Just passing on a friendly reminder that stuff catches on fire really easily this time of year. A good friend of ours (here in Ito) house just burnt to the ground about an hour ago. :shifty:

Yes..everyone is OK. The wife was taken to hospital for minor smoke inhalation but she's fine. They are just in shock as to how fast the place went up and thankful it wasn't while they were sleeping.

thats the danger with these paper/wooden houses over here......TBF even brick n mortar houses back home go up quick, but I imagine the flimsy, flammable material they use here would make it even more of a hazard. Glad everyone is out safe n sound

Yes...and their house was especially flimsy, wooden and old. Honestly, it should have been torn down and rebuilt many years ago but like most houses around here....they are handed down from generation to generation so it's hard to just tear it all down.

Wow. That sucks. I guess they must have lost everything inside.

Ya...all that was left was some of the frame and the foundation. It was weird....It was an all alarm fire which means all the local stations are called as well as the reserve trucks. There is a station right in front of our house so the alarms and sirens were wailing and you could hear all the other stations sirens going off.... I thought, whoa....That's gotta be a big fire....I hope it's no one we know. Ironically, the owner of the house is a reserve firefighter.....

I don't know any of the details and my wife wasn't about to go asking last night while the place was still smoldering...... I'm sure she will hear something today.

I was busy last night changing all the batteries in our smoke detectors.... :shifty:

Not at all pleasant, to have a fire in the oil! :omg:

Lucky (or at least happy!) that both are well. Needing some insurance to rebuild!

I know it is easier said than done, but if you get an oil fire while cooking try not to panic SWITCH OFF the gas or electric cooker instantly (many people panic forget to switch of the cooker providing more fuel for the fire) and get a large bath towel, soak it so its dripping wet and place over the fire before it gets out of hand, that will put it out instantly as long as it is not big and taking hold of the house.

It happened to me some years ago, the pan caught on fire, I just got a large towel soaked it put it over the pan and that was the end of the fire.

Further details..... apparently, the wife was distracted and left the kitchen with the burner still on. The fire started and by the time she got back it had spread and was out of her control.

Bumping this one...

Waxed a friends pair of skis and my snowboard last night before going to snowboard today. For some unknown reason.. I put my plastic scraper on the top grill of my kitchen space heater. This morning, the wife turned it on and didn't see the scraper there. 10 minutes later, I'm drowsily waking up and she slides the door to a roaring fire and kitchen full of smoke.

Talk about a wake up call.

I jumped up and pushed her out of the way because she was fanning the flames with her hand... They were a good foot and a half high. I turned off the heater itself then filled up the frying pan ( clean, no oil on it) with water from the faucet and put it out.

Didn't burn long enough to do damage to anything. Just melted the plastic all over the heater so I need to scrape it off (ironic. Scraping the scraper off) before we can use it again. I breathed in a lot of smoke before I opened the door and got most of the smoke out.

Could have been a lot worse. We're both going to have to pay more attention to the area around the heater.

med_gallery_13070_332_2161859.jpg

med_gallery_13070_332_6997198.jpg

med_gallery_13070_332_6655698.jpg

med_gallery_13070_332_5159335.jpg

気をつけてください!

I went to a mountain 2 hours away and was digging out soot boogers the whole way. Felt like a coal miner.

The tarp. It was the damned tarp I use to collect the wax. I found the scraper and all my other gear in the tacklebox already. I don't know how she missed a huge tarp on the heater. You have to reach down and put it at eye level to even turn it on. But I still don't know why I laid it there. UGH.

The tarp. It was the damned tarp I use to collect the wax. I found the scraper and all my other gear in the tacklebox already. I don't know how she missed a huge tarp on the heater. You have to reach down and put it at eye level to even turn it on. But I still don't know why I laid it there. UGH.

Lucky. I'm always worried about the winter months down in my work shop with lots of saw dust, electrical sockets and volatile finishes. I also have to be very careful with some of my pen making materials...like celluloid which is highly flammable..