• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never been here in any other season but thought I might start #1 The snow consistent and light compared to other countries #2 Easily accessible from Perth (where I live) with minimul time differen

#10 Boots

To get back on topic. I love snow covered old style Japanese houses like in Shirakawago and the crystal blue skies on a clear winter day

Wild guess but that isn't something that most of us can do (or in my case even want to do).

Doesn't change the fact that summmer here is bottom line uncomfortable and certainly not a time to recommend people to come. Well, I think so! :grandpa:

I actually thought it was more unbearable at Fuji Rock than where I lived on the coast.....there was just no breeze at all. I wouldn't like that all summer. I used to get a nice sea breeze through my apartment

Fuji Rock is much better than where I live! We get some wind but it's not cool. The only cool breezes I have found besides on the coast are in river valleys where the temperatures are lowered by the cold water.

I think I started this whole debate by mentioning how maybe seemore should visit in fall some year. I also said summer isn't so bad but obviously many of you think it is. I admit I would recommend anything but summer to someone visiting unless they wanted to spend their whole trip in the mountains, near a clean(ish) ocean swimming area or in Hokkaido. I think depending on the person I would tell most people to visit in either fall for the colors, spring for the blossoms or winter for the reasons mentioned in this thread and all over this website!

A good list, though only 1 and 3 are exclusively winter things. You should try fall one of these years the colors are beautiful! Summer and Spring aren't so bad either :lol: Of course winter is going to be the favorite on this site ;)

Autumn is great. I'd tell anyone to come round that time.

I'm willing to bet though that some places are 最高のコンディション even in mid summer!

Jolly well BOOK NOW!

I quite like Japanese summer where we are, though its too hot for me to get very much done during the day. Any kind of physical work, like doing my firewood, takes way longer because I get knackered and dripping in sweat in no time. Most summer nights round here are under 20C though, so there is plenty of respite from the heat.

Rainy season can be completely crap though. Winter in the UK level of depressing. Grey for days on end.

Actually I could do with air con in my place, the building next door is built so close that it stops a through draft when we have the windows open. Out and about tho, Sapporo has a really nice summer, warm n sunny during the day but with a nice cooling breeze.

Wish I was there right now its been stinking hot back here on the Sunshine Coast for some time.Things I like about winter in Japan is the cool change .So look forward to it.

•Sweet potato trucks roaming the streets.

•Sapporo Classic after a day on the slopes.

•kotatsu

•nabe

Minus points

-heating on way too high on trains/subways/department stores

I like them and the curry-man, too. But those extra juicy nIkuman from Circle K or maybe Lawsons are pretty damned good. I usually get a few different ones every time. Had a curry man and a nikuman this morning. Sometimes you luck out with the nikuman and get a nice chunk of meat. Other times not so lucky when you get a chunk of grissle...yuck ..

I wonder how this summer will be here, according to everyone I have spoken to here air conditioners are not needed, and in fact hardly any houses have them here.

Apparently it is not humid in summer here, just a dry heat and gets chilly at night even in August!. I so hope they are right, but the trouble is Japanese level of not humid and chilly is very different to mine. We shall see once summer arrives. For now though still enjoying winter all all the snow we have and winter foods.

Tremendously ugly towns and villages that sometimes become acceptably pretty with all the snow. Some even very pretty. Snow does wonders covering all those crumbling buildings and abandoned vehicles etc!