.jpg

oze-iwakura-20.jpg

oze-iwakura-21.jpg

oze-iwakura-22.jpg

The tunnel on the Numata side....

oze-iwakura-1.jpg

...and on the Katashina side...

oze-iwakura-23.jpg

Old road just about visible in both. Looking very lonely!

Looks like some nice on-piste powder still.

Is there a sliver of yet another ski are far beyond Tokura? (Okutadami Maruyama...?) Or maybe just a power line.

It was a mixed bag really. In some places so nice spray coming up but mostly it was quite juddery going, if that makes sense. Not silky smooth.

Not sure about the other question, I suppose Okutadami is off in that general direction. Interesting!

I agree about the walk up from the car park. They should at least let you buy tickets by that first lift so you can get up there and ski back down to the gondola.

NIce photos! You did the beauty of Iwakura justice. That close up of the backside of Hotaka is amazing! I wasn't sure what I was looking at at first. That would be an amazing BC line.

When I went on Sunday the snow was really good, so good I kind of forgot to take some of the pics I was planning on. Would you mind if I used the one below in a thread? I would of course give you all the artistic credit. This shot really shows the tree runs I was riding all morning!

oze-iwakura-6.jpg

This shot really shows the tree runs I was riding all morning!

Which trees were you riding in relation to this photo Gunma Boarder?

It all looks pretty nice :friend:

Of course you can, please go ahead.

:wave:

Thank you! It is a really nice shot!

Mostly the trees between the two runs in the background. They were really good! For more info you will have to read the thread I'm about to write ;)

Of course you can, please go ahead.

:wave:

Thank you! It is a really nice shot!

Mostly the trees between the two runs in the background. They were really good! For more info you will have to read the thread I'm about to write ;)

Looks like a lot of fun to be had in there! Is it a one lift hot-lap?.....

Definitely gonna go there with Bushiman as soon as the weather looks better and there is some new snow :)

We should coordinate a visit and I will bring the 161 Slackcountry for you to check out :thumbsup: