• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel..

Just got the first plan back from the more traditional company.

2.5 million yen without the garden shed. Oh and without tax. So basically well over 3 mill.

:sadface:

I know it's their starting point and all but.

Funny how the numbers add up.

The plan is ok but somewhat underwhelming. I can't say I'm particularly excited about it. Given me a few ideas though.

It's the other company that we both seem to be hoping will come up with the goods, they have been very responsive to ideas over the last week. Hopefully we'll get their initial idea by the weekend.

I must admit that I do have this habit of liking things that always seem to be quite expensive.

:doh:

And it does include a lot of stuff right through to a complete garden with drainage and very nice fencing etc.

But this costing does seem too much for what it is. He says, without having any experience. :lol: Just a feeling. I know nothing!

Will be very interesting to see what the other dudes come up with. Perhaps I'll get more of an idea of about what I need to be thinking of.

Good thing is that they did give a pretty detailed breakdown of costs, not just a big number.

That is very interesting to see.

It's clear that a lot of nice fence (the idea was brick lower + iron/metal design top) is ---- not cheap.

3 million plus is not untypical from the "20 designer gardens" type books I've seen from the local library, sometimes just for 50 square meters or so.

From your description, my guess is that your fence, brick double thickness or brick tile on blockwork below plus vinyl fencing on top would be 70,000 yen plus per metre of length installed. For installation, the longer it is, the cheaper.

Even if you put a fence in, I guess most people would still put beds with shrubs etc. (i.e., stuff that costs money) in front of it. A lawn or hard landscaping extending all the way up to a fence will look pretty sabishii. If your fence is just for screening, you can do that with shrubs and trees.

A yamaboushi is a Japanese dogwood, a very common garden tree. You get big showy white flowers (the flower is actually the green bit in the center, but still) that mature into berries that are really creamy and quite tropical in taste, though not so many people eat them. Pretty good autumn colour too. A karin is a quince, the apple/pear like fruit used for making syrups and preserves (marmalade comes from the Portuguese "marmelo" for quince). We've got both, and the only thing to note is that a quince will grow very vertically, putting out lots of new vertical shoots every year, so its not the most attractive of trees. Ours was about three meters high when I bought it and it was 4,500 yen at the J Mart home center over where snowdude lives. Unlike apples, they are self pollinating, so you will get fruit off a single tree.

I don't know the English for sarusuberi, but its a flowering tree with a twisty trunk that is pink and a bit peely and has flowers that in the ones I've seen are a very showy pink. Again a pretty common garden tree in Japan.

Its too early in the year for many to be up yet, but Yahoo Auctions can give you a guide to the price of trees from various merchants. Here's a dogwood, for example

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n126963073

It sounds lovely, as does the fence. Its sounds like something an upmarket restaurant in a chic bit of Tokyo would have around its terrace.

Go on, show us the plan. :)

Thanks. The plan I was mentioning so far is still only in my head really. I'm waiting for someone to visualise it!

The company that sent me their plan yesterday, yappari, while I know it's just an original thing I just get the feeling that they don't have the kind of modern (for want of a better word) ideas I want. They also don't seem to want to communicate by email - I just get the feeling they are....... old-fashioned. I like to throw ideas around quickly and be in lots of contact, so not sure that kind of thing would work with those guys. I'll give them a chance though and meet at the weekend to discuss further.

I'm really hoping the other company comes up with good ideas. Meeting them on Sunday when he will show us his first outline. I have been in contact with him a few times since we met and he has pointed me in the direction of companies/catalogues of stuff to look at. Always replies to my emails quickly. I like that.

• SnowJapan Admin

DumbStick, talking about garden sheds that are strong and long lasting, especially when there's snow involved, we had a look at some of the things here on recommendation from a friend

http://www.deasgarden.jp/

Nice.

Expensive!

Also for fences, Takasho have some interesting ideas.

If you do go with a fence, especially a solid one, ask the company what they think about air circulation in your garden. I don't have a fence, but we sometimes get a black mould on the leaves of our trees. For sitting in the garden too, obviously things get pretty hot in summer in Japan, so you don't want to shut out any breezes if you've got them.

Thanks for those recommendations, they look very nice actually! Will take a closer look later.

Not been particularly impressed with any 'shed' yet. They're all just.... sheds. Something that looks nice is a plus.

Had a good day today.

The "other guy" really came up with the goods. He was amazingly well prepared and had obviously spent a very large amount of time on our plan. Days, I would guess. Very in depth, explaining each bit of detail for us and having printouts of everything used. As a first idea, we were very impressed both with the idea itself and the amount of effort he had obviously put into it. Lots of ideas and thoughts were thrown around and in about a week he promises to give us a new version. He gave us an 'about' of around the same price as well - while at the same time showing costs of all the bits - though it seemed to us that we'd be getting more for it than with the other company.

Old fashioned company. Nothing wrong with them as such, but in contrast they were just so aimai it was unfunny.

They are just so out of it already.

I am still thinking what to do with my garden once spring arrives, looking at the amount of snow we get here and strong winds, not sure I would bother with a fence, or nothing more than a low lying one, but want to do something, because it is just dirt at the moment, and once this snow eventually melts, our back garden is going to be impossible to walk on, but not sure that grass would survive a winter here either.

I guess it will give us something to think about for spring/summer to do.

I'm getting more used to the idea that if we want something to a certain quality, it'll cost around that. Coming up with the money and deciding to do it is a different matter!

Both companies showed me the breakdown, and I can see how it all adds up both in terms of materials and people's time.

One thing I know for sure, I do not want 'blocks' in my garden - fence or otherwise. Nice bricks ('baked bricks'?) please, not horrid cheapo 'blocks'. Yuck.

I am still thinking what to do with my garden once spring arrives, looking at the amount of snow we get here and strong winds, not sure I would bother with a fence, or nothing more than a low lying one, but want to do something, because it is just dirt at the moment, and once this snow eventually melts, our back garden is going to be impossible to walk on, but not sure that grass would survive a winter here either.

I guess it will give us something to think about for spring/summer to do.

Both Western and Japanese grass will survive a winter no problems. Japanese grass just goes brown.

Hot and dry will kill Western grass, and the usual things like disease, fungus, bad pH, weed invasion etc. will kill both types I guess.