optional.

if you can't handle the decision making involved in deciding to wear protection or not, you should probably not be on the slopes in the first place.

does that make sense? i know what i mean.

its late. im going to bed.

Optional, but.....mandatory if you want to play in the Park or Pipe. Fence of the park and pipe and make it mandatory to wear a helmet in those places only, so if you dont ride those places then you dont need a helmet.

Those two places are the most dangerous places, hard packed snow and especially the pipe, rock hard ice at time, more than hard enough to rattle your brains.

who would inforce? ski patroller maybe?

I have thought about a helmet especially when wizzing through the trees, it only takes a heartbeat and you're a vegetable for life

Unfortunately, huckster, you need a damn helmet. Do it once, shame on me. Do it twice, shame on you... That's not the saying, but applies here. You da retard! haha!

How's the neck feeling????

as a strong believer in personal decision making, optional, but there should definately be a push for people to use helmets, especially in the park/pipe.

There are always, ALWAYS ski patrol sirens going off in the 47 park, and I have witnessed my fair share of accidents, where falls don`t even look that bad, but people are holding their heads for 10+ minutes before hobbling off the hill, no doubt concussed, is it worth a head injury to look cool ?

If you are pushing it, trying big tricks, that you haven`t done before, do yourself a favor for chrissakes.

I was reading an article in the National Geographic Adventure the other day and it was saying that helmets do little to protect from concussion and it is mostly fractures that a helment would prevent. It also said that unless you are a male between 16 and 20 or something the chances of you getting a fractured noggin were pretty slim, something like 1 in 30,000 days riding maybe?

I dont really know much about this just what I read. Oh and it did say that helmets increase your chances of whiplash if they dont fit perfectly and overheating - obviously those people havent been on the ridge at Nozawa!

Sorry I was meaning the top of the skyline course. You need to ride it to get back to the carpark and its FREEZING on a bad day. Just big time exposed. But theres plenty of places at any resort that in windy whiteout conditions you freeze. ya know what I mean?

I think they should be optional, but there use could be encouraged more.

I would also say optional in the park, but make it clear that it would be preferred if you wore a helmet.

A lot more consumer education is required about their use, but the last decision whould be that of hte user.

I think helmets protect against concussion. The difference between whacking your nut on the ice with or without a helmet is no headache and a bad headache. I have had whiplash on occasion though when coming to sudden stops (when ploughing into snowbanks - not particularly necessary to do anyway.)

Yeah helmets are great for trees, mine is so banged up, that I`m sure my head would be split open 10 times if I hadn`t been wearing it.

And I`m 99% sure that my helmet has protected me against concussion on two occasions. The first time, whilst I was learning how to drop in on an icy halfpipe, I just straight fell off it 10 feet onto my head, but got up no problem, with only the wind knocked out of me. The second time I went off a big tabletop, and planed out backwards, landing on the concrete-ice landing on my back and the back of my head. hurt a bit, but would have split me had I not been wearing the helmet.

wooo interesting article - nope dont want a scar like that on my head! So according to that article most pros dont like wearing helmets and that certianly seems to be true for the small number of vids Ive seen where except for the big mountain riders no one appears to have a lid on. Is it just uncool or what? That scar sure is not cool \:\(

Hi G-G. I*m in Bristol at the mo, back in Japan on Fri with my new boots and bindings.

BRING IT ON!

(That*s a nasty ole scar matey*s got on his bonce, but the lil girls look alright to me...)