• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel..

Seems to be by sqm.

I'm having some difficulty seperating cost of bricks/materials from the labour which is kind of annoying me. I had this with the house but I hate it when things are unclear and they are unwilling to shed light on - makes it sound suspicious, even if it may not be.

I don't know if it's the norm here but it's actually putting me off the until now faves to do the job which is disappointing.

Yep costs getting out of control here and some unreasonably 'let's rob him' kind of numbers I feel.

:grandpa:

As you suggested Mr Wiggles, they seem to be in the business of quoting inflated costs.

Looking into using imported bricks and found some interesting alternatives.

Any Aussies know of australbricks? Good reputation for quality product?

I am getting that impression.

I have been researching bricklaying. (Oh the excitement). It seems a good brickie overseas is expected to be able to lay 500 and upwards a day, obviously depending on whether it's just a line of bricks or more complicated work. If there's say about 50 bricks in a sqm, that's 10m a day right? I may have misunderstood - still waiting for official mitsumori - but the guy seemed to be saying that the labour/skill work (ie. aside from materials) for bricklaying was 22,000 yen per sqm. If I'm not mistaken that works out at 220,000 yen for a days work!

:rollabout:

Am I missing something there?

Other places I am now looking at seem to be saying 6000-9000 yen per sqm. Which seems much more realistic.

:lol:

Thinking of learning myself!

Like I said there's a chance I misunderstood. Mitsumori incoming soon. I think he got the message that I wasn't going to be having any of that kind of nonsense though, so it will be interesting to see what he presents to me.

By your numbers, 22,000 per sq meter means 440 yen per brick. Does each one get a kiss and a cuddle?

Do you want a wall that is single or double thickness? Unless its low, it should really be double thickness. Block walls are one of the first things to fall over in earthquakes. The labour cost shouldn't differ by double though because the amount of face work is the same.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur03.htm

Single thickness is what is on the plan - looks like 65cm tall (7-8 bricks?) with a fence on top.

From what I gather they put steel rods through the bricks in places to make it stronger. You reckon single ok for that?

The other brickwork is for flower beds, so at most 4 bricks.

I'm going to ask for a no hugging no kissing cost! ;)

I think I will do some garden work this spring. I want to make a pergola so we can sit outside more often in the summer.

I have given up on the grass. First we used luxurious grass seeds brought over from England. This mostly died after one year. Now I just cut the grass/weeds very short which enables the kids to play on the garden and looks ok from distance, but not too good close up.

I did plant some korai grass (spell) at the front of the house. I think this is a Korean/Japanese blend. This seems to be a lot stronger and looks very nice, though it does turn brown in winter.

You know what, at the showroom we went to the other week they actually had an area of artificial grass.

And you know what (2), it looked pretty good as well. When I saw it at first I rushed over thinking it was real and even close up it looked good.

It would look good and not need the maintenance.

The idea of using fake grass though.... hmmm.

Hmmm, yeah I still can't make my mind up about the grass.

Problem is, what's the alternative - other than totally tiled/bricked/whatever area. :(

Small crushed stone with larger patio stones in various designs can look really nice. It really depends on the size of the garden though. I'm actually trying to figure out what to do with our backyard now after we had a few large trees taken out of our garden. There is a lot more space and a lot more light making it through now... Tough decisions!

You know what, thinking about it since I posted that, the only minus I can really think of is -- 'would it be naff'? And I suppose I answered that really when I saw it up close at the showroom and was surprised at how good it looked.

It might actually be an idea worth at least considering. We'll be having plenty of natural flowers, shrubs and a few trees anyway. Well at least I'll give it a bit of research time! :lol:

artificial grass might be the go!

I saw some good looking stuff at Costco in the states last year, I am not sure if they sell it in Japan though.

Crushed stones are alright (we have some) but it is nice to have grass for the color.