What the heck is it with you getting the snow and not us.

:grandpa:

It's still raining here.

:grandpa:

I guess because of our altitude and location, saying that some of the lower areas of Yamanashi are also getting snow now

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them you've registered rainjapan.com and are moving the site over. Your logo can be a telephone box in the middle of a huge puddle.

Deeeeep day at Sapporo Kokosai. Easily mid thigh in places. Deepest day of the trip for sure.

Heading back up the hill today......beautiful bluebird today, no new snow but there'll be plenty left from yesterday in the trees   Got a mate in tow as his flight was cancelled yesterday and he ha

GB, please keep us updated- I want to head to Kawaba this weekend!

I would guess Kawaba is getting a good amount of snow and hopefully will be getting some dry powder Thursday and Friday. I was thinking of going to either Kawaba, Kagura or White World Oze Iwakura this weekend. When will you be at Kawaba?

I have to wait until Sunday, sadly- Damn work/training getting in the way *grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble*

It's a three way toss-up between Marunuma, Oze Iwakura or Kawaba. Buying the red-eye bus ticket today; which would you say is best? I've only been to Marunuma, but really like it, Kawaba is grabbing my attention but the lady is liking the look of the other. But seeing as it's me who is buying the tickets, Kawaba is leading the way :p

I have to wait until Sunday, sadly- Damn work/training getting in the way *grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble*

It's a three way toss-up between Marunuma, Oze Iwakura or Kawaba. Buying the red-eye bus ticket today; which would you say is best? I've only been to Marunuma, but really like it, Kawaba is grabbing my attention but the lady is liking the look of the other. But seeing as it's me who is buying the tickets, Kawaba is leading the way :p

I've never been to Maunuma but like both Kawaba and Iwakura a lot. All three should have great snow. What kind of rider are you? Iwakura is really nice for straight riding and off-piste but doesn't have any park features worth mentioning. Kawaba has a bit of everything but less variety of courses (That said Kawaba has nice variety just not as much as Iwakura). I think Kawaba is better for easy close to the trail powder and has some tree runs that intermediate riders can hit. Both have great advanced level off-piste. I might be at Kawaba on Sunday if your interested in meeting up for a couple runs :)

Light wet snow sleet rain mix now. We gor about 25cm in the end. Hopefully will turn back to drier snow soon we will see.

Will be snow just a little higher up though.

Ive been to Marunuma itwice ts a nice resort but a long drive to get there from Numata IC or by bus although not sure how long a bus will take from the shink station over an hour I guess.

The snow has stopped and looks like the storm we had is passed. We ended up with about 25cm of fresh so not to bad not a huge amount but a good refresh.

You peeps on the other side should get your snow now.

I've never been to Maunuma but like both Kawaba and Iwakura a lot. All three should have great snow. What kind of rider are you? Iwakura is really nice for straight riding and off-piste but doesn't have any park features worth mentioning. Kawaba has a bit of everything but less variety of courses (That said Kawaba has nice variety just not as much as Iwakura). I think Kawaba is better for easy close to the trail powder and has some tree runs that intermediate riders can hit. Both have great advanced level off-piste. I might be at Kawaba on Sunday if your interested in meeting up for a couple runs :)

That's cool, I'd love to do that if you don't mind me slowing you down!

Truth is, lady peetan isn't so keen on semai runs. The wider routes will win I think. Personally I like the idea of tree dodging (not a park person and with a karate tourney not too far away I don't want to damage myself too much!), but if iwakura is wider, it will win out.

Do you have a link for that?

:p

don't worry, I'll get it myself...

EDIT- Okidoke chief, rules noted. Any way I can help Mr Mick out with his current predicament?

Edited by Peetan

Peetan how do you feel being on the slopes all day after a night on a bus? Are you able to get any sleep? I am moving to Tokyo from Niigata soon and will be looking at similar options to get my snow fix next season. The consensus here seems to be that the Shinkansen to Yuzawa area is the best day trip option. I like the idea of being able to hit some new and more remote resorts though and I like first lift fresh. (Who doesn't?)

Anyway, I am keen to hear about any experiences opinionsabout the late night snow buses. Have a safe journey.

In keeping with the original topic, rain here in Shibata right now with about 2cm of snow by tomorrow morning forecast. We really need a top up here.

It is still raining heavily here. Big damage today I imagine, maybe even up there at Mt Granview.

But the forecast is for up to 20cm snow overnight so hopefully things will look different in the morning.

I'll be honest- if you can afford the shink, do it. The first time I took an overnighter I couldn't sleep at all. It has improved since, though. Also, the recent crash that was on the news has made me think twice about taking busses again.

However, that said, for god's sake don't take a weekend morning bus to the Yuzawa area. The way I see it, whether you take it at night or in the morning, you'll be on the damned thing for 6 hours on the way there.

If you can make it up to Kita Senju/Asakusa/Koshigaya/Kasukabe, there is an overnight train that goes to Aizu Takatsue or Takahata for first snow on fridays-sundays, which is actually pretty comfy if the carriages are empty and you can turn the seats around.

Energy-wise, I don't feel too bad. Give me a brew and a brekkie and I'm usually good to go. If I can't sleep I bring a movie, which usually does the trick. Last time, I didn't even need it.

Actually I'd say the worst thing about the buses is the short slope time you get, leaving early doors as well. Shink definitely wins on that one, hardly any time for an onsen with most buses leaving 16:30-17:00. Resting on the way back shouldn't be an issue though!

For some reason I can't seem to use the quote function tonight but u-tan, I've used nightbuses a few times from Shinjuku and as Peetan says, it's difficult to sleep on the way! A combination of a decent breakfast and adrenaline keeps me going during the day and then a tired body and a few beers from the resort shop/vending machine (remembering that you can't buy them from the service area shops) makes me sleep on the way back!! I've never done an early morning bus trip and never would, because you'd lose the best part of the day. Hopefully I'm going to take another nightbus tomorrow night! :thumbsup:

Don't worry Muika, everything looks better in the morning! ;)