• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would not even consider a 2wd. Japan is full of awd cars for a reason.

Exactly!!!! If you can afford it go for 4WD it will make your life easier on the few occasions you need it. Never let woman decide a car it will always end in disaster. They choose cars because of c

Yes and no! My wife's K-car is 2WD but my Delica is 4WD. After owning 4WD cars for many years now there is no way I would want to drive a 2WD in snow anything more than a couple of cm's or so especially with it being so up and down here in the mountains.

4WD cost more to buy obviously, but if you live or plan to make regular trips to snowy areas, stick with 4WD or AWD.

Another advantage is the newer cars with AWD also have traction control, where-by all four wheels are controlled by the cars computer, so it adjust the torque to each wheel as required or as a wheel tries to slip allowing you to corner in snow without the car sliding out of control. 4WD only doesn't have this, you need AWD or like my Delica is where it has both AWD and 4WD lock modes. 2WD cars don't have this either, as far as I know.

4WD LOCK is exactly that all 4 wheels lock and drive together, giving you maximum traction to get out of deep snow, mud etc.

AWD all 4 wheels drive, but are not locked so torque can be divided at different rates for each wheel according to conditions, all controlled by the computer.

AWD gives you the benefit of the traction control where as 4WD lock doesn't have.

I drive my car in AWD mode and only switch to 4WD if I can't get out of somewhere on AWD mode.

I had a front wheel Drive sedan for a few years. Definitely had some sketchy moments in the mountains.

Going up wasn't really an issue for the most part, but coming back down was a white knuckle ride for sure!

I wouldn't get another 2WD here, especially not a rear wheel drive :omg:

My car back home:

DSCF1028.jpg

I'd love to have the same thing here in Japan (Subaru Impreza WRX STI)

Or anything subaru for that matter. Gas mileage is terrible, but that's why you have this then a family car for those long distance trips!

Subaru FTW

I got talked out of buying a Subaru by my garage guy. They are also significantly more expensive then the car I was looking at.

Also, having two cars would be insane for my wife and I since we both commute to work by train and bike. We only ever use the car on weekends and holidays.

What did your garage guy say? I've got a Subaru Impresa Sport. One of the first of the new model. (and the first to go back to Subaru for repairs after an accident, #### scooters who don't look where they are going). It wasn't any more expensive than a comparable hatch back. I checked out similar cars from Toyota and Mazda and the price was roughly the same.

He was basically saying that the engines are crap, hard to service and that they don't last as long as other cars. I'll have to give the Impresa sport another look but I didn't think it was big enough for what I like to do - boarding, camping and surfing. I'm looking more towards a wagon or van.

He was basically saying that the engines are crap, hard to service and that they don't last as long as other cars. I'll have to give the Impresa sport another look but I didn't think it was big enough for what I like to do - boarding, camping and surfing. I'm looking more towards a wagon or van.

May just be a bad experience. I'm a fan of the H4 engine personally. Never heard of any issues with standard 2.0L H4 engines, but as for the 2.5L turbo charged engines back in 2007-2008, they had issues with the #4 ringlands on the pistons failing and causing engine failure. Need new engines after that basically. They fixed the issues after those years, but they were specific to the high power/high performance models, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. Also haven't heard about higher maintenance costs... Four of my family members back home have subarus, from outbacks to forresters and they dont need more work than other cars. Don't think parts and repairs would be more expensive here in the domestic market but I'm speaking without personal experience here.

The wife and I are looking to get a new (中古) car within a year and I have my eyes set on a Subaru of some sort as a fan(boy) and for the reliability.

The outback sport/impreza hatch should have plenty of trunk space for most needs. Roof rack helps go a long way too.

2012.Impreza.SLC117.jpg

2008_Subaru_Impreza_2.5i_hatch_front_2.jpg

I've had two Subarus now and never had any engine issues. the boxer engine is a little harder to DIY service, but it's a solid engine.

Depends on how many people you will carry. For two the Sport, or the XV would be big enough, especially with the seats folded down. Tackypsychia's pictures are of the previous model, but there's about the same amount of space inside.

I've just put roof racks on my Impresa, as the kids get bigger the car is getting smaller. The roof racks are from Subaru, aero bars, look very much like the Thule ones. Would take a surf board no problem, might be a stretch to take two side by side.

Subaru's are interesting. Like the cars a lot.... and they got a bad rap from the late 90's and early 2000's. Lots of head gasket failures in the first generation 2.5L and second generation 2.2L engines. However,,, they are a pretty easy fix (~1000 bucks) and after are really rock solid. Other than that....I think they are a pretty good value especially slightly used.

2wd or 4wd depends on the car. A front wheel drive with good snow tires and/or a set of chains is really all you are ever going to need....realistically. My 2005 Nissan Super long High roof beast of van was a rear WD and even with snow tires AND rubber chains was horrible on anything other than flat ground. Now....LandCruiser....no explanation necessary there..

Heading to Honda and Subaru on Saturday. Any comments on the Forester? The entry level one seems to be pretty reasonably priced. We are actually in the process of trying to start a family :evilgrin: and my wife is hoping to get something a little higher off the ground for getting a baby in and out of the car. It's not easy finding an SUV type family car, is it? She is suggesting a Honda Freed but I would rather light a huge stack off cash on fire than buy one of those ugly things.

Don't live in snow country but am a Subaru die hard.

All I have ever owned actually, and I have never had issues with reliability.

My last one was an 1999 impreza sport model hatch, got it 2nd hand at ~ 100,000 km and drove it through to 195,000 km with no servicing in 6 years other than an oil change. Loved the grippy feeling of AWD and decent suspension. Would still be driving this car but I got T-boned at an intersection and was forced to upgrade to a newer model impreza.

Have heard many good reports of AWD performance in snow conditions, and also the safety rating of the subarus is 5 star for occpuant safety

Heading to Honda and Subaru on Saturday. Any comments on the Forester? The entry level one seems to be pretty reasonably priced. We are actually in the process of trying to start a family :evilgrin: and my wife is hoping to get something a little higher off the ground for getting a baby in and out of the car. It's not easy finding an SUV type family car, is it? She is suggesting a Honda Freed but I would rather light a huge stack off cash on fire than buy one of those ugly things.

How about Mitsubishi Delica it is a big car very high off the ground and will go through nearly anywhere.

The delica is a SUV. I really like it and find way better than my Escudor I had before that. But all down to preferance of course.

Anyway now going to clip my boots into my skis and go for a slide.

The forester is nice cross over type car I think. I looked at them, too. What about a 4~7 year old Pajero? Higher up off the ground, true 4x4 performance, good reliability, very comfortable and quite roomy and safe. Or even a Delica D5 like Snowdude has. Nice family vehicles.

Come on by one day and take my 80 series for a spin to really screw with your sensibilities....haha.

• SnowJapan Admin

I manage in a 2WD Celica here in Minamiuonuma, with frequent trips over to Gunma and Nagano in winter.

Obviously with snow tyres on.

Don't really have issues, though I recall it being a bit dicy going up to Zao Onsen and Marunuma Kogen.

We usually hop into my wifes Subaru when going anywhere particularly icy.

I think next time I'll go back to a 4WD, but I just liked this car too much to be put off by the 2WD thing when I got it.

This is the thing I'm really struggling with... We don't live in snow country. Far from it as it never snows here. The vast majority of my driving is done in the mountains around Izu when I'm heading to the beach. However, we do spend a few weeks worth of driving in snowy, mountainous places every year. I have no experience driving a 2WD in those type of places as I've had the AWD for almost 10 years now. Oh, decisions...

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes well it does snow here a fair bit of course.

Though it doesn't get crazy cold and icy in Minamiuonuma as much as it does in some places - which is probably an important point.

I don't know too much about cars so won't pretend to know more than that!

Snow conditions aside you will definitely get much better driving performance and safety from an AWD with traction control - rain, gravel patches on road etc..

That's part of the reason why I'm such a fan of subaru

BM, I understand what you wife is thinking. When our twins were born we brought a Mazda MPV 4WD.

Best car ever for kids.

Why?

Well its higher up for starters, so easy to put baby in and out.

Has sliding doors so no matter how close the person beside you parks, you always have the whole of the open door to use.

Third row of seats folds down flat, so a stroller can fit in, unfolded. When you are out and about being able to put the stroller straight in the back, without taking everything out of the pockets, the underside and all the other storage places that fill with baby stuff, is just a fantastic time saver. Our twin stroller fitted in the back of the MPV fully upright, there were even times when I put it in the back with the kids still in the stroller, to quickly get them out of the rain.

Because there is a gap between the front and middle seats, it is possible to move about inside while the car is moving. Perfect for when one of the kids starts screaming when you are driving along.

Note most of the above also applies to the Delica

(note also our MPV was the 2nd Gen version 1999-2006, the current version is a bit lower, so you would need to check if a stroller fit in unfolded. On an unrelated note, Phil and Teds Strollers are now being sold here in Japan. Made in NZ, excellent strollers, especially if you want something that will handle more than just the local mall)

I don't know if the forester is any smaller here in JDM but I've enjoyed driving that as well. Took the father in law on a 20 hour road trip to Canada and through during the winter and was very comfortable and reliable. Probably not as big as some for a large family car but plenty of flexibility for a family of four.

I'll probably argue with the wife over what to get. Me a Impreza, her a Forester. Little does she know, I win either way.

Good luck with the choice. Buying new cars can be a pain!