• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel..

My dad is a keen gardener, or was, and when he came to Japan he commented on the lack of nice gardens. In private homes anyway.

Nice gardens don't seem to be as important here as to lots of Brits for example.

There's that too yeah. I have a few friends though that have decent pieces of land but it's all a bit of a mess.

Back home it'd be a lovely lawn, trees flowers and nicely landscaped.

Can't think of (m)any nicely done gardens around where I live even places with a bit of space.

As with their houses, Japan people could do more with their gardens. Some of it will be driven by houses losing value so quickly. There's no need for them to go up crazily as in the anglo countries, but going down so quickly just means people try to avoid spending much money on them. A nicer environment = higher quality of life, so it does matter.

If you're putting a garden in, weeds grow way faster in Japan than the UK. The climate is far more tropical. While you can grow lawns, they are hard work and the most lush types of grass aren't very happy at Japan temperatures, especially at sea level. Japanese grass is resistant to heat but is scratchy to feel and goes brown in winter. Just look at any golf course at this time of year.

Our garden is coming along and gives us lots of pleasure. We eat outside I guess getting on for a hundred times a year. To do that, you need shade. It's too hot a lot of the time otherwise.

I've noticed that about grass over here.....pretty shit.....but hokkaido is different. Much more like home. Nice lush grass in the parks, Odori Koen in Sapporo is a great place to laze out on the grass and sup a beer during summer time

Interesting points all.

They did explain to us about grass and how it was different type to what you'll see in UK etc. Basically a no show in winter. But did stress that if you look after it, it can be nice - just needs quite a lot of care.

Got to admit that I feel a bit a hole now where the house planning was last year. Kind of wanting to get back to busy with this.

You can get western grass too in Japan. Most people use American varieties, some of which are more lush and deep coloured than what you normally see in Britain. It just doesn't do well if you live in a hotter area. Western grass stays green all winter, even under snow. It feels much nicer to lie on than Japanese grass. Japanese grass has an advantage however in that you can buy kill everything but the grass weedkiller. I haven't seen that kind of product for western grass in Japan.

We had a lawn put in but the guy did the absolute minimum to put it in and it died a couple of years later. We were away for a week and I couldn't water it. Most online sources say grass should have a bed that's 15cm plus deep, but the guy didn't bother and its more like 2cm. He just threw a tiny bit of sand on top of the compacted gravel the builders did to stop the mud after the house was built. In hindsight, I did well to keep it alive as long. Anyway, I'll hire a digger and get the old boy to dig it up properly when we get some money.

You know what, I really hadn't thought about that much.

And a very good point to.

Will be sure to ask about that when I get these plans, hopefully incoming soon.

How does the tax thing work for things that are ordered and contracts signed?

Or do the purchases have to be 'delivered'?

I don't know for different industries but when we were looking at different car companies we were told that simply ordering (and even paying for) a car before the tax rise did not mean we would get the pre-rise price. It actually eliminated several of the cars I was looking at because there was a waiting list for them. The final price was calculated by when we received the car.

:(

Interesting. Will be keen to hear how that works re: gardens.

If all goes well, I can see us perhaps being able to agree a price and sign a contract before 1st April. But obviously won't be able to have a garden that soon!

I will be sure to let you know how that goes.

Makes me wish I had started the processs a bit earlier now. Won't get my hopes up at all though as it all seems way too tight considering.

Can't complain I suppose, I was rather busy until late in the year and our house is pretty much fully kitted out, so got all of that lot in before any increase.

I reckon you might be a bit too late realistically.

They will very probably give you a before consumption tax estimate, lots of the catalogue prices as like that.

Good luck.

Haven't got the initial plans yet, but I gave the companies a call and asked them about the tax situation.

Yappari, it will be 8%. We won't even be able to begin making the garden until April at the earliest so finishing it at the earliest will be May perhaps later. So 8%, even if we agree what we want and sign a contract before April 1st.

:(

Due to severe neglect......she'd take too much of a loss on the trade in. So, no...no new Chriselle model this year. :naughty: Not that I can be sure she hasn't taken a few new models out for test drives.... :confused:

;)