Planning an outing for the kid and me during the school break in late March.

Been looking at package tours, with an eye to where the snow has been falling so far this year, and am leaning towards Niseko, with secondary feelers out for Rusutsu. Thing is, I would like a town (restaurant options), but within walking distance to the slopes (so that I can get gnarly while the kid is resting up), which makes Niseko look the better option.

One concern is the language barrier -- I don't speak Australian, and neither does the kid. Perhaps not an issue at that time of year?

Other possibilities, casting a wider net, would be Tomamu (more expensive), Sapporo (Teine, etc. -- mendoukusai?), Appi Kogen (could drive there), Kagura (been there done that), or something in Nagano... Ryuo, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa Onsen, Hakuba... places I have heard of only in legend.

Anyway, I'm flexible, but leaning towards Niseko, given the snowfall reports so far this year. Any good reason to consider elsewhere?

I'm taking it that Mt Granview is all booked up, Metabo Oyaji?

;)

Based on the season so far, it's hard to recommend anywhere in these parts compared to up there.

Though as you very probably know, Kagura is usually good into April and open until late May.

*Just realized you mention Kagura.

I'm taking it that Mt Granview is all booked up, Metabo Oyaji?

;)

Based on the season so far, it's hard to recommend anywhere in these parts compared to up there.

Though as you very probably know, Kagura is usually good into April and open until late May.

*Just realized you mention Kagura.

Yeah, Kagura is dependable late season, but... I want to try somewhere new.

Mt. Granview must be fully booked up, as of course it would be. Doesn't even show up on the package tour options. (!)

Teine was rats late March last year.....but if u had ur car u would be able to drive to Rusutsu, Niseko, Kokusai, Teine or Kiroro from Sapporo, depending on conditions

Probably won't bother with a car. Looking at simply a plain package tour, airplane to Shin Chitose plus bus to hotel, nothing beyond that.

So, safe to cross Teine off the list for late March? Or worth keeping in the mix?

But now that you mention it, how is Kiroro? Worth thinking about?

I only have last March as a guide.....there was loads of snow cover but it was pretty icy n bumpy. That said I didn't know the mountain as well as I do now so maybe would be ok.

Haven't been to Kiroro yet.....1 more day on my pass and Ive broken even so days to other resorts will be on the agenda

I had some great powder days mid to late March in Kiroro last winter, but I don't know if you'd want to do more than a couple nights there. You really only have the option of staying at the hotel/eating hotel food. Can't go wrong with Niseko, the crowd situation is going to be a lot better and the snow should still be going strong, it just makes the most sense probably.

All depends on the year really, like anywhere. I've had some amazing powder days right up till late March at Niseko including one year where we had a 40cm dump on the last day but to be honest, by then, it's best to expect Spring conditions. Some years March can have little snowfall at all. Both Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai have significantly higher base areas and what might be rain at the base of Niseko can still be snow right to the base at those areas. Still if you're looking for a nice little town/village feel with a variety of restaurants/bars etc. you're much better off in Niseko Hirafu. After mid March you shouldn't have any problems getting accomm and it'll be very quiet up on the mountain.

Mt. Granview must be fully booked up, as of course it would be. Doesn't even show up on the package tour options. (!)

Hardly surprising is it. No doubt packages for next season will be available soon. Remember to Book Early to avoid disappoinment!

;)

U don't speak Australian??? Then definitely avoid Niseko!!!!!

I wouldn't go to Rusutsu for longer than a few days, especially if u want a town/village to explore and eat it (only 4 or 5 eating choices at Rusutsu)

Niseko would be a better choice for food options (but much less Japanese cultural experience if that's what u also want?)

I had fresh snow at Asahidake last year on April 22nd!!!! Dumping ALL day!! Asahikawa has some nice onsen hotels and other things to see and do (waaaaay better experience of Japan compared to Niseko!). Only problem is....the courses (?) at Asahidake are very high level. I don't know about u and ur kids ski/board abilities??

The further north u go, the more chance of snow!

Teine was rats late March last year.....but if u had ur car u would be able to drive to Rusutsu, Niseko, Kokusai, Teine or Kiroro from Sapporo, depending on conditions

Probably won't bother with a car. Looking at simply a plain package tour, airplane to Shin Chitose plus bus to hotel, nothing beyond that.

So, safe to cross Teine off the list for late March? Or worth keeping in the mix?

But now that you mention it, how is Kiroro? Worth thinking about?

This is Teine on March 24th last year.

You still get decent days up there late in the season.

Thanks for the feedback so far, folks.

Not too concerned about cultural experience. Actually, going some place where I'm not the only foreigner on the mountain would be a novelty.

Terrain-wise, Asahidake sounds a bit rough for the kid (who likes flat and smooth these days, ever since becoming a boarder...).

As for restaurants, I'm mainly thinking that would be cheaper than eating at the hotel all the time. Are there any convenience stores at Rusutsu, by the way? I know there is the famous Seico Mart at Niseko.

Teine looks nice for that time of year! But yeah, I would be prepared for spring skiing. Not excited about the possibility of rain, but can't control that.

Have to do some reading up in the Now! reports...

Rusutsu has 2 convinis across from the hotel....a Seicomart and a 7-11

In terms of Sapporo u could stay in the city and have all the food options there and get a bus to resort each day......you could choose which resort has best conditions day before and book the bus of ur choice......Teine, Kokusai or Kiroro. Rusutsu as well but that's a 2 hr bus ride

Last March was really warm across the country, so everywhere would have been pretty bad. I wouldn't use March 2013 to judge anywhere. March isn't a busy time, so I reckon you could leave it a while and see what happens with the snow. If it were just me and a kid and I lived Tohoku way, I stick the car on a ferry and go to Hokkaido for a road trip.

Last March was really warm across the country, so everywhere would have been pretty bad. I wouldn't use March 2013 to judge anywhere. March isn't a busy time, so I reckon you could leave it a while and see what happens with the snow. If it were just me and a kid and I lived Tohoku way, I stick the car on a ferry and go to Hokkaido for a road trip.

Hey, that is a great idea! Unfortunately, this trip will only be for a few days, so price and time-wise the ferry doesn't make the most sense. But will keep that in mind for the future.

Niseko rocks, even if th snow is bulletproof. You can't go wrong with the big N. And there are discounts for some lodges in March.

I reckon it's just something that has to be done, regardless of conditions.

Based on package availability, leaning towards 3.5 days in Niseko, then overnight in Sapporo, followed by half a day at Kiroro and plane home...

Would have gone for Teine the last day, but the bus from there to the airport seems to leave too late for my purposes. For some reason Kiroro seems to have more bus options, even though it is farther from the airport. (Am I missing something?)

Niseko rocks, even if th snow is bulletproof. You can't go wrong with the big N. And there are discounts for some lodges in March.

I reckon it's just something that has to be done, regardless of conditions.

Based on package availability, leaning towards 3.5 days in Niseko, then overnight in Sapporo, followed by half a day at Kiroro and plane home...

Would have gone for Teine the last day, but the bus from there to the airport seems to leave too late for my purposes. For some reason Kiroro seems to have more bus options, even though it is farther from the airport. (Am I missing something?)

you can take a train direct from Teine station to the airport.......what time is your flight? Shuttle bus from Teine resort is at 3.30pm, gets down to station about 4pm......rapid airport train at 4.26pm