They kill dolphins like they kill fish it would seem.

I haven't seen much more biased writing about the "killing" and "massacre" and "brutality" than I have surrounding this story. It really paints it in a pale light.

I've seen simillar when talking about wars around the world. Its easy to abhor, but there are different perspectives to it. Someones rebellion is another's revolution.

Been to a bunch of dolphin rescues in Florida and a lot are born in captivity. I suppose the one's they sell are to zoos and such around the world.

I understand it's traditional but you could say the same about other things. Japanese are big into tradition I've found.

Why is it that we only make a big deal out of animals with high intelligence? Killing is killing. At least they're using them for meat.

Might hate me for it but I'd like to try dolphin once.

I haven't seen much more biased writing about the "killing" and "massacre" and "brutality" than I have surrounding this story.

Ever though that there might be something to the story?

If you saw The Cove, you would know that dolphins get totally stressed out in captivity.

They do a cull down here in Izu as well....or at least they did until very recently. It is very hush hush though and there are no signs of it.. other than being able to buy iruka labeled meat in the some of the grocery stores.

I don't know exactly why but killing dolphins and whales just kind of sets something off in my soul as being "wrong" but I have absolutely no reservations about killing deer, moose, elk, rabbit or any other game....

I don't really have any problems with Taiji Cove. Dolphins aren't exactly endangered and it's done within Japan's own waters. It's an issue for the Japanese, not the rest of the world. It's when the Japanese sail all the way down to Antarctica to kill whales that I get a bit upset. Especially in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. If they want to kill whales do so in their own hemisphere at the very least!!

Can someone explain to me why this dolphin things needs to be so brutal, like charlotte asked?

Can't they just kill them with a stungun rather than put them through torture?

What is the explanation for that?

I don't see the problem.....they aren't on the endangered list, Japan isn't breaking any international law, seems all they are doing is going against some middle class western sensibilities. Sure it's not nice viewing, pretty barbaric but you go to a slaughterhouse and you could say the exact same....stunned but not yet dead pigs hung by their feet having their bellies cut open and insides cut out....but there is no western outrage at that. Because dolphins are perceived to be of a high intelligence (pigs are also....thought to be along the same mental faculties as a 3yr old human) and we seem to empathise with them more, we treat them different from other animals....even chimps, our closest genetic cousin of the animal world. People are protesting about the wrong thing, they should be stopping the cull to stop feeding highly toxic dolphin meat to children

I watch the news for a few hours most mornings

Why do you do that?!

I wake up early and just leave the tv on... I don't pay attention to it the whole time. Just have it in the background while I get the futon put up and get breakfast going etc, leave it on while I sit down and surf the web.

And as for what TB says, I've seen much worse in slaughterhouses for sure. This is just something people can walk up to and record so it gets big news. Not saying it is right or wrong, just easily broadcast to the world. Only recordings you can get in slaughterhouses (which again, are way worse in a way) are those who sneak cameras in.

Killing and cleaning and eating something you kill yourself really helps brings things in perspective.

I don't see the problem.....they aren't on the endangered list, Japan isn't breaking any international law, seems all they are doing is going against some middle class western sensibilities. Sure it's not nice viewing, pretty barbaric but you go to a slaughterhouse and you could say the exact same....stunned but not yet dead pigs hung by their feet having their bellies cut open and insides cut out....but there is no western outrage at that. Because dolphins are perceived to be of a high intelligence (pigs are also....thought to be along the same mental faculties as a 3yr old human) and we seem to empathise with them more, we treat them different from other animals....even chimps, our closest genetic cousin of the animal world. People are protesting about the wrong thing, they should be stopping the cull to stop feeding highly toxic dolphin meat to children

I'm with ya Tubby. The toxicity of the meat ALONE should be enough to let this tradition die out. It's perplexing to me in how hard they are trying to keep this and the whale hunt going. Nobody really wants it when you consider the alternatives. Oh gee....I think I'll take a break from the Angus top sirloin or wagu beef today...... for an nice cut of toxic cetacean nondescript chuck steak..... Don't think so..

I'm with ya Tubby. The toxicity of the meat ALONE should be enough to let this tradition die out. It's perplexing to me in how hard they are trying to keep this and the whale hunt going. Nobody really wants it when you consider the alternatives. Oh gee....I think I'll take a break from the Angus top sirloin or wagu beef today...... for an nice cut of toxic cetacean nondescript chuck steak..... Don't think so..

Perks of being an apex predator!

Imagine if someone ate the meat of a middle aged human from a first world country.

Its quite typical Japan tho Chris, the fact that Western people/nations are on their moral high horse means that the Japanese involved will simply dig their heels in further......if change is what is really wanted then for Japan, it has to come from within.