Somehow I misplaced my burton gloves the other day and tore the apartment to pieces trying to find them. No dice, so they must have been donated to the ground somewhere around town. Of course I need another pair before I get out on the mountain was just curious what brands/models people would suggest.

I went to the local sports store but felt like they were seasonally overpriced so decided to shop online after trying on a few pairs.

I'm a big fan of the reusch relation gloves, but they were 120K for the pair. I don't want expensive gloves that are going to soak through after a bit of wet snow, but would pay that much for a good pair of gauntlets that I could keep season after season.

The wife also told me I can get some waterproofing spray for gloves if they start to get damp on me, though I've never heard of anything like that except for boots.

The reusch gloves look good. After destroying the fingertips on every pair of gloves I have ever owned from doing up my ratchets I have decided to stop buying expensive gloves that have exposed stitching on the fingertips (Im not sure if such gloves exist?) or just buy cheapies and spray them with waterproofing.

ATM I have burton goretex gloves that get wet, I might aswell have cheap ones that get wet.

Probably not helpful given where you are, but I've found that the Costco brand (Tryolla) are pretty good. I don't get to use them as much as you guys do, but even in the rain they have kept my hands dry. Only cost 3000yen.

I bought a pair of Trespass gloves about 3 years ago when I was back home.....16 quid....a bargain and they were doing awesome until last month when I caught the rubber tips in my binding ratchet and ripped them open. They were warm and never got wet inside.....I still weep for those gloves :(

Sounds like all my gear is taking a dive on me recently. Board, boots, gloves. I don't want to have to buy all over again next year!

Never heard of the trespass brand... I'll look into them. The Reusch gloves are still staring at me hardcore. I stuck my hand in them at the store and they felt fantastic. But it could be another story out on the mountain.

Sounds like you need a pair of mittens with strings on them so you don't lose them!

Seriously though, the next pair of gloves I'm getting are the Hestra 3 finger gloves. I actually prefer wearing mittens but I want to try this style out.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need a pair of mittens with strings on them so you don't lose them!

Seriously though, the next pair of gloves I'm getting are the Hestra 3 finger gloves. I actually prefer wearing mittens but I want to try this style out.

Thats the sad part! I did have strings, but I got them caught up in the safety bar when I took them off to play with my phone a few weeks ago, when I went to lift the bar (Gloves already back on) they ripped off, so I couldnt use them any more.

Now Hestra I have heard of! Always like hearing what's on everyone's shopping list. I'll check these out too.

I had Burton approach mitts last season, they were shredded after about a month. No Good..

This year I splashed out ¥12k on rakuten for Burton Gondy mitts. They're a mix of leather and goretex and I haven't got wet once, but my hands get sweaty on warm days. They came with some waterproofing wax which I've used once when the leather seemed to be getting damp. I'll probably give them another coat of the wax at the end of this month which should keep them dry til the end of the season. Damage-wise they're still good as new after almost 30 days on the mountain. I'd expect another 2-3 seasons out of them easily the way they're going.

If you get a leather pair of any brand I can definitely recommend 'Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather' for re-sealing them every now and then.

Probably not helpful given where you are, but I've found that the Costco brand (Tryolla) are pretty good. I don't get to use them as much as you guys do, but even in the rain they have kept my hands dry. Only cost 3000yen.

I've got two pairs, the mitts they were selling last year and the gloves this year. I think they're really good for the money, which I recall being about 1800 yen. I'm not sure I would have impulse bought them if they were 3000 ( ;) ). They had some Bolle goggles in this winter which I think were 3000 yen with a spare nighta lens, which was also a bargain and I should really have got some.

Oops, maybe I got the gloves and goggles mixed up. I have the mitts, the gloves and the Bolle goggles. All work great.

I have some bolle goggles and really like them.. though I need a seperate set for nighta.

With my new boots and bindings here, I will want to spend more time out on the slopes so clear lenses are definitely in order.

Heading to the store to night to shop and maybe buy those reusch gloves.....

Sounds like all my gear is taking a dive on me recently. Board, boots, gloves. I don't want to have to buy all over again next year!

Never heard of the trespass brand... I'll look into them. The Reusch gloves are still staring at me hardcore. I stuck my hand in them at the store and they felt fantastic. But it could be another story out on the mountain.

I think they are a British brand.......I've bought some pants off of em before and they were pretty good value......cheap :)

I am now rocking a pair of lobster mitts, they are a no name brand and my mate gave them to me (they may well have been robbed from somewhere, he has a penchant for nicking stuff from shops) but they are great, warm, stay dry and the finger and thumb free style makes binding tweaking, coat zipping and boots tightening a doddle.

Oh yeah. As for waterproofing you can use Nikwax, which is a product that can either be washed in or sprayed on. Also, I use Scotch Guard spray (it has the added bonus of keeping away Scottish people TubbyBeaverinho)

haha.....it'll take more than that to keep us scots away......you may be unable to drink decent whisky, however! ;)

I got the Hestra heli gloves. A bit pricey at 10K but they are nice - big gauntlets to prevent powder going in there. They also have wrist cuff things so you can take the gloves off on lifts etc without worrying about losing them. I've no idea how durable they are because I've only just got them. They are lobster/3 finger style so I guess they should be pretty warm although I haven't tested them in blowing gale freezing cold weather yet.

Personally I've had good experiences with hybrid leather and fabric gloves. Currently I'm using Analog Diligent gloves which have leather palms, fingers and finger tips and water proof fabric elsewhere. Like Rockhand's gloves, these came with a sachet of liquid wax which helps to seal the seams nicely. I have long bony fingers so I can get away with using women specific gloves so I've saved money by using these in the past. I used a pair of Burton Tactics women's gloves for 5 seasons (same deal leather inside, fabric outside) and although they did soak through every now again (mostly while riding in late season rain), they had removable inners which meant drying them didn't take long at all.

Although my current gloves are well made, I'm not convinced that there's much difference between name brand gear and the no name stuff. I suspect that they're all made in the same handful of factories in China with about the same level of quality control. Probably what I will do when my gloves die is to buy some el cheapos for 1000 yen or maybe the costco ones and just spray them with silicone spray.

had Black Diamond leather and goretex gloves for the last 3 seasons which were great and still very servicable. warm and i never had them wet out on me. this season i splurged and got leather Hestra 3-finger gloves which have been awesome so far. need to go back to japan for further glove testing...

Ended up just getting a 40 dollar pair that worked ok this morning before heading to the slopes. I went to grab the reusch gloves but only had 6000 in my wallet and wasn't about to go back and forth for an ATM before getting on the mountain.

They did get a bit wet but I didn't fall or stay in the snow very long, so I think they were too hot and my hands sweat a good bit. First world problems I guess.

My other yearly glove suggestion is don't use them to wipe icy snow off stuff, such as your windscreen. It's the easiest way to wreck them, even the expensive ones. Buy some cheapo gloves or a brush(!) to do that.