What to do when not on the snow in Hokkiado

Ideas please!!!

I'm slightly injured… and the forecast looks woeful (read not good enough to make any pain worth while).

So the question is…. what do you do in Hokkiado in winter if not snowboarding. Seriously, I've never thought about anything other than snowboarding here. So any suggestions would be welcome. We have a car are willing to drive around and have about 5 days to kill.

Thanks guys. We're going to head east through Abashiri to hopefully see the drift ice, then back through Sounkyo and the spa ice festival. We've stayed in Sapporo and Otaru before so decided on somewhere different whilst we have some time.

After that if still no snow then beer and sushi it is...

Sounkyo ice fall festival AT NIGHT is a must. Sorry I forgot that small yet crucial detail. Be sure to walk into the caves which were under the childrens slide last year. I almost missed it, its mind blowing.

We went on the Aurora to see the drift ice. To be honest it was better than I expected - pretty cool (No pun intended).

Then a sightseeing trip up kurodake (the ropeway was running but not the chair).

Then Sounkyo spa ice fall festival. I preferred this to the sapproro festival. The natural formations are more interesting to me than a sculpture of a cartoon character.

I'll post more detail and some pics when I have better internet

But-- the knee is back in action now. We'll I can bend it enough to do bindings up:). So we are in Otaru and on the hunt for snow again. Fun day at Teine today getting some confidence back.

• Like 1