This storm was definitely too much. I was planning on going snowboarding not shoveling snow all day. That said I met some neighbors I have never really talked too and had an interesting day. A friend and I helped some people in a stuck car and I even walked to the beer and chip star vending machines semi close to my house to get supplies ;) I also saw a tractor throwing snow off a bridge into the Katashina river a definite first. All and all an interesting day. If I can't get anywhere tomorrow I might build a jump on the hill behind my friends place and pretend I'm an Olympic freestyle snowboard champion :sjcool:

• Like 1
  • Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them you've registered rainjapan.com and are moving the site over. Your logo can be a telephone box in the middle of a huge puddle.

Deeeeep day at Sapporo Kokosai. Easily mid thigh in places. Deepest day of the trip for sure.

Heading back up the hill today......beautiful bluebird today, no new snow but there'll be plenty left from yesterday in the trees   Got a mate in tow as his flight was cancelled yesterday and he ha

Yes I am in saitama now and fly out monday night. Im glad I made the call to come back early, I was aware of this storm and the powder hound in me was telling me to stay. If I had of stayed we may have been stuck though and missed the flight.

Nagano in short.

It was a bad season no doubt. Even still I had some fantastic days but only 3 or 4 that compare to last season, out of 5 weeks thats pretty poor IMO but if you rely on the weather you may just get let down. Thats a fact of life.

There are lots of resorts which is great. A few have decent pitch which really makes it fun on a powder day.

The temps never really got cold always hovering around freezing only a few hundred meters below resort level. It was very marginal.

It just didnt seem to snow. Some nights I would think it was on and wake up to a few cm.

So the terrain is better than hokkaido but the snow is worse. I think if you lived in nagano you would get some absolutely epic days but for someone with time constraints hokkaido is a much safer bet.

It has been an unusually poor season though - this has been one of the worst in the 10 years I've been here (although we're not done just yet....!). Last season was also fairly short - spring arrived end of February but there were still some great powder days the likes of which I haven't seen this season.

Hokkaido is probably the safer bet for most though - that's to be expected - it is a lot further north and is substantially colder than the central parts of honshu.

So Aomori prefecture just got hit hard. We have over 2 feet of snow since this morning with more coming. We left to light snow, but there were already disabled vehicles on the way.

med_gallery_13070_385_347403.jpg

med_gallery_13070_385_2700.jpg

I went to Aomori City, stayed until 10pm. Had to clean all this off once we got back to the car.

med_gallery_13070_385_1078146.jpg

And once I got back into Mutsu I couldnt even make it back home. got the car stuck and had to walk. Plows have been busy all night and will be busy into morning for sure. Great powdery snow, perfect conditions as soon as the weather clears up, I'm heading out to the mountain.

Some cars were almost completely buried in snow drifts.

med_gallery_13070_385_366824.jpg

On the road to my apartment it was up to my knees.

med_gallery_13070_385_2108146.jpg

So... Game on!

Ski resorts all closed in this area because too much snow.

The digger with a snow plow is now plowing its way down our road do hopefully can get out and see what state the rest of Kobuchisawa is in.

Instead of skiing will do snow shoeing again today.

Eastern Nagano has had it pretty bad with around a metre in Karuizawa. The expressways are all blocked and hundreds of cars are still parked there with no way out. Here's hoping they've been given blankets at least.

It's pretty heavy snow at Teine and the wind is crazy.....they've closed the summit express so there is no uplift....took the offer of a lift home and called it a day. Some awesome runs tho, was shown a particularly good pillow/powder run.....run out over a river (which scared the bejesus out of me) and then a wee hike to the road and get the cat track back to Olympia for the gondola back to highland. But the snow in there was super light and deep. :)

Was contemplating a hike up Moiwa (Sapporo one, not Nisekko) but then saw the snow, clouds and wind (and dog sleeping on my legs!!) and decided against it! Sounds like a good decision!!!

Also sounds like I should be visiting Teine sometime this season!!

Went once last season.....top lift not running and VERY icy!! Kind of put me off going again!!

Also, not knowing my way round and trying to scope the place vs. going to a resort I know and instantly finding the goods....so far the latter has always won!

Well the roads have finally been cleared to one car width so can get out and in fact did go out but driving is a bit of a trick with snow covered frozen snow and deep ruts makes driving interesting to say the least.

The major roads and most of the smaller roads are just about drivable now.

Went and stocked up on food etc as a lot of stuff was totally sold out. So we are good for several days now.

The railway line is still totally buried so no trains are going to be running anytime soon.

Motorway is also out of action.

I doubt the ski jos around here will be open tomorrow but if it is then will certainly be going for a slide in all that new very deep pow.

A freind of mine went on a skiing trip to Nagano on Friday by bus. 40 foreigners - they got stuck in the middle of Yamanashi. Spent the night on the bus and then found their ways to a fire station where they spent Saturday night. They are not allowed to go anywhere - they have no showers and the conbini has now sold out of food and booze and it looks like they have to spend another night there tonight!

I can believe it, No large vehicles are going to get through the roads yet here. I went to the 7/11 today to get some money out and the shelves were bare, I mean absolutely nothing!

Talking to some of the neighbours here the bulldozer and digger drivers have been working pretty much around the clock to clear the snow. The dude that cleared our road started at first light this morning after finishing around 1am last night because the digger had run out of diesel, and he was still at it this evening around 5:30 pm when I took my dogs out.