Getting used to living in the new house. Actually very used to it.

:friend:

Now thoughts turn to a garden. As well as bits down the side, we probably have a space of about 15m x 6m to work with. Not huge, but would like to do something nice with it.

So thinking about talking with a few companies that help plan gardens and perhaps get it up and running for me. While I'm fine learning how to maintain one, I don't think I'm interested in spending ages actually creating it and would prefer it to happen all at once. So I think I'd prefer to discuss ideas with a company and pay them to get it initially done.

Anyone done anything like that, either here in Japan or elsewhere?

Looking forward to the next challenge!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel..

What kind of garden...landscaped or actual veggie type garden?? If it's the latter that's a lot-o-dirt so you'll want to get a truck load or two..or three delivered. Me....I'd build a workshop... ;) Remember to include all the time you will be out there weeding and just keeping the "jungle" at bay... I just have a couple little patches and even those are a pain in the ass keeping....kept.

Actually.....recently I gave up trying to keep the growth in check. So..I raked everything level and flat and layed down some black underlay and topped it all with a couple a yards of "jari" gravel...ala Japanese garden style. It looks good and really does away with trying to keep on top of the relentless weeds. This Spring I will be making some cedar planters for the plants and veggies. Much more manageable..!

• Like 1

One specific question. I want to research garden sheds. Nice ones, not some horrible tin things you can see at home centers here.

Anyone know what I should be searching for in nihongo for 'pretty garden shed'?

If its snowy where you live, your trees will have to be tied up in winter. Powder snow that falls when its cold isn't a problem, but the wet, sticky stuff you get at temps close to zero can snap even very big trees.

There are loads of books in Japanese about gardening, so take a look at them for ideas. It makes more sense than looking at books from overseas because of availability. There are plenty of Japanese people with western style gardens using native plants. They will fare much better in this climate.

You can buy shed kits from the US (at a large premium over the US price) or just download the instructions and copy the design. I'd like a shed but I dunno how long a wooden one would last with the snow. It would have to survive on its own because I wouldn't be up for digging it out. The odd shoveling of the roof is about all the winter love it would get.

Some of the Costco stores have nice plastic fake wood ones. Seriously, they are pretty nice.

Check out www.diyna.com ....there are a few nice cedar kit sheds...pricey but nice.

also,,, www.jstyle.co.jp

and,, www.js-g.co.jp

and.. www.green-bell.co.jp

and,,,, www.shinwa-m.com

and .... www.fin-bigbox.com

Those should get you started... :wave:

I'm sure you know this but there are some "garden planning" online thingies that you can use to plan out things.

Might be fun.

Got to plan where to put the Gnome Roses!

e2be0ff6-bc81-4fe2-a3c5-916bb6a1c5bb_zpseda4d9a7.jpg

Good luck!

Some of the Costco stores have nice plastic fake wood ones. Seriously, they are pretty nice. Check out www.diyna.com ....there are a few nice cedar kit sheds...pricey but nice. also,,, www.jstyle.co.jp and,, www.js-g.co.jp and.. www.green-bell.co.jp and,,,, www.shinwa-m.com and .... www.fin-bigbox.com Those should get you started... :wave:

I had a look at the first one and they sell one like the one I wanted to build. The best known version is called the Phoenix Solar Shed and its a kind of a potting shed/greenhouse hybrid. Anyway if you look at the company that makes that one, called "Handy Home Products", they have downloadable instructions online for all their sheds which tell you the dimensions of every piece of wood. They are essentially plans for making the thing from scratch. I reckon you could make back the time saved by cutting the wood yourself by using a nail gun during assembly. I'm sure you could easily buy a big chop saw, two big step ladders and a framing nailer with the money you'd save by not buying the wood precut. Assembly without a nail gun and good ladders is possible, and seems to be what they suggest, but will be a pain in the arse.

For making a shed from scratch, you can even buy machined metal brackets for all of the joints. It won't matter if the 2x4s you bolt to them are slightly out. All of your angles will still be spot on.

I remember you saying you built a house with the high foundations because of the snow, so would that affect your shed? How deep does it get?

Ya.....no, I wouldn't buy any of those kits either..... they are too pricey when you can buy the lumber and bang out a shed like that in a couple weekends...maybe three....since it's been a while. ;) I built two garden sheds at my dads place which took a little longer as we decided to pour raised concrete foundations. But, if you are just doing a simple on grade block foundation ...quick and easy AND like you say.....you don't need a lot of tools or brains if you use the handy-dandy steel brackets.

No, I don't think so as long as they are cleaned a couple times a year so the pumps don't get gummed up. Having fish in them requires a bit more maintenance. One of our friends has a really nice pond in her back yard with a little bridge....very cool setup.

Ya..simple. The design of the plastic tub ponds kinda assumes you are going to stock fish. Deeper means a better habitat for the fish with less temperature fluctuation. But you are right....Other than having fish I don't think there is another solution to keeping the mosquitoes down.... :wakaranai:

Snow hasn't been too much of an issue here yet Mr Wiggles.

Certainly manageable amounts.

Just one more thing to consider and consult.

In the next few weeks we'll go and talk with a few companies and see what they say.