• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel..

Very interesting talking to the two companies yesterday, spent over 2 hours with each bombarding them with questions.

Good thing was we got very similar answers on some of the main question we had, which I'm glad about.

Liked them both actually and got on well with them.

They were quite different though. One a company going for 50+ years and lots of experience but perhaps traditional. Very 'Japanese office' feel.

The other company was much more modern and young feeling, the office was more oshare etc as was lots of the work they have done.

Gave them lots of ideas of things we like, things we don't like etc.

They are both going to send us their ideas 1-2 weeks from now so it will be very interesting to see what they come up with.

Impossible to say as it was just throwing ideas around.

They wanted an about number, but I didn't want to limit them (while at the same time stressing to not get carried away).

When they submit the plan they'll be sending a number too.

Thx. If you do decide to make a shed be sure you got a drill to screw the screws in unless you want a knackered arm and shoulder. I used my cordless drill made life so easy.

Just the base of my shed has 1000 screws in it.

I think I used more than 5000 screws in the end.

I can believe it. I just use my Makita cord drill for screwing in situations like that.

The cordless screwdriver I have ("gift" from the homebuilding company) is pretty much useless -- stores about enough juice to hang a single picture frame on sheetrock.

Cordless drills are great for loads of things, I even use mine when I change tyres to speed things up, but I think I'd buy a nailer if I was building a shed. Good stepladders too.

My cordless is a 18V Bosch off Amazon US. The dollar's a lot higher now, but it might still be cheaper than in Japan.

I hate cordless drills.... I have a Dewalt, Ryobi, and Hitachi all sitting in the garbage bin right now because the battery sets lasted only a year or so. Replacement batteries cost more than buying a completely new drill and battery set. It's despicable actually as all three bodies are in perfect shape. I talked with the Dewalt rep when I was back in Canada over Christmas and all he said was........ :wakaranai:

Fences.

We get on well with our neighbour, not that we see them all that much.... there's about 10m between the houses.

In planning my garden, I want to make a fence between us. Not a huge great big hulking thing, maybe 1.2-1.5m height.

A nice looking thing.

Actually there's a 'sort of' fence for about 1/3 of the line now - not particularly nice - but the rest is simply some old brick blocks. I think that is just within their boundary, but it kind of acts as a fence on our side too of course.

Had a quick word with them and they basically seemed to say please feel free to do if you like - but we don't have any money to spend on an expensive fence.

I'm moving forward thinking that we'll just do what we want, and pay for it, and have it just within the property line for that 2/3 bit.

But fences and property lines are a real difficult topic aren't they?

We didn't actually discuss details of that with them actually. It's something I have been thinking about since then.

They are both coming back to me by the end of next week with general ideas and a plan which I'm really looking forward to.

I met a guy from a third loal company the other day actually, but he was more into simple planting flowers and trees rather than landscaping and creating a plan. I got the impression that what I'm asking is not really the kind of thing he does.

Biggest source of neighbour disputes hey?

Even though the neighbour would 'enjoy it' - even if they did not choose it - you're probably best up just planning for yourself like you say.. if you can afford that.

I was interested to hear what they say, but what I'd recommend are SHUBBERIES

knights_who_say_ni_by_zed_with_fangs-d2z5ojn.jpg

Basically any nice wooden fence will need painting every year and you said you don't want to do maintenance. In Japan, I suspect a painted fence will still rot pretty quick. Mega rain and strong UV when its not raining. You mightn't get 10 years. Unlike wooden siding, fences don't have roofs with overhangs above them.

A box hedge will get crushed by snow, so I recommend just a line of deciduous bushes. Blueberries would do a pretty good job. Flowers in spring, delicious berries, and then crimson autumn colour. If you're not bothered about berries and can't be fussed picking them, a bush called a doudan tsutsuji will give you blueberry esque flowers and mega spectacular autumn colour. They go Kyoto maple scarlet. Other azaleas and rhodedendrons will do a similar job. You can get ones that flower in all different colours. Like blueberries, they're all the height you mentioned.

One of the companies showed us a bit of fencing that looked very much like wood - but it was actually an extremely strong plastic.

I don't have the name of it but I really liked it and the idea of it being strong and not needing painting.

That as the top half and some kind of brick work as the bottom bit.

Sounds attractive to me.

I've noticed up here that although many houses have gardens around the house, they don't have fences or walls to speak of......I wonder why.....perhaps the snow? Anyone got any idea?