You guys have seriously been fantastic in answering all my questions! i've got one more =)

we WERE planning on renting our gear for about 6 days of hitting the resorts...which if i did the math right, would amount to the cost of a snowboard. (not sure about skis?).

we are doing Niseko for 2 days, then heading to sapporo for the remaining 5 days.

is their places to buy boards and skis at a decent price in Niseko? I'd prefer to not spend over $150-$170 for a board.

also, when flying out from japan, has anyone ever flown with their equipment? how does that work? (never done it before!)

Thanks!!!

yes, well....my husband will be for the ski's but i have a brand new board back at home on the east coast that i didnt take with me to guam when we moved. I'll be reunited with it in 16 months =)

I don't think i'd mind having two boards... especially since if we dont make it home in 16 months and end up living in germany or something, i'll be able to take my japan board with me and not worry about my board on the east coast

it's not? well after looking up the prices for ski's in general...i think we are going to stick with him for renting.

what about snowboards? i'd just need to purchase the board. i've got the boots and bindings.

In Sapporo you could check out Kawanaka Sports, it's near to Susukino crossing, they have well priced boards BUT I think you might struggle to buy a decent board for $170

When in Tokyo have a rake round Kanda-Ochanomizu area and see if u can find something but you may have to increase ur budget if u want a decent board

I figured =/ the-house.com has pretty good deals on boards. but the shipping is outragious to reach guam and i highly doubt it would make it on time.

so nothing around niseko? or on the way their from the airport?

If your budget is $170, then I suggest you rent. You won't find anything better than rental skis/boards at that price, and he could even try out a few different skis over the course of your trip. When you have a little more time, and a slightly higher budget, then use the end-of-season clearances to find some suitable skis, and get your board shipped to you. I'd suggest $400 at the absolute minimum for decent skis, but I picked up some great skis for my wife at 60% off which brought them down to $290.

it seems that you guys are correct! (secretly hoping for some inaccuracy ;) ) I think i'll bring my bindings just in case i run across a deal i can't pass up. but with my board at home that cost me 160$ i'd be hard pressed to spend more than that. ITS OK though! I'm not so secretly in love with my board back home and i'd feel like i'm cheating on it if i bought a new one ;)

After talking with the husband, he's going to have to wait on ski's till we get back to the states. or where ever the AF takes us next!

what about helmets? any good deals on those or should we just stick to online shopping/bringing them with us?

i've been on the-house.com plenty and i think i'd need to try them on first. I'm not 100% sure my head size lol!

but yes, they do ship to the continental US for free...unfort. they do not include guam and its $30+ for shipping stuff out (we have a po box so thats also an added cost). on top of that, i'm not sure if it would come priority, which means it would come on a boat....which means not making it here on time.

is it possible to get one though for around $50-$60 USD?

i've been on the-house.com plenty and i think i'd need to try them on first. I'm not 100% sure my head size lol!

but yes, they do ship to the continental US for free...unfort. they do not include guam and its $30+ for shipping stuff out (we have a po box so thats also an added cost). on top of that, i'm not sure if it would come priority, which means it would come on a boat....which means not making it here on time.

is it possible to get one though for around $50-$60 USD?

If you are prepared to try shops such as hard-off, a Japanese second hand paraphanelia store, that sells winter sports gear, you MIGHT get lucky but again, for that kind of price you would probably end up with some 6+ year model that has seen better days.