Grand Targhee Wyoming, after an overnight dump of the lightest, coldest dry stuff I'd ever - and to this day, still - ever experienced. We were up at Jackson Hole for a few days and just decided to check out Grand Targhee for that one day. What a day it turned out to be...

Have not made it to Hokkaido yet though either. am itchin to go.

Niseko. Overnight 30cm dump of ultra dry pow. Clearest of clear mornings and did the asa ichi. Made more magic because I did it with my best friend. We still talk about it 5 years after it happened. Toque. Why do you always bag Niseko? Did you get your pass pulled there or something?

Best: I think I was floating on a freaky vapor cloud once at Hachimantai. I sure wasn't touching any Earth!

gti, I heard they get some pretty sic dry pow in Wyoming. Is the terrain good too?

I've been checking out the webpages on hachimantai recently - it looks really nice. Off course is fine just like Hakkoda and with the current passcard system the lift passes are quite cheap. I think I might head up there later this season to check it out. Snow won't be so good at the end of the month I expect, but it still should be fun.

English:

http://www.boardtheworld.com/templates/btw/page/page_standard.php?secID=168&TravelTripReportsID=19

Japanese:

http://www12.ocn.ne.jp/~hachikan/

http://outdoor.yahoo.co.jp/snow/view/gn0080/

http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~tom-boy/snow-ski/ski_area/sarea04002.html

not very exotic, but would also have to say niseko. spending a season there was pretty sweet, blah blah blah, i'm sure everyone's heard it all a million times already though. the nighta there really is unbelievable.

next season i'm coming back to japan, this time gonna ride lotsa different places

Kintaro, have only been to Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole in WY. GT isnt actually that big of a resort, area-wise, and from what I recall seemed relatively tame. it seemed to be more a local area but the snow that day was out of this world..

aside from areas in Europe that are linked, etc, you're not going to find many places w/ the magnitude of terrain and the mountain itself at Jackson Hole. the place is huge. We went when it was a bad snow yr and almost half the area was closed..didn't get to ski down the whole left, bottom side though what was open was a lot of fun. you lay tracks where you want. everything is basically off piste. Definitely hope to return some day.

Maybe others can provide insight into other areas in WY...

too hard to answer, really take your pick of a bunch of places and days.

I remember one sweet day in A-basin Colorado and another epic day at Keystone.

Porter Heights in NZ had 90cm of fresh (and 90000 people calling in sick for work in Christchurch) one Wednesday many moons ago. I got one sweet run in and after that the whole mountain was massacred.

Japan I really cant remember one day above the others, that is how lucky we are in this place.

I've had so many sick lines since I've come to Japan it's hard to say.

One memory that has always stuck is my first taste of powder at treble cone. It was my second week of boarding and until then all the other places I had been were like mountains of boiler plate. It dumped overnight, the sun came out in the morning,soooo good.

I've had heaps better lines since but that feeling of getting freshies for the first time I'll never forget.

Oh toque to obviously identify Niseko as NOT where you got your best pow as opposed to any other ski field in Japan is bagging the place! Hey dude be honest with us all. What makes someone dislike a ski field so much?

mugnuts cause toque rips and wants a challenge. powder and no challenge is freaking fun but... when you add that with rocks trees and at least 35 average to 40 degrees steepness its that much better. Niseko really doesnt have that, it has some but in the end you must hike. plus the mountain is half the size of say happo in vertical meters

Quote:
Originally posted by yoroshiku onegai shimasu:
Where's the best snow you've ever ridden?

(Perhaps we should make this an "other than Niseko" question ;\) )
Well Mugnuts look at the brackets of the original question with the little winky face there.
To me the little winky face means that YOS thinks that Niseko has the best snow.
In my reply I said I didn't get the best snow I have ever skied at in Niseko. What is wrong with that?
If you read through my journals on my insider page you will notice that last year when I went to Niseko for 3 weeks it was during a very late season. And so I didn't get to ski the deep powder very often. But what I did ski I really enjoyed and did plan on going back. That is until my eyes where opened to the resorts of Gifu and Nagano where as Fattwins said you can ski runs of 35-40 degrees if not steeper with all sorts of varying terrain thrown in to mix things up and challenge me as a skier.
I don't mind the international feel of Niseko. Cheaper than flying home to speak english in restaurants and talk to english speaking people. Although most of the time I don't know what they are saying. I don't however feel that as a mountain it deserves the attention it gets.

Shit that was fast. If you are here and posting like that so fast you should be posting more often ;\)

Well then I didn't get the meaning of the little winky face. My bad.

And just to add one more time

Best snow I have skied was last year at a tiny little resort in northern Gifu. 40 degrees with the lightest and deepest snow I have ever skied.