Anyone else think Japan kind of misses out on the 'ski snob' thing?

Yeah maybe some older people but generally... well, there seems to be more boarders than skiers whenever I am out.

I’m disappointed to report that there still exists among certain skiers a belief that snowboarders are in some way inferior and unworthy of sharing the mountain.

These “we were here first” types tend to view all boarders as unruly, scruffy yobs who charge down the slopes like maniacs, putting their lives (and everyone else’s) at risk.

Let me put my cards on the table – I’m a snowboarder. Always have been, always will be. From the moment I strapped on a board for the first time and felt the thrill of cruising down a slope, admittedly after several days of catching edges and face-planting, I knew this was the sport for me.

But I’m not ideologically opposed to skiing. I even gave it a go recently at the Ski and Snowboard Show in London. But, just like most skiers, I’ve never been seriously inclined to switch and leave the comfort of my board to learn a new discipline from scratch.

I’m not here to start one of those futile debates about which of the two sports is better; such arguments are tiresome and unnecessary. Each one has its merits, and people are always going to have their preference. But I am here to stick up for snowboarders in the face of “skier snobbery”.

Over the years I’ve encountered many people who, upon discovering I was a snowboarder, tutted disapprovingly or made a derisory comment about ruining the mountain for skiers. It happened around a chalet dinner table only last year. And there are even resorts, like Deer Valley and Alta in Utah, which still prohibit snowboarding. Come on, get over it!

This idea that we ruin the mountain is complete nonsense. Yes, some boarders behave irresponsibly, but so do some skiers. It’s about the person, not what they’re riding. I’ve seen plenty of skiers careering down the slope, completely out of control. A reckless boarder is no worse than a reckless skier – and unfortunately there are too many of both.

I urge ski snobs to tune in to the snowboarding events at the Winter Olympics [snowboard cross is on Sunday, February 16]. Watching a world-class snowboarder is just as exhilarating as watching a top skier.

And at the end of the day, skiers and boarders all share the same goal – to enjoy the mountain to the full.

Interestingly what is it that snowboarders do that "ruins" the mountain, from a skiers perspective? We all know it's the skiers making moguls of the runs that is what "ruins" the mountain from the view of snowboarders

Personally I don't care whether you like riding one plank or two. On an icy day I'd much rather there were lots of boarders around, they tend to scrape the top layer of ice off and leave a little bit of loose ice behind.

Me too couldn't care less. We are all entitled to use the mountain. Just we need the idiot skiers and idiot borders to stay off the mountain so that all the good borders and skiers can enjoy the mountains together.

i think there is a higher percentage of good snowboarders here in Japan than elsewhere ive skied.

for me its the noob snowboarders that give you that reputation. not the good ones. so maybe thats why you dont see as much of the hate here.

theres also a lot more snow to share around than other places.

from an Olympics tv viewpoint, compared to Shaun White the other snowboarders look like theyre barely able to stand up, let alone land the stunts, so its no mystery whos gonna win and less interesting to watch.

Hi all , just returned from my first trip to Japan/Goryu. I am a skier, comes with my age. I didnt see one accident caused by a snow boarder in the 7 days, saw two wayward boards without passengers enjoying a free run. Didnt have any personal issues with any snowboarders at all. Blocking the top of the lift exits and parking in the middle of the runs on their bums maybe the only small thing. One thing I did notice was the snow seemed to be more "chewed" up than I remember when the snow boarders didnt make up 60-80% of the riders. That could be just be me Im sure but that were my thoughts. I must say that I can see the attraction of the boards and if younger would have given it a go. Had the best time, nothing to complain about at all, was hoping for slightly better snow but thats getting picky.

I sometimes get irritated by middle aged Japanese men or kids squeezing through gaps in lift queues. But I doubt that's a skiier thing. More of a rude Ojisan and stupid kid thing. The skis just enable them.

I sometimes get irritated by middle aged Japanese men or kids squeezing through gaps in lift queues. But I doubt that's a skiier thing. More of a rude Ojisan and stupid kid thing. The skis just enable them.

This frustrates me more than anything else on a busy day.

Or how about people refusing to share lifts on a busy day so you get 1 guy on a quad followed by 1 guy on a quad followed by a couple on a quad etc.

That annoys me too.....but it's more the lifties not enforcing full lifts. I've had it where I'm the only one on the quad bcos the skiers behind have decided not to share with a boarder....for me, I usually get on if there is space....the only exception are double lifts....if I'm not mates with them then I'll wait.....it can be a squeeze on some of those doubles