Hi All,

I just had 8 days boarding in Niseko (well, 6 Niseko, 1 Rusutsu and 1 Moiwa). I was there 25th-2nd Feb. Firstly, I had an awesome time. Initially I was worried Niseko would have a big crowd, but I was able to find tonnes of freshies!

However, whilst we were there, the lifts were closed a lot of the time, and I am just wondering if this is typical. I know that the top lifts often close (more often than not a couple of instructors told me), but the Niseko and Annupuri Gondolas were closed for 4 of the 6 days I was there. Apparently Moiwa quad was closed most of the time too (we scored and got it on the day it opened).

We still had an awesome time, but just wondering if this is normal in Jan? How often do these Gondola's shut usually? It does really limit options, especially in Niseko village. There were even a couple of times when the Annupuri quad shut down, effectively ending our day early.

Cheers,

Tom

It wasn't that prevalent a few years back.

The wind first closes the higher chairs and then the ace quad. When that happens, there is hell on the gondola as they slow that down in order to keep it running. When that is too swingy, they close that down and just keep the family lift running.

Look!, there's a lift running, no money back.

It's all good, pack up the bag and head to a nearby resort for the day and spend it in the trees! This place doesn't get the same wind problems as the big N.

Just look for the singing tree...

It wasn't that prevalent a few years back.

The wind first closes the higher chairs and then the ace quad. When that happens, there is hell on the gondola as they slow that down in order to keep it running. When that is too swingy, they close that down and just keep the family lift running.

Look!, there's a lift running, no money back.

There were lift closures every single year we went there on vacation since 2004. Wasn't there last season and won't be there again this season so can't comment about that but I've found that wind has always been a problem at Niseko.