I'm just keen to get some real Japanese style food. That's why I'm so interested I that! I'm always heading to Japanese places where I live, but nothing could compete with the real thing!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi!   Aside from overpriced restaurants n stuff? fyi, smoking is allowed in many restaurants from 9pm ish, my burning eyes really puts me off my appetite. youll need to book if you want to eat at

Just back from Niseko, and I might add you might also want to brush up on bus etiquette. Niseko is in the countryside, and the local bus uses an old-style pay system. It is pretty simply actually... y

Snow board Onsen (wash before you go in) Drink Eat Sleep and do again

Just for reference, the MasterCard issue was fixed yesterday and the 7 bank ATMs are now taking all MasterCards.

Ps Niseko is awesome for large amounts of snow and learning how to ski/board. It doesn't hurt as much to fall over in soft snow ;-)

I'm just keen to get some real Japanese style food. That's why I'm so interested I that! I'm always heading to Japanese places where I live, but nothing could compete with the real thing!

Those restaurants mentioned are super expensive but not indicative of most Japanese restaurants.......they are special, high end places. Regular izakaya or yakitori shops will have much lower prices and still quality Japanese food. Of course if u fancy splurging on high end food that's cool too but to get authentic japanese food, you don't need to remortgage the house :)

It looks dead cool though, and you can feel really posh and particularly cultured by telling people you have been. :thumbsup:

....once you have scoffed on some crisps and pies when you get back of course to fill yourself up.

Of course, don't tell anyone that last bit.

;)

If you are looking for Japanese food then don't go to either Kamimura, Iki or Asperges. What you'll get at places like that is European (French) cuisine with a slight Japanese twist using some Hokkaido ingredients. That's not to say it isn't delicious food but it's the kind of food you can find anywhere in the world if you are willing to pay for it.

Yakitori, ramen, okonomiyaki, soba, udon, yakiniku.......most importantly, SOUP CURRY!!

Those are the kind of restaurants you should be looking for!!

If you find yourself getting bored of awesome powder snow (why would you though really?!) or it's too windy to hit the hills, why not take a bus or train ride to Sapporo?? That way you can go to lots of restaurants and eat lots of yummy food for cheap!! No tips jars to be seen either!! ;)

If you are looking for Japanese food then don't go to either Kamimura, Iki or Asperges. What you'll get at places like that is European (French) cuisine with a slight Japanese twist using some Hokkaido ingredients. That's not to say it isn't delicious food but it's the kind of food you can find anywhere in the world if you are willing to pay for it.
not so much in Perth...although slowly improving. Therefore indulging occasionally during a holiday filled with local faire works for me.

I think my favourite new food this time around (bearing in mind I think this was my 7th Japanese trip in 8 years, and I am adventurous with new food....so many have already been discovered) was BURDOCK CHIPS from Mina Mina.

First time I had knowingly eaten burdock in any form, and I enjoyed it so much I ordered Burdock seeds (as hubby is veggie wholesaler and said he hasn't seen any in the local market).

not so much in Perth...although slowly improving. Therefore indulging occasionally during a holiday filled with local faire works for me.

I think my favourite new food this time around (bearing in mind I think this was my 7th Japanese trip in 8 years, and I am adventurous with new food....so many have already been discovered) was BURDOCK CHIPS from Mina Mina.

First time I had knowingly eaten burdock in any form, and I enjoyed it so much I ordered Burdock seeds (as hubby is veggie wholesaler and said he hasn't seen any in the local market).

Burdock is awesome!

But if you start out with excellent instruction (not reinforcing bad habits) you will progress faster and be a happier camper.

Pluses and minuses with both group and private lessons.

Seconded! I learned skiing first from a Japanese girlfriend. She was good and got me started, but when I took a professional lesson, they first had to work to get some bad habits out of me. And while we taught skiing to our own kids, we certainy noticed the difference every time we sent them to a ski school. Skiing has so many different levels and there are so many little things to know, there is world of difference between an amateur and a pro instructor. I suppose it is the same in the snowboard world, about which I know nothing.

There's a drag lift at higashiyama?! I didn't think Japan had such contraptions.....I hate drag lifts

There is fair number of those in other areas in Japan, like Shiga-Kogen. Personally, I kind of like them. But I suppose for boarders they must be hell...

But if you start out with excellent instruction (not reinforcing bad habits) you will progress faster and be a happier camper.

Pluses and minuses with both group and private lessons.

Seconded! I learned skiing first from a Japanese girlfriend. She was good and got me started, but when I took a professional lesson, they first had to work to get some bad habits out of me. And while we taught skiing to our own kids, we certainy noticed the difference every time we sent them to a ski school. Skiing has so many different levels and there are so many little things to know, there is world of difference between an amateur and a pro instructor. I suppose it is the same in the snowboard world, about which I know nothing.

yes it is.

I know the old joke goes...'what's the difference between a beginner snowboarder and an instructor?' About 3 days ;) :lol:

But it is amazing how many decent snowboarders you see flying down the slopes with quite obvious bad habits in their form. How much better they'd be if that was corrected!!!

I need to book some ski lessons.

I got super lazy. My son was teaching me, and I would find every excuse to go back and swap to my board and just hang out with him instead.

I need a mean instructor who is gonna bark orders at me for a few hours at a time. :lol:

There's a drag lift at higashiyama?! I didn't think Japan had such contraptions.....I hate drag lifts

There is fair number of those in other areas in Japan, like Shiga-Kogen. Personally, I kind of like them. But I suppose for boarders they must be hell...

Akazawa ski jo in Gunma has a drag lift, but it is only for beginners as it is on the beginner course. I used it many, many years ago when I first started skiing, it was fun but kind of weird at the same time to be dragged up the slope.

So now i have sussed out a little about the place.

What about a little info about some equipment.

Goggle lenses for instance. I have Oakley Airbrake goggles with H.I Yellow and Fire Iridium lenses.

I know i won't need the fire iridium lens but would this high intensity yellow be ok for the whole trip?

Or would i need a lens for in-between these 2? As they are right at each end of the charts.

And with my partners Dragon APXs it came with the pink ionised and the blue ionised

I switch between rose lenses and sunglasses.

That's it. Nothing else.

Works for me.

A low light lenses - yellow or pink is a must.

Something to protect your eyes in the bright sun is good.

Anything else is just an extra bonus that probably won't get much/any use.

So now i have sussed out a little about the place.

What about a little info about some equipment.

Goggle lenses for instance. I have Oakley Airbrake goggles with H.I Yellow and Fire Iridium lenses.

I know i won't need the fire iridium lens but would this high intensity yellow be ok for the whole trip?

Or would i need a lens for in-between these 2? As they are right at each end of the charts.

And with my partners Dragon APXs it came with the pink ionised and the blue ionised

If you are just starting out, do not worry too much about equipment. The only thing that really matters are well fitting boots. Anyway, your goggles are perfectly fine. I would say spend any extra funds on lessons - or on Kamimura ;)