Hi all! :wave:

I've been a stranger on here recently due to a combination of assignment deadlines, sulking about a bad back (tweaked over Christmas whilst messing about on my bmx!), buying a new bmx (the old one obviously not being good enough for my back!!) and watching the Olympics!

So having just finished my assignments, and my back has survived clearing snow off the balcony for a second consecutive weekend, it's finally time to go snowboarding!!! :clap:

Am flying up to Hokkaido on Tuesday, then heading over to Furano for a few days then back to Sapporo. Am going to give Niseko a miss this winter as I fancy checking out some new resorts, namely Kiroro, Teine and maybe another. Can't wait!!

So a quick question for those on the ground, how's it looking up there?

Cheers!

Mick :friend:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess it's horses for courses, really. Mike does a great job of sniffing out the good stuff, and people who rent cars have a better chance of accessing better areas than those who are resort-bound.

We also had no problem finding hotels on the day of or day before in most places too. If we wanted to change area (eg. Tomamu way/ Otaru etc). We'd normally decide the day before if we were going to

Can you be a little more specific Tubby. How about some GPS coordinates and pictures of the food?

Not real good at the moment at Niseko mick. We havent had decent snow for a week.

I have heard that Kiroro has been better. Tubby can give you the word on Teine.

Gonna miss ya , bro. :(

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

KD, how long you in town for? If you're still around and about and it's not so good at Niseko, I'm aiming to be at Kiroro on Tues 25th if you fancy a trip over? :)

How's the Big G looking Muika?? :D

So where's Tubby? Busy watching the curling I guess. ;)

Teine has been having regular top ups without it being mental. Enough to smooth over the tracks and give you some facefulls of powder. Snowing now so I'll be back up tomorrow for some fresh lines :)

Was watching Canada v Japan women today.....Canada played an awesome shot in the 3rd end I think :p

Teine has been having regular top ups without it being mental. Enough to smooth over the tracks and give you some facefulls of powder. Snowing now so I'll be back up tomorrow for some fresh lines :)

Was watching Canada v Japan women today.....Canada played an awesome shot in the 3rd end I think :p

I saw that too! :thumbsup: Thanks for the Teine update TB!! I'm aiming to be there on or around Weds 26th/Thurs 27th if you're not working and fancy showing me your secret stashes!? :D Have fun 2moro!

Don't know where everybody else has been skiing but I've had powder all season long on Hokkaido.

If you're prepared / able to move around there's always good snow to be found.

I've skied Niseko United, Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai so far this season and had deep days at all of them.

Don't know where everybody else has been skiing?

Come on now, don't be insincere.

Ask many in Niseko - heard of it? - in the last week or so, with hardly any fresh, and they might wonder what you're on about.

Not everyone has a car or is willing to make journeys. Going to Niseko and having to travel to find fresh snow is not part of the deal.

I don't think a "100% it must snow" guarantee is part of the deal either. A number of Hakuba folks have been sharing some "where is snowy in the world" lists on facebook this week because the list had Hakuba top (no doubt snowdude's local isn't counted ;) ), but fwiw Niseko was still top 3. So anyone disappointed at Niseko this week has simply missed the chance to be more disappointed somewhere else, possibly with more expensive lift tickets, little accom at the price of the pensions in Niseko, and probably worse and more expensive food. If they're coming from Asia, a trip to the US, Canada, or Europe would have given them a lovely nice long flight and skiing with jetlag into the bargain.

My own opinion and just for Hakuba, but this season was normal till Jan 20ish, crap for two weeks, and has been picking up again since then. Some people will have timed it well, and some will have timed it badly. The crap two weeks do not negate the whole season. On average, I suspect January will have been as cold as normal, if not slightly colder. We've had no real fuyugata storm this time, but too much snow at once brings its own problems and does not provide the best riding.

You're right Mr Wiggles, but the 100% it must snow was not my point.

I do think it's wrong to imply that it's been a full on powder experience all the way through, like some kind of brochure. When in reality it has not.

Agree. It gets a little bit annoying when people or companies spruke about awesome conditions when you are sitting there thinking how crap it is.

It also gets annoying when you are not there and conditions are epic lol.

I wonder what percentage of people 'have wheels and are prepared to use them', on their limited holiday to Niseko.

I reckon it's probably a small percentage.... though maybe not - actually, is it?

It's certainly a small percentage but it doesn't have to be. It's pretty easy to hire a car for a day or two during a trip to head over to another resort if you want. Or use public transport.

I guess my point is that Mike isn't lying or just crapping on for marketing purposes. He's just relating his experience. Anyone could do what he does with ease if they chose to. That they don't isn't his fault.

Interesting.

I thought that the neverending appeal of Niseko though for most was.... Niseko. Not somewhere else you need a car to get to.

Can't imagine that a majority of people want to be messing about with car rental on top of everything.

Like most ski regions throughout the country one place can be dumping whilst others relatively nearby are barely getting a flake. Having a car allows you go to where the conditions are best. It's not for everyone but so what?.

SKI, I heard that Niseko has the most consistent snowfall on this planet - possibly even including other planets, too.

Many times, actually.

So I think you should jolly well take back that heinous accusation!

:grandpa:

Damn.

:doh:

It's like walking on particularly flimsy eggshells.

I'm not sure who, but someone is a disgrace to their children's indigious ancestry and the children of Mr Adam Goodes. They need censed and apologise issue.