It's business driven of course!

Let`s agree to disagree.

You try leave a tip anywhere else in Japan and they will chase u down the street to give u it back....even if u leave 2¥ change, they'll look very confused and chase you down the street.

Quite so. So leave this "custom" at home and don´t bring it to Japan. Thank you!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi!   Aside from overpriced restaurants n stuff? fyi, smoking is allowed in many restaurants from 9pm ish, my burning eyes really puts me off my appetite. youll need to book if you want to eat at

Just back from Niseko, and I might add you might also want to brush up on bus etiquette. Niseko is in the countryside, and the local bus uses an old-style pay system. It is pretty simply actually... y

Snow board Onsen (wash before you go in) Drink Eat Sleep and do again

so this is obviously something introduced by the Aussie tourists.

Surelt it was introduced not by the tourists, but by the businesses doing it.

Frankly, no way! A Japanese business would never think of that. If the shop is Aussie-owned, perhaps. Otherwise, no way. The way this developed must have surely been by tourists dropping tips on confused staff, the management asking what the h/&%&ck these foreigners are doing, and then dealing with the situation.

You can travel all over Japan, and you will NEVER see a thing like a "tip jar". (Except around US military bases, which is another story).

10% 'service charge' added at Kamimura...

Although service and food was INCREDIBLE, so really wasn't fussed what they wanted to charge!

Another tip.

Avoid chair lifts and only take gondolas up to the top, at least until you have gained the slightest bit of confidence and balance on your board.

First time to see snow? Wow! Wrap up warm!

In Niseko?

I don't think so.

Start on the Ace Family course - it is the perfect pitch to learn on and beginners are lapping it all day and night long.

It is serviced by the Ace family pair lift (which now has a safety bar! Upgrade!)

Or use the holiday lift on the gondola side of the hill - or bus around to Hanazono for lessons there on the green slopes.

All chairlifts.

Next progression would be up the Ace Quad - a seriously easy lift to get off!

I know some here are not big fans of paying for lessons.

But if you start out with excellent instruction (not reinforcing bad habits) you will progress faster and be a happier camper.

Pluses and minuses with both group and private lessons.

Group is cheaper, you get to meet people at your level who might be keen to keep sliding with you after the lesson - new friends :)

Private is focused on YOU, costs more, but no time sitting around on your arse waiting for the rest of the group. If you are not real fit waiting for others might be a bonus! But I found the value was way better in a private than a group for me in what I got out of it.

Each to their own I guess, just remember falling over, blocking the lifts and feeling very embarrassed and demotivated when I was first learning to board and trying to use lifts. Personally, I think it makes more sense to get a bit of balance and control first before tackling getting on and off lifts (don't even get me started with T bars or that drag lift at the top of Higashiyama, still have trouble with them!).

To be honest, I only get over to Niseko a few times a season so no idea what slopes would be best for beginners.

I would recommend you get private lessons. 14,000 for 2 ours in the morning. Get some basics and then practise in the afternoon before hitting the beers and onsen.

I wouldn't recommend the gondola for you, but if you must, the top of the gondola is a pretty flat area you can muck about on, but getting down means a bit of a hike. You won't be able to ski King or Ace if you're a beginner, so walking down would be your safest bet.

The sparrows kneecap of a slope, the family run is lots of fun for beginners. Your instructor will have you at the top of the slope and getting your ski feet well before even trying to get you on a lift. Or you could use the magic carpet.

The important stuff

Beers in the vending machines are well expensive. Hike down to the Seico mart and buy in bulk and sup up while sitting at the doorway.

If u r total noobs then practice getting comfortable braking.....you can just walk up the slope a bit and do this, either heel edge or toe edge, whatever is comfortable. After you have mastered braking then take the lift to the top and learn by falling all the way down the mountain in a controlled manner, save your dough for therapeutic beers to soothe away those aches

I would recommend you get private lessons. 14,000 for 2 ours in the morning. Get some basics and then practise in the afternoon before hitting the beers and onsen.

I wouldn't recommend the gondola for you, but if you must, the top of the gondola is a pretty flat area you can muck about on, but getting down means a bit of a hike. You won't be able to ski King or Ace if you're a beginner, so walking down would be your safest bet.

The sparrows kneecap of a slope, the family run is lots of fun for beginners. Your instructor will have you at the top of the slope and getting your ski feet well before even trying to get you on a lift. Or you could use the magic carpet.

at Hanazono. There was a teensy short carpet in the little kids ski school are around king lift IIRC from previous trips (didn't go anywhere near it this trip) but other than that the only carpet I recall is at. Hana.

Hana, 800Yen for a poxy beer. And you have no choice.
so in that case, for biru options learn to use a chair lift ;) :lol:

Honestly, chairs in Niseko are way easier than any I've ridden elsewhere.

Most of them anyway - that single pizza tray isn't hard, but it stirs all my irrational fear of heights anxiety.

Learn right the first time, and enjoy from then on.

I used the family lift for access every day for the last 3 weeks. Even when people stacked it the lifties were onto it, clearing and helping and stopping/slowing the lift. I saw one guy going up with his beginner wife - he gestured for them to slow the lift and pointed at his wife. They did so, he basically walked her off the lift. It can't be easier than that.

Well we we are staying is just a short walk from the Ace Family Lift.

As we have never been to the snow, we have never been on lifts. We definitely ned to get lessons and learn before venturing up the mountain.

I think i will go the private lesson then. Just an instructor with me and the Mrs is probably going to work best. That we if we advance a bit quicker then were not stuck on a level with the others, and same goes for if we suck, and need more time on things.

So looks like i should be taking all me cash with me then.

I have no idea ow much yen i will need for 10 days. Is there a good budget to work with?

Looking up Onsens, we are staying in the Shikaku apartments. But no idea where the closest Onsens are.

I will be fine but the Mrs is really shy, so i think she is going to struggle hahaha.

A lot of great tips and hints here. Please keep it up. Really appreciating it!

Shikaku is an easy walk to the family lift, although it is uphill.

You also have a shuttle bus stop outside your door for both the Hirafu village shuttle and the Hanazono shuttle.

You can control your spend to fit in most budgets.

When I'm not around the boys live on groceries from Kutchan, ramen and 600yen massive bacon and egg burgers from Wazzas.

Then there's the other end of the spectrum - degustation menu at Kamimura for example.

It's up to how much you are prepared to spend.

Well we we are staying is just a short walk from the Ace Family Lift.

As we have never been to the snow, we have never been on lifts. We definitely ned to get lessons and learn before venturing up the mountain.

I think i will go the private lesson then. Just an instructor with me and the Mrs is probably going to work best. That we if we advance a bit quicker then were not stuck on a level with the others, and same goes for if we suck, and need more time on things.

So looks like i should be taking all me cash with me then.

I have no idea ow much yen i will need for 10 days. Is there a good budget to work with?

Looking up Onsens, we are staying in the Shikaku apartments. But no idea where the closest Onsens are.

I will be fine but the Mrs is really shy, so i think she is going to struggle hahaha.

A lot of great tips and hints here. Please keep it up. Really appreciating it!

Shikaku is in the lower village. Not far from Family lift (have never heard anybody actually call it Ace Family), but a little bit of a hike uphill to the ski runs.

Of the onsen in Hirafu village, Yukoro (one of the best know onsen, quite traditional) is very nearby. Check the mini-map from Sekkastyle, which shows the locations of both Shikaku and Yukoro:

http://sekkastyle.co...niseko/shikaku#

For better orientation, here is a slightly outdated (1-2 years old) version of the Hirafu village map that is available at tourist information:

http://www.powderlif.../map-hirafu.jpg

More info on Yukoro here:

http://360niseko.com/location/yukoro

wtf is a degustation menu ?? is it something i need to improve the quality of my life ?
not necessarily... It is small plates of very fine dining food. No ordering/choices, the chef just prepares the menu and out it comes.

Hurro wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degustation

SGboarder, click on that map you linked to. Have a look at the family lift.

'Ace Family Pair Lift'. Commonly referred to as Family lift.

Yes, that was my point - the official name is Ace Family Lift, but it is pretty universally referred to as Family Lift.

Then there's the other end of the spectrum - degustation menu at Kamimura for example.

Yes, Kamimura is awesome but expensive. Or is that expensive but awesome?

We go pretty much every year - and spend as much in one night, as in a week otherwise. Still worth it in my book.

• Like 1

We go pretty much every year - and spend as much in one night, as in a week otherwise. Still worth it in my book.

totally agree.

It was one night in a 3 week trip for us, next most expensive was Iki for dinner (also in Shiki) - rest was pretty inexpensive. Given food prices in Perth I don't think I spent near as much as I would've on food while away as I would've at home. Kamimura excluded.

The access to a Michelin chef is limited in Perth, and a helluva lot more expensive! Will probably try to book in once every trip to see what Kamimura-San has skilfully crafted to delight the palate this time around. The matched wines was great too...I am not a big drinker, especially of wines (champers is the poison of choice) - and the education we got about each type of wine was brilliant. Especially loved the local Hokkaido dessert wine, harvested and pressed while still frozen to deliver a very unique flavour.

Warning, you may have to book considerably in advance. Took me 3 weeks to get a booking...but it was the busy Christmas/New Year period.

totally agree.

It was one night in a 3 week trip for us, next most expensive was Iki for dinner (also in Shiki) - rest was pretty inexpensive. Given food prices in Perth I don't think I spent near as much as I would've on food while away as I would've at home. Kamimura excluded.

The access to a Michelin chef is limited in Perth, and a helluva lot more expensive! Will probably try to book in once every trip to see what Kamimura-San has skilfully crafted to delight the palate this time around. The matched wines was great too...I am not a big drinker, especially of wines (champers is the poison of choice) - and the education we got about each type of wine was brilliant. Especially loved the local Hokkaido dessert wine, harvested and pressed while still frozen to deliver a very unique flavour.

Warning, you may have to book considerably in advance. Took me 3 weeks to get a booking...but it was the busy Christmas/New Year period.

This year there is also Asperges in Hanazono (http://www.hanazononiseko.com/en/restaurant/index.html) which is even more pricey than Kamimura. Going to be an expensive trip this season...

So these places are Japanese places?

Expensive, like how much?

Really should start thinking about places we want to eat at. So we can book it a week before we leave!

Can't wait to get there and get into the snow.

Snowboarding is going to hard but hope we pick it up pretty quickly!

Looking into private lesson. Getting some info on it now for our first day there!

Don't worry about Michelin chef and all that bollocks, you're there for the skiing. That expensive food shit is just for posing. The normal Japanese sushi, ramen, steaks etc would do just fine. Yes book if you don't want to eat at 9pm.

Private lessons are great. You'll progress in th fastest possible time and thus maximising your holiday. Good luck.

• Like 1