Hey guys.

I'll be heading to Japan next week (for 7 weeks), and plan on trying out skiing when I make my way up to Sapporo for the Snow Festival.

I've never been in really cold weather before (heck, I haven't even seen snow \:\) ), so I need some help with regard to what clothing I need to bring along (for skiiing and general wear).

So far I've got the following....but I have a feeling it might not be enough for the cold weather in Japan at the moment:

- Ski pants and ski jacket (Mountain Designs brand)

- 4 pairs of thermals (2 longsleeve tops, 2 longjohns)

- Windproof fleece jacket

- 2 pairs of cotton/polyester cargo pants

- 2 pairs of gloves (1 pair is thin fleece, the other is thicker with this "Thinsulate" material lining the inside)

- Ski goggles (to be borrowed off a friend)

- Thick socks

- 2 pairs T-shirts/long-sleeve shirts

- 2 beanies

- Waterproof hiking boots

- Underwear

OK, so that's my clothing....I'm trying to pack as light as possible because I'll be carrying all this in a backpack, and I plan on washing my clothing as I backpack around Japan.

So apart from the ski stuff I'll have to rent and the clothing I've listed above, is there anything I need to add to deal with the very cold weather?

Regards,

ninja

Thick socks? for skiing??? bad bad move when skiing you want thin socks! thick socks absord a lot of sweat and dont wick it away well and that can cause your feet to get cold quickly, thick socks can bunch up creating pressure spots.

Also when your foot is in the boot you want it tight and snug, no slop. Thick socks are bad for this. So basically you need thin socks and boots that are little smaller than you would need for big thick socks.

You will ski better and more comfortably

I agree with kamoshika on the socks. I hate cold feet and numb toes, but wearing thick socks doesn't help much. Good boots help the insulation the most and thin socks are important for comfort and good control in your skiing. However, I discovered Montbell has some nice thin fleece socks and I find these are great for skiing.

Furthermore, don't be scared by the cold temperatures. I hate the cold and my friends laugh at me for wearing a fleece jacket in my office because I find the air-conditioning too cold. In fact, right now, it's 14C here in Hong Kong, yet I am wearing more now here than when I was in Japan a week ago. What you must have are warm, waterproof shoes, preferrably slip-resistant. Also warm water-proof trousers and a good ski-jacket. Under that you only need a sweat-shirt. Everywhere is well-heated in Japan and for the few minutes when you are outside, you don't really feel it. By the time it gets uncomfortable, you're probably inside again.

While skiing, the above also applies except the shoes become your ski-boots. In addition, good gloves, and a good hood which can protect you face and ears and you will feel just fine.

That's my experience.

kamoshika and Markie, thanks for your advice.

I'll go buy a couple of pair of thin socks as well. \:\)

My ski jacket and ski pants are both waterproof and windproof....lucky I got them on sale and saved a good deal of money!

Cheers.

ninja

yep agree with you there snowbo, neck warmers are the way to go! Just got one as a present in Nov and cant believe Ive been skiing without one until now. Sooooooo good on cold days, so versitle, a bit like skirts really...

I'm not too sure about the "no undies" deal peaker!

SnoboYaro and zwelgen, one of my thermal tops is a turtleneck (covers all my neck)...and my ski jacket zips right up to my chin (also has a hood). This would do the same job as a neck warmer, right??

Cheers.

ninja