Would you prefer skijo lie, bend the truth a bit or just tell the truth?

Just an example:

Hakuba 47

今日はドピーカンと粉雪で最高のコンディションでした。明日は…。ちょっと新雪が欲しいところです!

Was it really 'saiko' (the best) conditions yesterday?

I'm guessing that in reality conditions could be considerably better than they were.

If it were, why would they be wanting/needing new snow tomorrow?

Tired of reading skijo post 最高のコンディション when it blatantly is not.

• Like 1

There's a few places round here claiming the same.

Er,....no.

I would prefer to hear the truth not a bunch of lies. Or at least just refrain from comments if they can't help the bullshit.

I have heard that one or two skijo took down their webcams ---> the reason being they didn't want to show rain/poor conditions.

of course we all would like the ski jo to tell us as it is but....

I was out with a couple of Japanese friends yesterday and both of them commented and used the word "saiko" I can only assume it was because of the bluebird day, cold conditions and great groomers.

TBF the weather at Teine was saiko yesterday......deep blue skies and no clouds for most of the day.....snow was tracked but still nice n light in the trees.

However I would say the previous day's conditions were much better when it was dumping all day...no beautiful views but little wind, visibility was ok and really light snow continuously falling

At a stretch, that's saiko kimochi not saiko conditions like Hakuba 47 said.

They said the best conditions.

I'll see my friends later and ask what they meant.

This is something my wife and I joke about a lot--- I have to say that the Hakuba report and the Hakuba twitter feeds tend to exaggerate. Considering many people might plan an expensive day or days out, it's simply not a good thing to do.

Paraphrasing from last year's Hakuba twitter feed: "get ready for the greatest day of your lives" and "officially puking" --- amounted to now more than 10cm in the village.

It just makes me not trust them even when they do have it right.

• SnowJapan Admin

Just to be clear, PowderBum does not mean our Hakuba Now report - you won't see comments like that on there.

Unfortunately, there's a ton of blatant lying that goes on. Some people simply can't seem to help it when money/their business is involved. It is annoying.

I gave a chuckle pity on Tuesday when reading Rusutsu's Facebook page saying to bring ur sunglasses and sun cream for awesome views and top groomers when we were under falling snow and powder turns all day at Teine :)

So, stemik, the 'powder snow' yesterday - was it anything like 'the best conditions'?

Have you ever experienced snow as good as that in Hakuba?

no of course not, and I didnt say it was "the best conditions" I was just emphasizing the word "saiko" what my friends used yesterday.

I don't think anyone expects them to come out and say conditions are absolutely terrible - even if they are, though it would be nice - but if they aren't for making any kind of comment that might put people off going to perhaps just not make stuff up. People are entitled to be angry at that.

Interestingly, whenever I have read the 47 site in the past they seem to have been fairly up front about stuff like rain etc, so I'm not sure they are a good example of a skijo that is always peddling crap.

Perhaps you are just taking things too literally. Japanese people say "saiaku/saiyaku" at the slightest thing, so I doubt they mean "the worst" as English speakers understand it. A delay of an hour or two on the way home is not going to be the "worst" journey ever. The same goes for "saiko". Most saiko things aren't the best. They're just good enough to be enthusiastic about.

Staying with Hakuba, but Hakuba is a "mura" because a "mura" is a locality of a certain size according to Japanese local government rules. The same rules say Omachi is a "city". You can call Hakuba a "village" if you like, but that's only because its possibly the least worst word in English. It's a strange English word to use for a place with 10,000 people, three supermarkets, and about ten medical clinics. Just as Omachi with its 30,000 people isn't much of a "city".

I gave a chuckle pity on Tuesday when reading Rusutsu's Facebook page saying to bring ur sunglasses and sun cream for awesome views and top groomers when we were under falling snow and powder turns all day at Teine :)

It was true wasn't laughing though still a great day

Perhaps you are just taking things too literally. Japanese people say "saiaku/saiyaku" at the slightest thing, so I doubt they mean "the worst" as English speakers understand it. A delay of an hour or two on the way home is not going to be the "worst" journey ever. The same goes for "saiko". Most saiko things aren't the best. They're just good enough to be enthusiastic about.

No, I don't think so.

I understand Japanese well enough to know that when people call something 'saiko', it may not always mean 'the absolute best', but at the same time it certainly does not mean distinctly average to poor.

It implies really good, very good, etc.

On the simple scale from saiko to saiyaku, I would even say that some people will currently say that conditions are closer to saiyaku than they are to saiko (* though I'm not saying they are).

Taking the instance in the original post.

The guys who stemik went with may well have said that after their runs, the weather conditions being great yesterday, etc. At the slightest thing, as you say.

But they are not the skijo telling their audience (customers) about snow conditions to expect when they visit and pay their yen.

47 said powder snow and saiko conditions.

By any stretch of the imagination, that is misleading.

If what we have now is 'saiko', what is it when we have 40cm fresh up there? :confused:

The snow reports are posted by the sales/marketing division of the ski jo so they don't have any choice but to put a positive spin on conditions. At my winter job the running joke is that sales/marketing hsn (height new snow) measure is always 25 cm higher than the official measure in the study plots.