This is meant to be a friendly post.

But please, snowboarding people, can you please get out of the way when you get off a lift.

Don't just sit there all lined up at the top of the run almost completely blocking it for everyone else to get past.

Can't you just go to the side or something. You know, let people past.

Thank you.

onsen, while good advice, I doubt that anyone that is interested enough in skiing/boarding to frequent this forum are the ones blocking runs. In my very limited experience it's the social boarders who do the blocking, the serious boarders are clipped in and down the hill almost as fast as skiers.

This is meant to be a friendly post.

But please, snowboarding people, can you please get out of the way when you get off a lift.

Don't just sit there all lined up at the top of the run almost completely blocking it for everyone else to get past.

Can't you just go to the side or something. You know, let people past.

Thank you.

We'll do that when you skiers stop moguling up any decent steep run :p

onsen, while good advice, I doubt that anyone that is interested enough in skiing/boarding to frequent this forum are the ones blocking runs. In my very limited experience it's the social boarders who do the blocking, the serious boarders are clipped in and down the hill almost as fast as skiers.
spot on onehunga! And not all of us sit down to strap in!

One particular lift gave me conniptions on approach EVERY time in France because great hordes of skiers would stand in front of it, and it was a reasonably steep ramp to get away from the fast moving fixed fully loaded quad. The snowboarders couldn't stop as easily in front of it, so there weren't many of them. But granted here ... It's the boarders more often.

I'd add..whatever the device you choose to slide on, if you stack it, your #1 priority should be getting OUT of the way. Sideways. Not slowly dragging yourself forward still blocking the exit. Not pissing yourself laughing with your mates. And not posing for the 'i am a noob' photo!

If I see that I often just ask them to jolly well stop fannying about!

BTW, what is a 'social boarder'? Is it one more interested in uploading dreadful pics saying 'yey' or inane posts on Twatter rather than snowboarding?

That reminds me I need to update my 2 followers on Twatter about what I had for breakfast and a summary of my latest bowel movements.

If I see that I often just ask them to jolly well stop fannying about!

BTW, what is a 'social boarder'? Is it one more interested in uploading dreadful pics saying 'yey' or inane posts on Twatter rather than snowboarding?

That reminds me I need to update my 2 followers on Twatter about what I had for breakfast and a summary of my latest bowel movements.

No doubt you could probably use some more roughage in your diet Pies... Hey BTW... I found some wonderful old style steak and mushroom pies while back in Victoria Canada. I was thinking of you and wondering if you'd have approved... :lol:

I define a social boarder as those more interested in talking to their mates than actually boarding.
or once every 5-10 years holiday makers, usually travelling in large groups.

They normally haven't had many (if any) professional lessons - as most decent instructors will ram the 'do not block the lift exit' message home.

Does someone need an expensive professional lesson to learn that it's dumb to block passage for everyone at the top of the lift/course?

I would have thought that was covered by 'common sense'!

I ride my pushbike on bike path and people think it's a good idea to stop in the middle and have a chat.

They don't have the brain cells to think otherwise.

Not just Boarders

I want to add one more thing (skiers and boarders alike!) that annoys me...when I get off the gondola (doesn't apply to skiers after getting off lifts) and want to strap in my board....I'll admit, I do sit down to strap in after a few laps, I'm getting older and my back and legs are first to feel the strain....anyway, it's so annoying when strapping in and then some (usually young) group of people come along and sit right in front of me all lined up next to each other and blocking me in! The only way I can move is by either looking like an idiot and pushing myself up hill and around everyone with my hands or jumping around like an idiot, unstrapping my bindings and moving somewhere less occupied by morons, waiting for everyone to strap in, finish chatting/taking photos/falling over...or by yelling at them and giving myself and other non-Japanese people a bad reputation at the slopes!!!!

Also, never paid for a single lesson.

That doesn't just bother skiers. I agree with onehunga it is mostly the social boarders. I would also add stop siting on the spots where people like to wall ride, but that is probably too much to ask :lol:

I can´t ditto that enough!! I remember the times before snowboarding, and some of the things we have to put with now simply did not exist then.

Reason why social boarders are awesome:

1. They are STOKED TO ****!!! Seriously. Mad loving just being on the mountains. thats pretty infectious if you people werent misery guts.

2. They boggle their eyes in wonder any time someone does a half cab or holds a press. This makes me feel like a GOD!!! (until i get so carried up in the idea that i lose my concentration and smack into the ground like a turd).

3. Snowballs whizzing around, snowmen being built, friends burying friends. People riding their boards like toboggans down the bunny slope! Its a laugh innit! come on!

4.Ski bunnies are adorable. In fact the whole thing is adorable.

5. They need to ****ing move from the lift though. A bit of common sense! Believe me when i say this. Who do you think it terrifies more? The skier who has both feet locked in nice and tight on their planks of wood and can see the danger and navigate it before they even get off the lift? Or the poor snowboarder who doesnt spend very much of their day with one foot awkwardly strapped into their board while the other one does everything it can to make you catch your edge even if you so much as insinuate you might be making a slight turn to get around them. This hurts us more than it hurts you. So onegai, ****ing shift ya dunderheids!

• Like 1
The problem with common sense is that it's not actually that common
so true.

I'm not saying everyone needs professional lessons, although it really made a difference for me.

Bad habits did not develop.

Started with understanding why we dint hang out in front of lifts and just over rollers/drops where you can't be seen. Did not have to learn that the hard way.

MOST ski instructors will pass on this uncommon - should be common knowledge. But there are always a few that fit outside that box.

Heck, this season in Thredbo I was crossing a drag lift with some mates. This particular spot necessitates a bit of speed before the crossing or you are unclipping the back foot (or waddling/jumping like a duck/dick) if you are on a board. It's pretty much a cat track, not that wide, but downhill through the drag lift. A fair few people sail on through and don't even notice the people on the lift until they hit them. So...first we negotiate skiers weaving back and forth taking up the entire track (damn, can't pass, gotta slow down, know that means scooching!) or worse still stopped as a group blocking the entire damn thing. So we get through without stopping and see a young ski instructor with his brood of ski school kiddies - little ones. He has stopped about half a meter past the lift track. So where do all the ski school flock stop? Yep, you got it...ON the t bar track!!! As I went past I said to the guy, you'd best move the kids a bit mate! it's not the best place to stop. His response? **** off. Yep. My friend went though next and said...wow kids you better move there are people coming. He gave her a dirty look. Son came through next and said Mate!!! Seriously!!! MOVE these kids. Before he could argue a t bar user crashed into one of the kids. He moved them after that.