Hey Matic

Not sure what forecast you are watching but if you check out

http://www.snowjapan...weather-reports

it did what it was supposed too

i've been checking the updates obsessively. it definitely snowed more yesterday and today vs the forecast on snowjapan.

Yeah sorry mate it does that I was watching the wind not the depth never seen that one right ever

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them you've registered rainjapan.com and are moving the site over. Your logo can be a telephone box in the middle of a huge puddle.

Deeeeep day at Sapporo Kokosai. Easily mid thigh in places. Deepest day of the trip for sure.

Heading back up the hill today......beautiful bluebird today, no new snow but there'll be plenty left from yesterday in the trees   Got a mate in tow as his flight was cancelled yesterday and he ha

Not bad today all the lifts were open a bit windy up the top and came in at 2:30 as it was blowing a bit and snowing

It has affected the snow though some great drifts but then you hit the rough stuff not good when you cant see

Hey Matic

i've been checking the updates obsessively. it definitely snowed more yesterday and today vs the forecast on snowjapan.

The forecasts come from snow-forecast.com

For some reason (maybe because its not Japan-based?), they pretty much always forecast much lower accumulations than we actually get here. For example - they might call for 'heavy snow' 14 cm. They get the 'heavy snow' right but 14 cm is not a heavy snowfall in Japan - you can usually multiply that number by 5. Apart from the predicted accumulations, the forecasts themselves are usually fairly good - if they are predicting heavy snow or moderate snow for a resort, its probably gonna be a decent powder day.

Hey Matic

The forecasts come from snow-forecast.com

For some reason (maybe because its not Japan-based?), they pretty much always forecast much lower accumulations than we actually get here. For example - they might call for 'heavy snow' 14 cm. They get the 'heavy snow' right but 14 cm is not a heavy snowfall in Japan - you can usually multiply that number by 5. Apart from the predicted accumulations, the forecasts themselves are usually fairly good - if they are predicting heavy snow or moderate snow for a resort, its probably gonna be a decent powder day.

...but the highways will probably be closed. :doh:

Speaking of highways, news tonight was that in response to the rampant abandoning of cars in the last snowstorm, the highways will be looking to close down even earlier in the future, to make sure that doesn't happen again. So look for less chain kisei and more outright closings in the future.

Fortunately, highway tolls will be going up soon to pay for this increased service.

I wonder why they don't just have a few snowploughs/gritters driving up and down the expressways when it snows? I've yet to see such a thing in the Kanto region.

The amount of cash they lose through closing the expressways for several days at at time every time a bit of snow falls would surely pay for dozens of the things plus the drivers.

Well we had more than a bit of snow here a lot more.

So keeping up with that amount of snow would be difficult unless they have enough machinary which obviously they dont.

I guess if this area regular each year gets really heavy snow tjen maybe they will buy more bulldozers and plows and what not.

It is a pain in the arse though when you think areas like Niigata Aomori etc that get really heavy snow normally can keep at least some of the motorway open.

Having said that two metres of snow fall in 24 hours was beyond heavy for even the snowy areas.

Will be interesting to see what happens if we get another big storm like that this year.

Thats right it is well excessive amount of snow.Certainly rare to get so much in one go.

They should be able to cope with less snow so lets see what happens if we get a more normal amount for here like 30-50cm.

To add to that, I've just spent a long time consulting lots of charts and jellyfish, and also messed about with some algorithms and stuff.

I can confidently say that it will be 最高のコンディション right through into May in some places.

:thumbsup:

I really wanted to ski today but got too much work to do today so will be tomorrow. Should be sunny light winds and with plenty of snow will be good.

I just hate it when the weather is so good like today nice blue sky today and a nice warm 2oC and I cant get out there.

At this stage JMA are predicting it to warm up over the next week but still looking at it getting colder than normal in March. I wouldn't say winter is over just yet.

Let's hope so. I certainly am not ready for spring.

At this stage JMA are predicting it to warm up over the next week but still looking at it getting colder than normal in March. I wouldn't say winter is over just yet.

Let's hope so. I certainly am not ready for spring.

Following further discussion with the Jellyfish I have been advised that the weather forecast is good for 7 days .They advise me not to have much confidence in long range forecasts.