I don't have much confidence in the short range forecast these days. On Saturday I was at Wakabuna ski-jyo up in Sekikawa-mura. The forecast just before I left my house was for cloudy and calm. There was pretty heavy snow on and off and really strong winds all day. I was thankful for the snow but the wind was so strong it was stopping me in the flat parts.

I am hoping they are wrong about the warm spell this week.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them you've registered rainjapan.com and are moving the site over. Your logo can be a telephone box in the middle of a huge puddle.

Deeeeep day at Sapporo Kokosai. Easily mid thigh in places. Deepest day of the trip for sure.

Heading back up the hill today......beautiful bluebird today, no new snow but there'll be plenty left from yesterday in the trees   Got a mate in tow as his flight was cancelled yesterday and he ha

Kagura was surprisingly good today - knee deep powder in plenty of places but a bit tracked out by the time we got there after the usual Kan-etsu ordeal. Has anybody ever had a clear run down that expressway on a winter weekend? I know I haven't.

JMA are calling for a cold March, but their long range also called for cold December, January and February and we got none of those so I won't hold my breath. Their long range forecasts seem to be wrong more than they are right! I think they UK Met office stopped issuing long range forecasts a couple of years back because they realised that the science simply isn't accurate enough.

I'm looking forward to the brilliantly funny UK weather jokes! Let me check my sides are sewn up good and strong, don't want them splitting!

But yes, you'd wonder why they bother.

There were a few spots of rain here yesterday early afternoon.

Must say that even after the snow of last week, there's an 'early spring' feel somehow.

Having said that, I'm off skiing somewhere today getting back in the saddle!

It has been quite cold here every day around -10oC at night and between -2 to 2 during the day with just the odd flurries/dustings of snow.

Looks like it may go above 5oC from Wednesday through Friday here though so that will put a real dent in our snow. Having said that e still got tons of snow left.

Around 1.5 metres deep still in the shade if not a bit more and about 80-100cm where the sun has got to it. Less in some spots.

Hopefully sat into sun we can get a new top up maybe.

Just come back from nearly 4 hours at Ishiuchi Maruyama.

First proper ski for over 3 weeks and I feel back in the groove now and really enjoyed it.

Considering the snow we have had since last weekend, I was expecting better conditions. Decidedly heavy and start-stoppy on the lower half of the hill. Felt like a day of spring skiing.

Hey all - Just spent the day near Asahikawa at Kumui Ski Links. Had a nice sunny day - the groomed runs were nearly perfect corduroy. Looking at the forecast, this area isn't supposed to get snow for the rest of the week, which is unfortunate given we were hoping to get some powder.

Anybody in Niseko now? I know Sapporo got some snow a couple days ago - but looking at the schedule, doesn't look like Niseko is supposed to get any snow until Friday. Are runs still powdery at Niseko even though it hasn't snowed for a couple days?

Interesting weather here now. Forecast was for clear blue sky and sunny well we have a thick cloudy sky and it is snowing around the higher mountains and looks like it could start down here as well.

Interesting weather here now. Forecast was for clear blue sky and sunny well we have a thick cloudy sky and it is snowing around the higher mountains and looks like it could start down here as well.

Where are you snowdude?

Just got back from a good morning at White World Oze Iwakura.

Lovely clear skies over there.

Come back to Minamiuonuma and there's this weird hazy thing going on.

Almost like thick fog, but obviously not. Because it's very warm. :doh:

:confused:

:(

PM2.5?

大気汚染の原因になり、呼吸器系疾患を引き起こすとされる微小粒子状物質(PM2・5*)の濃度が26日午前、東北や北陸、関西などで上昇した。

環境省によると、福島県と新潟県では、PM2・5の1日の平均濃度が国の暫定指針である1立方メートル当たり70マイクロ・グラムを超える可能性があるとして、住民に外出自粛や激しい運動などを控えるよう呼び掛ける注意喚起を出した。暫定指針の運用を始めた昨年3月以降、両県で注意喚起が出たのは初めてという。

自治体が設置する測定局の観測結果を集約する同省の「大気汚染物質広域監視システム」によると、26日午前10時現在、福島県会津若松市で1時間当たりの平均値が同81マイクロ・グラム、新潟市江南区で同108マイクロ・グラムを観測した。

香川県でも外出や屋外での激しい運動を控えるよう、注意喚起を出した。各地で街中にもやがかかったような状態になり、市民生活にも影響が出ている。

大阪府内でも25日昼から各地で濃度が上昇。26日午前9時には大阪市住之江区で1時間当たりの平均値が同104マイクロ・グラムを記録した。

深刻な大気汚染が続く中国・北京では25日、中国の環境基準の5倍以上となる400マイクロ・グラムを超えており、環境省は、こうした汚染物質が海を越えて日本に飛来している可能性もあるとみて、警戒を呼び掛けている。