• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many are Mt Granview sending?

The ladies board slopestyle ladies all seemed quite pretty.

But... but... but surely, she only had the accident because she was wearing a helmet!!     Moguls are mad. People who do them must be too. Or have special knees. Possibly both!

I'm assuming there must be some kind of guideline as to how long and how steep an official downhill course is. There are some very steep courses in Hokkaido (ok, ok, not many!), and some very long ones, but I don't think I know many that are both. Maybe Furano might have something?

Its really interesting to see the photos of the old downhill course on Eniwadake. And to look at the mountain now, you really wouldn't notice it at all.

As to why they didn't leave it as a ski-jo? That area doesn't get a ton of snow, so it would probably be quite icy. Steep and icy, perfect for a downhill race, but maybe not so appealing to the average skier. No idea if that's that real reason, just what I've always thought.

Was it not a skijo before the Olympics or did they actually go to the massive cost of creating the slopes/lifts/facilities, and then putting nature back in afterwards? The mind boggles at the cost of doing that, is it worth that?!

I suppose the early 70's was the start of boom time in Japan maybe they didn't care about the costs.....imagine if they had it early 80's?! Each bobsleigh would probably have it's own chandelier ;)

If they refilled it in with nature, I would guess there's environmental issues/promises in there too.

It's not as if Japanese avoid letting things rot away on full view! ;)

Hey Tubby... You could get an albaito by donning the kilt and bagpipes leading the procession of curlers into the venue before each match....... :wave:

My cousin is a piper.....he brought his pipes over for our wedding and piped my wife to be down the aisle then piped the happy couple out again. We also had a good skirl with a mini ceilidh.....Scottish dancing all round. He even played the Stone Roses on his bagpipes!! :lol:

Regarding Eniwadake, I found this:

このコース造成に際しては、オリンピック史 上初めて環境問題を考慮して、山の斜面の樹木伐採後、植林を行う条件が付 されました。

.....to which google says:

During this course construction, in consideration of environmental issues for the first time on Olympic history, felling trees after the slope of the mountain, conditions for carrying out afforestation has been attached.

you might have missed this Tubby as we posted at the same time.

Half crushed building - where's that? At Eniwadake?

Ah sorry yeah I did.

No it's between Olympia and Highland at Teine

Think they used Kokusai for something too?

Guessing Teine too??

There's Okurayama ski jump (built and used last Olympics here).

No way they'd use nisekko....it's 2 and a half hours away from Sapporo!!

They used Makomanai stadium for the Olympic torch site and some other events....could use Sapporo Dome now? The skating arena from the 70's is being torn down in the next year or two....easy to rebuild though!!

Eniwayama is also quite far from anything (except Shikotsuko) so not a great resort / skijo location maybe? Hence the closing.

Well no we seem to have established that the Eniwa Olympic downhill runs and the ropeway/lift servicing them were made specifically for the Olympics with the agreement that the mountain was to be restored to nature and take it all down once the Olympics were over.

So looks like we have had a tie for gold in the women's downhill, and a tie for bronze in the men's Super-G.

Due to times being the same within 1/100th of a second.

Is this common?

Will there be a call to measure times to the 1/1000th of a second in the future?

I could watch those downhill replays all day. So thrilling, I feel 10 years old again just watching.

Some day, when I grow up, those are the events I want to compete in.

Other impressions:

Ski slopestyle looks...too easy... (Not that I could do it!) Snowboard slopestyle looks more exciting.

Snowboard cross is good, comparable to ski downhill events. Have a feeling ski cross will not be as good -- but looking forward to nonetheless.

Cross-country: yawn. And I used to do cross-country skiing....

Curling: more interesting than expected. But invariably discover that while I was hooked on watching the curling event, I was missing some downhill event.