which climate produces the "best"* powder, the Alps, the Rockies, the Japan Alps or the Southern Alps (NZ)

*best-generally considered the dry fluffy stuff, stays dry and fresh for days

I had to re-read that - you want to talk about best climate - and then give examples? Your attributes included only dry and fluffy.

gonna have to be No Alaska and WAY No Japan (summer).

The alps would be next, the front range of the rockies (so Utah) interior Canada, Patagonia, Middle Russia, and then maybe Lake Tahoe during the spring. No. Oregon and Wa also rank up there - they get over 700" a year. Check Mt Hood out too. Not as much snow, but a shitty snowfield with salt on it that will kill your metal edges.

Hawaii rocks too! Mauna Loa! Try it!

who cares???? I do, I am curious because we have a diverse group of people from over the world and each has an opinion and it interesting to hear what others think.

yes I have been to all of the places, not be cause I am rich, oh contrare, but because I love snow sports and I have been lucky enough to go and saved hard to do so. Being from NZ I have obviously been there and living in Japan I have experience in Japanese snow too. I went to USA on a University work experience program and was lucky enough to live in Colorado and finally living in Japan making quality money teaching has allowed me to hookup with my buddys in England to hit the French slopes. I am not expecting everyone to have been to all 4 areas, but one would assume most respondents would have experience in at least 2 of the places as most of us are gaijin and have skiied in one of the places other than Japan.

We're not as all rich as you...I've only been to BC, Austria, US, and Japan. You rich ass. jeeeeeeeesshhhhhhhhh. Come ski with us someday??? Please??? You sheep fookers blow!!

For real, do you surf??? I got wetsuits.....and boards.

The best powder in the world is not in the Washington and Oregon Cascades. Although we get a lot of snow in a year it is know as the "Cascade Concrete" becuase it is heavy! Not the light fluffy stuff of pow pow dreams.

sorry kamoshika, I was a bit drunk last night and my fingers get squirrley (sp?) after a carton of sake. To explain - I'm a board member of a ski club, skied hakkoda, we had a party afterwards, and....no excuse. Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick and hijack the thread from its original intent.

The best Powder days I've had have actually been here in Japan. No, for real. I've hit two incredible days last year that I will never forget. But for the record, the interior of continents will usually have the drier, better powder. I'd say if you were planning a trip, central Europe or 'gasp' Utah would be the places to go for the best chances of good powder. I hope that helps.

enderzero - you're preaching to the choir here! I grew up skiing in the NW and it still will always be my favorite (this includes Whistler/Blackcomb of course ;\) ) Bummer about the guys at Crystal. I'm just happy they weren't friends of mine. That sounds trite, but I've had some good friends die the last couple years on Rainier and up at Denali.

I hope you guys have an excellent winter!

I'd love to be able to say that I've been to them all to know, but I haven't. It's good to hear other peoples thoughts on the issue though - which is best?

Would have to be the Rockies, B.C for the driest and fluffiest powder. Have been to central B.C twice and both times have had unbelievable snow..amount and quality!! The Kootneys are crazy even if a little outdated in terms of technology but if you want powder and no people then look no further than Red Mountain and Fernie. If your up for some crazy back country then check out Whitewater, a small bowl with only two lifts but access to some of the craziest back country in the rockies.

The snow over the last couple of days in Yuzawa was pretty dry but I may have been just out of the serious snowfall regions [Naeba, Kagura].

Northern Europe-Scandinavia has some really dry powder but lacks the quality due to the extreme conditions. Snow is great on the day of falling but quickly forms to ice. Central Europe, Czech and Slovakia also have really dry snow but due to lack of altitude dont get the consistantly dry snow experienced here or in the Rockies. As for Western Europe, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria, I*ll be uble to update next year.

Being from Australia, i*ll admit our conditions arent the best. I cant say to much positive for NZ either having gone there twice to ride better snow than Aus only to find the conditions worse than at home.

Thanks for the post Kamoshika

I've heard Taos has some good pow pow. Where every you go you will find some pretty good powder! Lots of times it's how you ride it that makes it that more memorable! So far the best powder i've been in is Hakkoda and it's still early in the ski year! Last Friday was an awesome day! Very good visiblity and awesome fluff. I can't wait for more \:D

Hard choice. Im from Canada and the rocky mountain pow is so light and dry but fing cold too.

I will say that for chances to ride or ski pow your better off in Japan. Hey and a face shot is a face shot no matter where you are. I got lots today did you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

Hey and a face shot is a face shot no matter where you are. I got lots today did you?
No.....I wish I did, the only face shots I got were coughs in the face and whiffs of bad breath from some students who proudly told me they had gotten fat after eating too much osechi ryori. I sure it was a sweet day in many places today.

Whitewater is a cool little resort. They have a run right under the chair called the blast. Blast cause you blast right through the lightest pow bumps after a storm. That said I know riders hate bumps but there they dont mind them they are soft.

the blast is about 35 to 40 degrees with a step down cliff on the skiers left levels of 5 10 and 15 feet to lauch of off. You can ski the run to the road and hitchhike back in the morning, or get pickedup by your buddies at the end of the day. The place has soul. Alos when it opens the top for cliff drops as big as you want.

Fernie for the back country Fish Fish Fish bowl. If you can get it, there is a line from the top called 10000 turns. Cause if you climb up you get well over 4000 vertical. If you dont climb you only get 2000 vertical in fish bowl, anyway you look you win.

Sunshine for the dive up to 50 degrees but it must be skied with avie gear and a partner. They hold freeski and snowboard comps there.

Whistler for everything you every want.

Every other rocking little place, in Canada we love back country riding and its yours if you want it. too bad I left.

Hey but Japan is good too.