so there seems to be 2 general streams of thinking:

one that says it's not your mountain/your line so as long as it's not dangerous then anything goes,

and the other that says people should have some level of respect for the person in front of them who has worked to get to where they wish to ride/ski down the fall line...

Actually, it seems to be a bit more like this:

so there seems to be 2 general streams of thinking:

one that says enjoy yourself, it's not your mountain/your line so as long as it's not dangerous then anything goes,

and the other that say people traversing across a face to get to untracked, because they are either too lazy or not skilled enough to traverse across the top ridge line, people sideslipping all the way down a pitch of fresh pow, people doing a falling leaf, people who aren't as good as you and that people should have some level of respect for the person in front of them who has worked to get to where they wish to ride/ski down the fall line...

Whose definition of respect are we going to go by? I know some people who think that locals should have first pick and others that think their senpais should have first go...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only etiquette on powder days is to wear a shit eating grin, whoot once in a while, raise your arms in gratitude to the snow gods, and mutter to yourself repeatedly...."this is feckin awesome!!"..

Everyone's got to start somewhere. I skied for over 15 years in Canada but never in the west. That meant I had almost no experience in deep powder. When I first gave it a try in 50cms of fresh in J

I totally agree with you, and I don't really understand all of this "we all paid the same ticket you don't own the lines" mentality. Just because there's no specific rules on the mountain doing whatev

yeah I do find unneeded traverse lines/falling leafs in steep powder annoying, and I know many others think the same.

It happens, it's not going to change anytime soon, so I don't let it ruin my day, and I certainly don't think anyone doesn't have the right to be there.

But, IMO there is a time and place for many things, including learning to ski/ride and becoming confident in steeper terrain. Instructors almost never take novice riders/skiers into deep, steep powder, why is that?

Whose definition of respect? The same one that says if one sees a group of people lining up for something then one doesn't push in. But, hey if it's not dangerous, then by all means. ;)

Instructors almost never take novice riders/skiers into deep, steep powder, why is that?

Why are you assuming that someone having trouble coming down steep powder are novice just because they aren't ripping it up to your standards? I've been out with loads of really good skiers and boarders who aren't used to the stupidly deep powder we get here who have trouble when they are first getting into it. 40-50cms of fresh snow takes a totally different technique then groomers. You get better by pushing yourself, not setting limits.

The same one that says if one sees a group of people lining up for something then one doesn't push in.

Are you really saying that queuing up at the bank is the same as riding lines with multiple approaches, entries and fall lines? Seems like a pretty poor comparison. How about Tubby's example at the beginning of this thread with the people setting up for a shoot? Why do they get access to their own private lines just because they have a video camera?