Well, I just got wheels, and I'm hoping to do a couple of trips to the mountains.

I was wondering about snow tires/chains/socks etc.

First I planned to get snow chains for my rear (driving) wheels, but it was difficult to ge them in my tire size and there's not much clearance (the user manual actually says I can't use chains) so I ended up getting a pair of snow socks.

Then I thought about the front wheels and in the end I picked up a pair of snow tires for cheap.

Now I'm wondering.... should I just put the snow tires on the rear wheels and hope that manages for the most part and maybe put the snow socks on the front wheels if it gets hard to steer.

Or, should I put the snow tires on the front wheels and definitely use the socks on the rear when it gets snowy.

Or should I also get a pair of snow chains and hope they fit because neither snow tires nor socks will be any good in the mountains.

I really don't know how well either snow socks or snow tires will perform in the mountains - I know they are OK on snow on flat roads but on hills and so on.....

The tires on my car now are pretty hard compound summer tires and I'm pretty sure will perform badly on the snow.

Forget chains. You will more than likely damage something, take it from someone who has torn a brake line off with chains lol.

Get yourself another 2 snowtyres, mismatching summer and winter tyres is a great way to wreck your car. Think of how much money you could lose if you dont buy those 2 tyres, they really are cheap.

I would recommend spending a bit more and getting another couple of snow tires. Cars don't handle very well with two different types of tires. There have been a number of accidents in NZ caused by cars imported from Japan running a mixture of snow and non snow tires.

If it gets bad enough that they put check points on the expressway, I don't think snow socks will pass. Has to be either snow tires or chains.

(I've never seen enforced check points on the Tohoku or Ban-Etsu -- they just close the highway entirely instead -- but have encountered them on the Kan-Etsu.)

I'd get another 2 snow tires, to be safe.

I'll add to the consensus.

You NEED a full set of snow tires to get the benefit. (i.e 4). Don't worry about chains. Even without 4WD you can handle most slopes with a set of snow tires. It's 70% proper tires and 30% proper driving technique. But you need both in bad conditions to drive safely. While you can drive like crap and manage ok with snow tires most of the time, even with proper technique no snow tires can get you stranded. Summer tires are way way too hard in the cold.

Check out this other post many have commented on about driving in the snow.

http://www.snowjapan...uring-february/

Chains are a pain in the arse, and they bugger up your car. When I first came to Japan I bought some snow chains to put on a rental car we had 2WD, with normal tyres, we got stuck in snow with it, they were useless, and such a hassle to take on and off. That is why I then decided to by a 4WD car!

You are better off with snow tyres and MAKE sure you put snow tyres on all 4 wheels. If you only have 2 on the front and summer tyres on the back, you may well find the back of your car trying to overtake the front, if you get my drift!!!

Well, my car is RWD so I wouldn't put them on the front. I don't have lot of space for storing spare tires but I'll see about getting another couple. In the meantime I'll put the snow tires on the back and put the snow socks on front as soon as there's a covering of snow on the road. I guess its not ideal but I think that should give me roughly similar traction front and rear.

Sounds like snow chains not worth the bother? I'm not sure I have enough clearance for them anyway.

I do remember one time going to Nekoma in my friends car with chains on front and on one downhill section we suddenly found ourselves going backwards! Then a car coming the other way did the exact same thing!

Gary, it's not really about the traction. It's about the cars handling. Mixing snow tires and summer tires is not a good idea. Mess's with the handling, and any of the safety features of the car, ie ABS, traction control.

Raorrrr.....!! I have arrived just in time.... (glance over at my avatar!!)

Do not pass GO!! Do not collect $200....!! Do not...............!! (you get the picture) .. :D

Ya...running two different tread patterns is bad enough but running two different seasonal compounds is down right dangerous. AND...your insurance may give you issues should you get in an accident. Just called my friend who is an adjuster here in Japan ..and yes......it could be a factor in dividing up the responsibility percentages. Suggest getting a couple snowys to match the two you already have. Same brand would be ideal but not necessary.

Autosocks are pretty good. They're not something I'd ever buy as I can't be bothered farting around putting them on and taking them off. Just put on snow tires and be done with it. For me it's just about as fast to jack up the car and spin on a dedicated rim/tire set than to be by the side of the road reaching in my dirty wheel wells....

Definitely not just a Japan thing. From what I heard they work quite well but you must only drive them on snow-covered roads otherwise they wear out in no time at all.

I'm gonna get another pair of snow tires and keep the socks in case I get stuck.