Hi Everybody!

Dr_Nick.png

Trying to eek some fun during the weekends, and weighing up two options:

1) Marunumakogen

2) Aizukogen Takatsue

Both are higaeri via Bus or the tobu overnight train, sadly. Can't drive, work's a swine, etc.

I would normally beeline straight to Marunumakogen as I love the range and the pow there, but last weekend I had a H o r r i b l e time getting to Maiko thanks to the conjestion of the Joetsu Kanetsu Expressway from Takasaki allllllll the way to past Numata. This left only 3 hours of board time on slopes that were hard-packed thanks to the hordes, on essentially powpow rocker boards. It also left a very bitter taste in the mouth and a very sore arse. I'm willing to hope that the traffic was just a one-off, but is it pie in the sky?

Alternatively, the 'safe' option is Takatsue- I live in Kasukabe so getting an overnight train to Aizu on the Tobu snowpal is too easy. Negative points are that I don't really sleep well on the train (too tall for J-town), and the snow/track is IMHO nowhere near as fun as Marunuma.

So, boils down to whether I can risk the roads. Marunuma's bus leaves Omiya at 7:20 on sunday March 9; do people here reckon the traffic will behave by then? Has anyone else had some Joetsu Kanetsu woe? Or should I play safe and get more earlybird time at Takatsue?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick replies! Kasukabe is on the east side of Saitama, just near the Chiba border. Famous for Crayon shinchan. Apparently.

Joetsu/Kanetsu.. I meant whatever my Map application tells me!

*puts on my explorer hat*

*Walks into the sea*

Tubby won't be having you bad-mouth the Kanetsu!

He loves it.

:grandpa:

Where abouts is Kasukabe?

Oh yeah.......I adore that road :veryangry:

That is not a freak occurrence on the Kan-etsu I'm afraid......If u can get on the road REALLY early then it's fine, but leave later and it's a lottery

So with that, we have chosen door number 2, Aizukogen Takatsue. Snowpal, sleep on train overnight and get to the slopes a bright and breezy 6:45, on slope by 7:15. A good 10 hours of slope time.

Just a damn shame about the snow. It's not bad, but not stellar either. Mixing up the runs can be tricky as well, but in the morning while there's no one around you can take a sneaky cut straight through the main beginner run at a fair whack and launch straight into a side run, then back out over a good jump if you can keep the speed.

Last time the lady and I went to takatsue it was frosty corduroy up to halfway. Thankfully a heavy dump came around lunchtime and changed it to pewpew, plus a friend and I went tree-dodging a little.

I'll keep optimistic :)