Renewal of a British passport from Japan

Hi SJ users,

My 10 year British passport expires on the 14th of April 2014..... in around 8 weeks.

I need to renew it ASAP and I know that it takes around 4 weeks to have it sent to Hong Kong, processed and returned to me.

Have any British SJ users had to renew their passport from Japan recently?

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions/help/info on the procedure, as it all looks a little daunting on the official site :shifty:

Please contact me if you have any experience on the renewal process.

Thanks.

NECK.

The last time I did it, I went to the London office, paid 48 squids for the same day express service and hung out in a pub for 2 hours. Went back after that and hey presto, it was ready. No hassle. It's now 128 pounds and called premium service.

Hmmmm...... from what I'm seeing on the UK.gov website application it seems to be going to HK and will take around 4 weeks :confused: .... Says it was updated February 13th..... But most seem to agree that it now goes back to London and not HK anymore.....

Anyone actually renewed their British passport from Japan in the last few months?

When did you last do it Winter Vacation?

On a closer inspection, it says:

"Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when your declaration form is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK."

So I guess it does go back to London, and may well take longer than 4 weeks......bummer :sadface:

The consulate in Hong Kong used to do it. I used to just drop off the form and fee at lunch hour and it would arrive in the post 3 weeks later. Well efficient.

The same day service is at Globe House in London, near Victoria station. It now takes 4 hours instead of two, forcing one to down at least 6 pints in the pub while waiting.

Strange coz I don't have one and neither does anyone I work with (about 10 people and counting).

In fact, under this new system, the Residence Card will show your Status of Residence and period of stay, items that were included in the visa stamp in your passport. The only time any of this information will be entered in your passport is on your initial entry to Japan. On renewing a visa, the information will only be entered on your Residence Card. Each time you renew your “visa (status of residence)” you will be issued with a new Residence Card.

*It is going to be quite important, therefore, that you always have your Residence Card with you when you are traveling in and out of Japan. Your visa status can be verified only if you have your Residence Card with you.*

Did you get your new card when you were coming into the country after a visit abroad or something? I've checked through the immigration website and it explicitly states that no information should be entered into your passport.

From the immigration website FAQ:

A. In case of permission of landing at airports/ports, the seal of permission of landing will be stamped on the passport etc. as before. It is the same regardless of whether residence card is delivered or not. If permission concerning residency such as permission to change the status of residency is given and the relevant foreigner becomes a mid- and long-term resident eligible for the new Residency Management system, the seal to the passport etc and will not be stamped. In this case, residence card showing the new status of residency and period of stay will be issued. On the other hand,if the relevant foreigner is not a mid- and long-term resident (a short-term resident etc.), residence card will not be issued and the seal will be stamped on the passport etc. as before."

A. In case a mid- to long-term resident obtains permission to renew the period of stay etc. continues to be a mid- to long-term resident, new residence card will be issued, but the seal will not be stamped on his/her passport.

No, I just replaced the card at immigration, then last year I needed a new visa to work in the eikaiwa I work in at night and they took my passport away and printed a new visa permission in there