Always find it curious how some lifts have safety bars and some don't. At the same skijo.

And on the ones that do have safety, they go on and on about using them as if it's a must with signs and announcements.

If so, why are there none on that lift over there?!

i think its just a decision by the resort when purchasing the lift.

perhaps im boring, but i think itd be interesting to witness the whole a-z of getting a lift some time.

the speed of fixed lifts is determined by how fast they thought people could survive getting smacked in the legs, and afaik it hasn't changed since. detachable speeds vary, but are at least 2.5x the speed of fixed grip lifts. so if one of them stopped in a big hurry having a safety bar might save some people from falling out.

but imo its mostly about kids and those afraid of heights. i usually dont use the bar, and have been on plenty of lifts that stop quickly and not even close to even thinking that i might fall. I also sit nearer to the edge of the seat because i keep my backpack on.

i feel many more feelings than to do with safety when people smack me in the head when they have the need to lower the bar before the chair has even left the seating area.

Not sure but I guess it's because there is a slight chance that the chair could slip along the wire while in motion is it's not properly maintained. Bit of speculation there though.

i think i read somewhere that the detachable clamp puts an order of several tons of grip on the cable, and is quite a bit more than with a fixed system.

fixed grip cant be so tight that they might damage the cable too much during the season. they have to be manually moved each year so they dont wear out a single point over the lifetime too. next time on a fixed chair you should look up, you can often see the spots, and you can usually gauge the age of each spot (and thus the cable) by how its faded.

the random nature of detachable means they dont damage a single point over the year, and so can go tighter.

The ones without bars should be able to go faster, less weight.

whatever weight (in the chairs) going up is also coming down. but i guess theres more resistance on the rollers tho.

the fact that you can still hear the variable speed drive at the operational speed (you would describe this as a constant beep sound at slow speeds, a hum at higher) suggests to me that most lifts have a lot more guts to go faster than they're permitted.

Ala Max Smart we have always called the hooded chairs the "cone of silence". Cant say I'm a fan of riding them with my 10 year step son as loves to drop sbd's (silent but deadlys) and gas everyone out!

Ala Max Smart we have always called the hooded chairs the "cone of silence". Cant say I'm a fan of riding them with my 10 year step son as loves to drop sbd's (silent but deadlys) and gas everyone out!

you want to talk to that dude.

Must say I was not so keen on the hooded lifts at Madarao last year especially as they were scratched and frozen up I couldnt see sod all out of them.

But good for keeping you warm during a blizzard of course.