Is there such a thing?

For example what do people think of other people traversing across a face to get to untracked, because they are either too lazy or not skilled enough to traverse across the top ridge line.

Another one that happened to me the other day at Rusutsu: I was pushing through thigh deep snow to reach the start of my run into untracked. Then, some $%^t used my trail/hard work to speed past me, drop in first and poach my line. Is this acceptable behaviour or not?

I say it's no go and wouldn't think of doing it to someone else? Or does powder mean anything goes?

I totally agree with you, and I don't really understand all of this "we all paid the same ticket you don't own the lines" mentality. Just because there's no specific rules on the mountain doing whatever you want becomes acceptable? There's no law against cutting the line at the post office or in airport check-in, but if you do that someone will tell you to go back to the end of the line. Same should go with powder, it's not about owing the mountain, it's about respecting each other as in every other aspect of life. If you open the track for a drop in point of an untouched line, you should go first, if someone drops you it's not just "that's of life goes". Education will make the world a better place. Next time shout at him, at least. There should be a more severe etiquette like in surfing. The problem is you can so easily get yourself in place you shouldn't be with all the lifts, fat skis and stuff. In backcountry no one will spoil your line, because if you're there, you are educated enough to know the unwritten laws of the game

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only etiquette on powder days is to wear a shit eating grin, whoot once in a while, raise your arms in gratitude to the snow gods, and mutter to yourself repeatedly...."this is feckin awesome!!"..

Everyone's got to start somewhere. I skied for over 15 years in Canada but never in the west. That meant I had almost no experience in deep powder. When I first gave it a try in 50cms of fresh in J

I totally agree with you, and I don't really understand all of this "we all paid the same ticket you don't own the lines" mentality. Just because there's no specific rules on the mountain doing whatev

Is there such a thing?

For example what do people think of other people traversing across a face to get to untracked, because they are either too lazy or not skilled enough to traverse across the top ridge line.

Another one that happened to me the other day at Rusutsu: I was pushing through thigh deep snow to reach the start of my run into untracked. Then, some $%^t used my trail/hard work to speed past me, drop in first and poach my line. Is this acceptable behaviour or not?

I say it's no go and wouldn't think of doing it to someone else? Or does powder mean anything goes?

I totally agree with you, and I don't really understand all of this "we all paid the same ticket you don't own the lines" mentality. Just because there's no specific rules on the mountain doing whatever you want becomes acceptable? There's no law against cutting the line at the post office or in airport check-in, but if you do that someone will tell you to go back to the end of the line. Same should go with powder, it's not about owing the mountain, it's about respecting each other as in every other aspect of life. If you open the track for a drop in point of an untouched line, you should go first, if someone drops you it's not just "that's of life goes". Education will make the world a better place. Next time shout at him, at least. There should be a more severe etiquette like in surfing. The problem is you can so easily get yourself in place you shouldn't be with all the lifts, fat skis and stuff. In backcountry no one will spoil your line, because if you're there, you are educated enough to know the unwritten laws of the game

100% agree, Unfortunately some people just don't seem to grasp the idea of treating others how they would like to be treated and instead appear to think in terms purely based on regulations/written rules/policy/ what they can get away with...

Surfing is up its own arse with its politics......one of the reasons I didn't really get into it (another more important reason is that its too bloody hard for a fat body like myself!! ;) )

Surfing is a very aggressive sport there is way to much agro in the water for such a soul surfing background

My preferred sport now is snowboarding I just live somewhere which makes it hard

Although 21 Days on the mountain/ slope this year will eclipse thee amount of time spent in the water

Remember Rusutsu is crap and not worth traveling from Niseko for a day

Surfing is a very aggressive sport there is way to much agro in the water for such a soul surfing background

sure it is, and it sucks for that, but there are too many people in the water and not enough waves... Wintersport population in the hunt for freshies keep growing, it will be the same on the mountain, it's just a matter of time

btw, sorry but i'll pay a couple of visit to Rusutsu soon. I know it's not worth it, but i like wasting money and time

Hopefully it will never come to that with 500 odd resorts in Japan we should always be able to find freshies

crowd.jpg

That what Shonan (where I used to live) looks like......minus any actual waves

The comparison with surfing etiquette is wrong. Those rules exist for only two reasons. The first is safety and the second is that someone has decided that it's his wave. What you are talking about on the hill isn't safety... so what's left?

As I said before, what was described is not something that I would ever do but when you are riding at a resort you have to be prepared to share.

no friends any day.

It's silly isn't it?

I made the most effort to get here first, this is mine.

Nobody owns anything. Stop being so juvenile.

I consider "juvenile" going out there in the powder with no friends. If something goes wrong what's the plan, digging yourself out? If you have to hike for 600mt vertical in knee deep pow what's the plan, track down all alone and then rest for a week?

I sincerely hope you will understand the difference between "owing" something and the respect for other's efforts, sooner or later. Not in snowboarding, but in everyday life.

The comparison with surfing etiquette is wrong. Those rules exist for only two reasons. The first is safety and the second is that someone has decided that it's his wave. What you are talking about on the hill isn't safety... so what's left?

As I said before, what was described is not something that I would ever do but when you are riding at a resort you have to be prepared to share.

Only partly true. Sure the surfing rules exist for safety, but the "no snaking" rule, wich applies for skateboarding in bowls and ramps as well, is not for safety, it's just for the purpose of respect and sharing. Unfortunately in surfing douchebags snake just because they surf better than some other. This is unrespectful, to say the least. Same goes for dropping on another's track. It's definitely unrespectful. It's snaking. It's like farting all the time on a 10hours flight. No one can stop you, but if you do that, you're a douchebag.

Btw surfing rules are not there cause someone has decided it's his wave. Being dropped on a wave is no fun at all, as in skateboarding on ramps and bowls, and in pow riding.

Unfortunately you're right when you say that when you are at a resort you gotta be prepared for this, but it's not sharing at all. If i see some people sidesliding a pow chute i'm disappointed, but being a beginner is not a crime and i'd never say anything about it. But f a see an arrogant act, i call it with its name. Nothing will change, but it's not good reason to say it's ok

So, you track to a point where you want to drop in to 'your' line. Someone else rolls up while you are fiddling about and poaches 'your' line. He's a total douchebag. I get that.

But how do you know that he wasn't there yesterday hitting the exact some spot and has decided that it is 'his' line because he was there the day before (and maybe every day of the week before that). His douchebaggery is a direct result of the 'it's mine' mentality. Things start to get dangerous and agro with a bunch of people skiing/boarding with that type of thinking. You are at a resort. It's not yours.

• Like 1

sure if someone stops and is fiddling about and time wasting, then I can't see any problem. However, if someone has put in the traverse track through deep/deepish snow to reach some goods and someone else uses this track to boost past them and turn into the fall line of said goods first then what a selfish %*#@er.

And sure every one has to learn to ride/ski somewhere, but learning to ride/ski on a steep face with deep powder is very strange place to learn. If they went there themselves, it's annoying, but it happens. If someone guides them there knowing they are beginners, then the guide should be banned.

In that instance the stalker/ follower should say hi and invite the person doing up their kit to drop in and await a response

Most people would direct you or let you go if you were polite

In that instance the stalker/ follower should say hi and invite the person doing up their kit to drop in and await a response

Most people would direct you or let you go if you were polite

exactly how I see it :thumbsup:

So, you track to a point where you want to drop in to 'your' line. Someone else rolls up while you are fiddling about and poaches 'your' line. He's a total douchebag. I get that.

But how do you know that he wasn't there yesterday hitting the exact some spot and has decided that it is 'his' line because he was there the day before (and maybe every day of the week before that). His douchebaggery is a direct result of the 'it's mine' mentality. Things start to get dangerous and agro with a bunch of people skiing/boarding with that type of thinking. You are at a resort. It's not yours.

:clap:

so there seems to be 2 general streams of thinking:

one that says it's not your mountain/your line so as long as it's not dangerous then anything goes,

and the other that says people should have some level of respect for the person in front of them who has worked to get to where they wish to ride/ski down the fall line...

:clap:

Exacory