I was planning to hit Kagura again this sunday - looks like there's gonna be plenty of snow.

However, latest forecast is now calling for severe gale force winds from Saturday night through Sunday which will very likely result in the top lifts being closed. Kagura isn't worth going to for me without the top quad open.

Usually when the forecast was like this I'd go to Kandatsu - it was in a sheltered valley so didn't tend to be affected by strong winds - however, that place has now closed down.

I wonder if anyone has recommendations for resorts in the Yuzawa area which don't get affected much by strong winds?

Hmm I don't go out on strong wind days so don't have much first hand experience.

But I'd guess smaller places closer to town level like Nakazato, Park.

And of course don't rule out the Legendary Mt Granview. It may have massive peaks but somehow I think it might be ok in the winds.

It wouldn't be the Koyama family by any chance they live in Matsudai?

I used to go up there and do tou ue and inakari for a few years. They imtroduced us to the festival.

Nice family but just not had the time to visit them in recent years.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just about to start a new topic but this one ties in with the following question:- How windy does it have to be before the Kagura top lifts close? I know that this is one of those "how long is a piece of string questions" questions but I'm thinking about hitting Kagura on Monday and 50-55km/h winds are forecast. :D

Strong winds and it gets closed. Sorry don't know what strong is in numbers but if it's forecast to be fairly strong you should expect it to not open.

I was thinking of maybe going to Kagura this weekend too. The snow japan forecast only says 35 km/h winds for Kagura at the top on Sunday. If that holds true I can't imagine that stopping the quad lift. Even Saturday afternoon and evening don't seem too bad (45 and 40). I think it will be open but might be worth calling to make sure. How are Gala and Yuzawa Kogen in the wind compared to Kagura?

Problem with Yuzawa Kogen is that.... it's a bit rubbish. Apart from the fab views on a clear day of course.

GALA can be closed in wind, but seem more resiliant than Kagura. Good job they have that downhill course now - before that they were really hurting closing sometimes when I thought there was no wind at all. Since then though all good.

I'd forgotten about GALA! Obviously my radar has been skewed by the other resort beginning with G!! :D I'd be tempted to go there if I knew the Southern Area was going to be open.

Was just about to start a new topic but this one ties in with the following question:- How windy does it have to be before the Kagura top lifts close? I know that this is one of those "how long is a piece of string questions" questions but I'm thinking about hitting Kagura on Monday and 50-55km/h winds are forecast. :D

At Kagura I'd say 35-40 you should be OK, but above 40 there's a good chance the top quad will close. Looking at the forecast now, I'd say Sunday looks OK (hope so, I plan to go) and Monday I wouldn't want to risk it.

I've done the Kagura trip loads of times and a few times I've made other plans because of forecast high winds and I was almost always right to do so.

Things could change, so I'd leave it as late as possible and if it is still predicting 50-60KPH winds at the top as it is now, I'd give it a miss. Kagura simply isn't worth the trip for me if the top quad isn't open.

That's brilliant info Gary, thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

I want to stay at the Wadagoya Mountain Hut but as you say, it's not going to be worth it if I can't ride the top lifts and therefore the top tree runs!!