Is there such a thing?

For example what do people think of other people traversing across a face to get to untracked, because they are either too lazy or not skilled enough to traverse across the top ridge line.

Another one that happened to me the other day at Rusutsu: I was pushing through thigh deep snow to reach the start of my run into untracked. Then, some $%^t used my trail/hard work to speed past me, drop in first and poach my line. Is this acceptable behaviour or not?

I say it's no go and wouldn't think of doing it to someone else? Or does powder mean anything goes?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only etiquette on powder days is to wear a shit eating grin, whoot once in a while, raise your arms in gratitude to the snow gods, and mutter to yourself repeatedly...."this is feckin awesome!!"..

Everyone's got to start somewhere. I skied for over 15 years in Canada but never in the west. That meant I had almost no experience in deep powder. When I first gave it a try in 50cms of fresh in J

I totally agree with you, and I don't really understand all of this "we all paid the same ticket you don't own the lines" mentality. Just because there's no specific rules on the mountain doing whatev

Haha....that's pretty rough, Sand!

I was in the opposite seat so to speak today, riding down to steamboats, I rode past a group of people filming a kicker off a fallen tree.....1st time I gave them the room and didn't spoil the snow, but after riding somewhere else then coming back, they STILL hadn't filmed the shot....WTF?!? I've paid good money to be there too, so I cut across the bottom.....to cries of "stay left!!" Then "watch the camera!!".....if you're not fast, you're last :p

Personally, I wouldn't do either of the things you described...

That being said, just enjoy yourself dude! They aren't your mountains and they aren't your lines. Everyone paid the same to be there so just chill. If you don't want others around poaching your lines then go to resorts where people aren't frothing to smash pow. Better yet, don't go to resorts at all ;)

That being said, just enjoy yourself dude! They aren't your mountains and they aren't your lines. Everyone paid the same to be there so just chill. If you don't want others around poaching your lines then go to resorts where people aren't frothing to smash pow. Better yet, don't go to resorts at all ;)

What is with assuming I didn't enjoy myself? I had a truly awesome day. I was just giving examples from my own observations of what IMO is poor behaviour, and wondered if anyone else had similar thoughts...it's wasn't supposed to be about me or my line but what is considered reasonable behaviour?

I just say chill. The mountain is for everyone we all pay to use it so we are all entitled to use every available part of the mountain.

If they cut you up and did something dangerous thatts a different story but if they pinched a bit of pow I reckon its tuff just rip up a different part.

If you did the work to get to the pow and they then take it yeah then that sucks and I would say they suck but thats life unfortunately.

I just say chill. The mountain is for everyone we all pay to use it so we are all entitled to use every available part of the mountain.

If they cut you up and did something dangerous thatts a different story but if they pinched a bit of pow I reckon its tuff just rip up a different part.

If you did the work to get to the pow and they then take it yeah then that sucks and I would say they suck but thats life unfortunately.

my thoughts exactly

What is with assuming I didn't enjoy myself? I had a truly awesome day. I was just giving examples from my own observations of what IMO is poor behaviour, and wondered if anyone else had similar thoughts...it's wasn't supposed to be about me or my line but what is considered reasonable behaviour?

I'm happy you had a good day since that is why we ride :)

As for reasonable behaviour, I think anything that isn't dangerous is ok. Everyone is there to enjoy themselves, everyone paid the same lift ticket, nobody owns the mountain and nobody owns the line.

When people sideslip all the way down a pitch of fresh pow, it is awesome, and when they add a falling leaf to the mix to spread it out across the slope as much as possible, wow it is a truly a thing of beauty :)

Everyone's got to start somewhere. I skied for over 15 years in Canada but never in the west. That meant I had almost no experience in deep powder. When I first gave it a try in 50cms of fresh in Japan it was like learning all over again. The enthusiasm that beginners have for freshies gets me stoked.

• Like 1
The only etiquette on powder days is to wear a shit eating grin, whoot once in a while, raise your arms in gratitude to the snow gods, and mutter to yourself repeatedly...."this is feckin awesome!!".... :wave:

Perfect!

Each to there own I think rocking up with a ski group from another resort sucks I could have ridden that line 10 times by myself but they wreck it in 2 runs.

No friends go for it

.....if you're not fast, you're last :p

This. If you see a poacher coming, point em down. You can always use your own track to get farther next lap. Unless you're skinning in which case there'll be plenty left no matter where the last guy dropped in.

The only rule I have ever heard about powder days is that there are no friends on a powder day.

You've got the wrong friends then Arthur ;)

Of course it is hyperbole as almost everything is better with friends, but I guess you could be forgiven for being a bit more selfish on glorious pow day...

Classic line BTW - we had the same expression on the beach for overhead/double overhead days.