Would you prefer skijo lie, bend the truth a bit or just tell the truth?

If the ski Jo is open for the day I can't see them saying " don't come today it's not worth it" on their snow report.

Well, no, not exactly.

Some are very honest when conditions are less than great, and they have my respect.

It's a pretty sad place if you can't believe a word that is written isn't it?

The snow reports are posted by the sales/marketing division of the ski jo so they don't have any choice but to put a positive spin on conditions. At my winter job the running joke is that sales/marketing hsn (height new snow) measure is always 25 cm higher than the official measure in the study plots.

there's a difference between positive spin and bullshit.........like I quoted, Rusutsu's official FB page (which I assume is also run by the same department as those in other ski-jo's) said to "bring your sunglasses and suncream for awesome views and top groomers"........that is positive spin, highlighting the positive aspects of the conditions.....some people do like it better when its sunny and the groomers are perfect corduroy....... but its also the truth......there's nothing wrong with that. But saying its powder snow and great conditions when it isn't, thats bullshit and downright lies...........that isn't acceptable

The snow reports are posted by the sales/marketing division of the ski jo so they don't have any choice but to put a positive spin on conditions. At my winter job the running joke is that sales/marketing hsn (height new snow) measure is always 25 cm higher than the official measure in the study plots.

there's a difference between positive spin and bullshit.........like I quoted, Rusutsu's official FB page (which I assume is also run by the same department as those in other ski-jo's) said to "bring your sunglasses and suncream for awesome views and top groomers"........that is positive spin, highlighting the positive aspects of the conditions.....some people do like it better when its sunny and the groomers are perfect corduroy....... but its also the truth......there's nothing wrong with that. But saying its powder snow and great conditions when it isn't, thats bullshit and downright lies...........that isn't acceptable

Agree with what you say, These are commercial ski areas. They advertise. Snow reports are advertising. Make your own decision as to their veracity or otherwise. If you go up the hill buy a ticket and have a bad day it's not like the ski jo forced you to part with your money. Caveat Emtor (buyer beware).

false advertising is illegal and other companies making false claims about their product can be forced to give compensation to consumers when it's been found that they bought said product in good faith and it turned out to be nothing of what it was claimed to be......

No...that's the point.

If you buy a product that claims to be miracle willy growth, guaranteed to make you into a full man in 3 easy applications and it doesn't even raise a smile, then you are entitled to take bogus company to court for false advertising (or at least get a refund). So if you are advertising your ski-jo to have nipple deep blower powder and people read your daily report and decide to travel up to your ski-jo on the strength of your report and it turns out to be even more bogus than the Giant-Wanger 2000 cream, why should they get away with it if other companies have to toe the line?

If you go up the hill buy a ticket and have a bad day it's not like the ski jo forced you to part with your money. Caveat Emtor (buyer beware).

Speaking of which, if they close the lifts in Japan due to weather, is it general policy to give a credit?

I was at Appi and they closed everything at noon except the main gondola, I think just as an excuse to say "we're still open". People would fall over from wind stepping out of the building etc - was madness. Went down to the ticket booth and asked, and was told "No refund! No credit! Pay again tomorrow."

Standard practice?

I believe they do state on the tickets or in the small print somewhere that no refunds will be given for lift tickets in case of lift closes due to bad weather, etc.

Trouble is with ski resorts, as it is an outside business and very much governed by the weather it is not easy to make claims against the ski-jo as they will blame the weather.

As for lying that is unacceptable though, and they should be held responsible, especially when some people have to travel long distances to get to these ski-jo's and often based on what they state on their site about snow/weather conditions.

But the ski-jo industry is not regulated, it is only regulated for safety not whether the ski-jo's are advertising good conditions when they are not.

It does suck though.

Luckily my local resort does seem to report the weather and conditions as it is, and will also tell you on the phone exactly what the weather is and how the conditions are.

I have phoned them on a few occasions to check before I go, and what they have said have been spot on.

I don't know how many lie, but I get the ones that do will give other ski-jo's a bad rep to.

Apparently it's powder snow and saiko no condition over at Hakuba 47.

So, no change from a few days ago. I was rather hoping for an improvement. With all that fresh snow overnight you'd think there would be. Hee hee.

:confused: