• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel..

What sort of cost are trees?

We've bought quite a few. A meter long sapling of a cherry blossom tree or a fruit tree from the home center is 600 to 1200 yen. A common Japanese maple that's two meters high and say a 1.5m spread is 10,000 yen or so. A flowering tree like a dogwood or a snowbell that 2.5 to 3m high and 2m across maybe 20,000. If you want something that's a cultivated variety with nicer leaves or bark, you can pay 5,000 for 10,000 just for a sapling.

Once you get over 10cm diameter for the trunk, you'll probably need a crane. The root ball will be big and very heavy. We got our biggest ones from the local forestry people and they delivered them and craned them into place for 1000 yen. We only had to dig the holes. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a huge saving over going through a normal dealer.

Good to keep in mind.

I think I'm pretty good at negotiating prices.

I think we will be quite a good customer though, as I want them to basically design and create the whole thing in one go from scratch, so hopefully they'll be keen to impress!

Or at least that's where we start off anyway.

We got our biggest ones from the local forestry people and they delivered them and craned them into place for 1000 yen. We only had to dig the holes. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a huge saving over going through a normal dealer.

Mt Wiggles, could you perhaps elaborate on that. Who are these people and are they always so friendly and helpful?! Sounds good!

Ok here is my shed, sorry crappy photos, but I guess it's enough to get an idea. All hand built by my own hands.

I still have the corners to finish, I still haven't found the right type of corner edging that I want, and I have a little bit to do on the top edge, other than that it is finished.

med_gallery_8995_365_94406.jpg

med_gallery_8995_365_707480.jpg

Inside

med_gallery_8995_365_350268.jpg

med_gallery_8995_365_441827.jpg

The local Shinrin Kumiai. The forestry agency. They used to get a load in of trees and have a sale once a year in April but it sounds like they've stopped doing it.

Nice job snowdude. Since it's boarded out inside, has flooring, and a large beer fridge, that's more of a man cave than a shed.

Now you just need a leather sofa (single seater will do) some guitars, and a projector for the football and kung fu movies.

Actually its full of my tools farrming equipment and weights barbells bench, etc.

Once I tidy it up properly and stow my farming stuff in another small lockup Im working on then that will become my gym and workshop.

But actually it will have a table and chair once I tidy it up that along with a nice little speaker system so I can listen to my music while working out.

Good work snowdude.

I really can't see me doing something like that though.

Another question. Is the reason I see amost zero nice grass / lawns here because people just don't like them/ have the space, or a climate thing and just not suited?