Tanigawadake Tenjindaira (Minakami, Gunma) - 24th January 2014

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had my eye on today since earlier this week as it was always looking like it would clear up and be fab weather. The question was.... where to go. I found myself on the Kanetsu this morning g

Avalanche! Will make a different thread on that...                  

onehunga   As you can tell, some of the things about it really are irritating. I don't do the hiking thing so for me the only reason to go here is the location and scenery, as it's just a really

Thank you.

You should have come toka ;)

mina2, that one was taken in the Gondola on the way back down. Lots of zoom. I was surprised to see that image myself actually, but it sure looks nice.

Is the nighta at Okutone any good, Gunma Boarder?

love the pictures as ever, but thoroughly enjoyed the rant! As a brit, i do love a good moan. Its a genuine art form and the basis of all good humour if you ask me! More rants please :)

Thank you.

You should have come toka ;)

mina2, that one was taken in the Gondola on the way back down. Lots of zoom. I was surprised to see that image myself actually, but it sure looks nice.

Is the nighta at Okutone any good, Gunma Boarder?

It's as good as I've ever seen. The whole resort is pretty much still ridable but some runs aren't lit so it presents a unique challenge. Not the best angle for the sunset but the view of Tanigawa with the last rays of light as well as Shibutsu in Oze is pretty nice.

Brilliant, muika.

Just proved how amazing the views are from up there.

Pity it's pretty much a rubbish skijo!

I think the problem is people think of Tenjindaira as a "skijo". Just think of it as a slow gondola leading to a couple of short lifts that accesses some amazing slack country, off-piste and winter mountain climbing opportunities that has the added benefit of having some amazing view. I should also mention the slack country and off-piste is all depended on whether the descending course is open. If not the AV danger is too high and they would probably not appreciate you trying it.

I have had some amazing runs in my life but I would say dropping in to one of the chutes leading away from the "skijo" up the mountain was the best. bottomless fresh powder steep terrain and beautiful views. That said I will never go back there unless it is with a tour or with a group of highly skilled fully equipped BC riders. I was neither of these things and after finishing the run I just keep smiling thinking to myself don't go up there and do it again, but it was soooo good, no no no staying alive is better, I don't know it was pretty good........ Common sense prevailed and for the rest of the day I stayed with the far less dangerous off-piste that is accessible from the lower of the two lifts. That area is still really good.

But.... Tanigawadake Tenjindaira is a "skijo". And the lift ticket is for the skijo.

Yes, I know there's all these wonderful opportunities for backcountry people. But I'm not one of them. And neither are I would guess most people. So for most people, it's a rubbish skijo.

;)

I think your AV pics are a good enough reminder to stay away when the bottom run is closed. I have never seen an avalanche happening at Tenjin but I did see one after it finished the first time I ever went (also first experience at a skijo in Japan). I had been riding the bottom course all day and one time when coming up the gondola the course was wiped out. I probably should just go to Tenjin for the views.........

I'm so bad with course names. Does Tenjin have an English map? I can read "ta" "something I can't read" "sawa" (or zawa) course. The one that goes off from the top of the number two lift. It also says expert course. On the far left of the course map on their website.

Correct, some of them were.

But it actually might have been quicker to hike up to that point and take the photos than use the gondola. ;)

If you miss one of the gondolas, you're done for an hour until the next one turns up.

They should announce it, 'next gondola car coming into station in about 10 minutes'.

Be there or take an onsen and have some lunch in the time it takes for the next one to arrive!

Here's a video I took of one of the gondolas on it's way out of the station

img711_file.jpg

Blimey that is slow. I've been sat here watching that since 10pm last night and it still hasn't left the station!

:veryshocked: