This past weekend I was over at Happo on Saturday. I don't usually like going to busy places but we were in Hakuba and needed to get up high because of the rising temps.

Anyway, on two separate occassions that day I almost got hit by a wayward ski and snowboard. With the ski, we were half way up the hill waiting in line when it went bombing past and came to a stop not far away. It looked like the bottom of someone's boot had broken off and was still stuck in the binding which didn't allow the breaks to pop open. It happened so fast that we didn't really have time to get scared.

The second incident with the snowboard was totally ****ed up. We were actually at the bottom of the hill having pizza on the patio outside when out of the corner of my eye I noticed something coming towards us. I was able to jump up and warn the guy sitting next to me and it narrowly missed his head. My friend who I was having lunch with literally had to jump out of the way to avoid serious injury. The board sailed past and clattered into our boards that were in the ski rack. It ended up taking a knick out of my old bindings but didn't cause serious damage. As we were picking everything up the dude who let the board go came walking up as if nothing happened, didn't even apologise and then start making excuses as to what happened. The guy I was with, who isn't a hothead at all, almost ended up fighting him because he was so mad.

So how often does stuff like this happen? I don't spend much time at busy resorts and think it's the first time for something like this to happen to me.

I also avoid busy as much as possible, quite successfully.

Today I was at Muikamachi Ski Resort.

It was shockingly busy, but 99% (probably not an exaggeration) was the local schools. Not fun at all. Anyway I had a near miss as well.

A day I won't be remembering and I won't be going there again.

Let's Weekdays!!

Pretty often from what i can work out daughter was over in Oz this year and some girl got taken out badly by a runaway snowboard I would be so apologetic if that happened and I was responsible

Last time I was at Niseko I was coming down the upper part of the mountain and as I was around half way below the top lifts I saw a snowboard absolutely tearing down sans rider -- this thing had some serious steam and was bouncing over the chopped pow gaining speed as it went.

Passed by about 15m in front of me and kept on going until it reached the flattish spot with trees just below Niseko Village gondola - it had travelled about 3/4 of the run of the top lift all by itself.

My wife was higher up than I was and said she saw it cut loose when its owner took it off to help his girlfriend out of a difficult spot on the cat track, and didn't make sure it was securely stashed.

Scared the shit out of me, and would've done some serious damage if it had connected with anyone on its voyage down the hill ......... not cool at all.

This past weekend I was over at Happo on Saturday. I don't usually like going to busy places but we were in Hakuba and needed to get up high because of the rising temps.

Anyway, on two separate occassions that day I almost got hit by a wayward ski and snowboard. With the ski, we were half way up the hill waiting in line when it went bombing past and came to a stop not far away. It looked like the bottom of someone's boot had broken off and was still stuck in the binding which didn't allow the breaks to pop open. It happened so fast that we didn't really have time to get scared.

The second incident with the snowboard was totally ****ed up. We were actually at the bottom of the hill having pizza on the patio outside when out of the corner of my eye I noticed something coming towards us. I was able to jump up and warn the guy sitting next to me and it narrowly missed his head. My friend who I was having lunch with literally had to jump out of the way to avoid serious injury. The board sailed past and clattered into our boards that were in the ski rack. It ended up taking a knick out of my old bindings but didn't cause serious damage. As we were picking everything up the dude who let the board go came walking up as if nothing happened, didn't even apologise and then start making excuses as to what happened. The guy I was with, who isn't a hothead at all, almost ended up fighting him because he was so mad.

So how often does stuff like this happen? I don't spend much time at busy resorts and think it's the first time for something like this to happen to me.

Gaij or native?

Cant say that had hsppened to me but then I avoid busy resorts or slopes I dont like busy.

A few weeks back though we had a stray skier go down the beginner slope taking out one of the kids in my daughters ski class.

This young lady complete beginner just went straight and plowed into him like a heat seaking missle.

Bad bruising and was off from skiing for ten days.

And the slope was empty.

Need to watch out for stray boards skis and beginners.

I've seen a board go skiting down a slope before........zipping past peoples heads who were sitting on the ground, could easily have taken someones head off.

Seemore.....its ok, as long as you aren't a dogmatic racist then everything is happy clappy in the world

I was at Happo a few years ago with a guy who was a telemarker...but using some really ancient gear. Well, he crashed and his dry rotted tether broke and his ski proceeded at missile speed down the slope. It was on that last steep section of the women's downhill just before the flat section down to the scoreboard. That ski was going so fast that when it hit the bottom it shattered into about 4 pieces. I skied down to the bottom and people were pretty upset and started questioning me....haha.......like it was my ski....haha. The guy was still up at the top so out of sight which was just as well. Someone definitely could have been seriously hurt.

Haven't seen any for a while...

But I have seen both skis and boards over the years.

Last one was a projectile ski with boot still in it.

When people say they loosen their boots off for the lifts....they don't mean THAT MUCH :lol:

Thankfully the 2 boards I have seen take off have both been into the tree's.

Funnily enough, only at hakuba. Happened twice (second day was hella windy though, so i put it down to that). Its nice though, all you hear is a constant chorus down the hill of ABUNAII!!! All very peaceful and good. Its usually followed by a red faced out of breath japanese kid looking mortified trying forlornly to catch it. :)

I had it happen to my sister when I was teaching her. The check strap was old/rotted and snapped, sending her board careening down Ichinose Family. Fortunately didn't hit anyone, but she was so embarassed, she just walked down the slope back to the hotel.. sending me to retrieve the board...

I've never seen this at any resort I've been to, Japan or otherwise, but have been the missle myself once. I didn't loose my gear. I was a beginner boarder (read first time) and went down the slope straight. Didn't veer off, didn't fall. Just bombed the run as a 7 year old going 45mph down a blue run. Almost took out like 3 people and had to eat it at the bottom to keep from running into the outdoor patio section fence. Later on an anouncement went of about it, I recall. About not doing what I just did haha. I remember it hurt a lot.

I keep from "hanging out" in the heavy traffic areas like others do sitting at the top of the lift exit and having conversations. Last thing I need is someone or their gear to smack into me. I just strap in and go for the above mentioned reasons!