Hi all

I’m lawrence and have bought my airtickets, arriving Hokkaido on !6 March 2014. My wife, 2 kids (aged 11 and 8) and I are planning to ski for the first time. I have been considering Tomamu Hoshino and checking on the weather forecast for Tomamu. It seems that snowfall is decreasing and I’m not sure whether it will be good during the period 16 March 2014 to 20 March. We may instead go to Niseko if the weather is not conducive for skiing during that period. Any tips on this please? Thanks.

(I have checked the different subforums and done a search on Tomamu, and am not sure whether this is the correct thread/subforum to post this question.)

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them you've registered rainjapan.com and are moving the site over. Your logo can be a telephone box in the middle of a huge puddle.

Deeeeep day at Sapporo Kokosai. Easily mid thigh in places. Deepest day of the trip for sure.

Heading back up the hill today......beautiful bluebird today, no new snow but there'll be plenty left from yesterday in the trees   Got a mate in tow as his flight was cancelled yesterday and he ha

Tomamu has been tapering off it's season. They wind down quite early.

I would suggest you go to Niseko where you will find:

1) Season still in full swing

2) A wide choice of accommodation (eg. as of right now there is still a quad room in the Alpen for your dates)

3) A fountain of English speaking ski instructors very eager for your money

4) Many, many dining choices

5) etc.

I am properly loving the forecast for this weekend.

I may even buy it dinner.

15.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I might just have to do some front flips through the powder this weekend in honor of my new favorite fox.

Hasn't stopped snowing in the mountains all day! and it's the good stuff me thinks. Still going to Kawaba on Sunday?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I might just have to do some front flips through the powder this weekend in honor of my new favorite fox.

Hasn't stopped snowing in the mountains all day! and it's the good stuff me thinks. Still going to Kawaba on Sunday?

Yes! got the booking completed last night, so it's all arranged. I'm coming up with the Lady Peetan so I'll be with her most of the morning, after that/lunch I'll make sure I'm free to go on a run or few if you're up for it?

I've been watching the weather reports of the snow! Getting excited for this weekend! How do you guys get the time to just leave for the mountains on a whim like that? Geez, I wish I had that lenient of a job. Har har.

It went down to -25.3oC in Nobeyama last night that is just across the border from Yamanashi just in Nagano.

What month are we in I thought we are in March not January.

Was very cold here too although nothing compared to there just -14oC.

I really want to go today too and I work for myself so should be able to just take off but got a job that needs finishing today so I got to try not to think about skiing.

In Tokyo it's SUNNY!! ..And? COOOOLLLD!! And what day is it? FRIIDAYYYY!!

...sorry, got my kindergarten hat on today.

I really wish I didn't have to work tomorrow. Ah well.

If this snow stays around until, ohhh let's say March 30, I will be very very happy. And poor.

Not BC but off piste......being on my own today and the amount of wind yesterday, I'm just thinking about the bowls at Teine.....They are short but quite steep and I've seen debris sitting in the bottom of them before.....I

Not BC but off piste......being on my own today and the amount of wind yesterday, I'm just thinking about the bowls at Teine.....They are short but quite steep and I've seen debris sitting in the bottom of them before.....I

I'm going to put on my parent cap for a second. If the av risk might be high why risk it? Doing tricks and wall riding is definitely not as fun for me as riding powder but I have been learning for days when venturing off piste might be more dangerous than usual. Hit some side trail stuff and find some fun jumps to hit if the risk is too high especially if you are alone. Also maybe ask someone at the resort?

Thanks Dad ;) I did exactly that, asked a few people spoke to patrol.....all ok. It's great conditions today, not quite as light as I've had due to the wind yesterday but oodles and oodles of fresh powder around :)

I am properly loving the forecast for this weekend.

I may even buy it dinner.

15.gif

:lol: That's gold. I've done similar myself a few times (too heavy on the front foot).

Enjoy the fresh snow. Very jealous.

There will be snow of course, but whether there is any fresh snowfall is in the hands of the gods.......that goes for everywhere

Lawrence, best to start a new thread, your post will get lost in this stormy thread.

Tomamu has been tapering off it's season. They wind down quite early.

I would suggest you go to Niseko where you will find:

1) Season still in full swing

2) A wide choice of accommodation (eg. as of right now there is still a quad room in the Alpen for your dates)

3) A fountain of English speaking ski instructors very eager for your money

4) Many, many dining choices

5) etc.

Thanks for your replies :)