I ski 119 mm waist skis all the time - chest deep powder or corduroy groomers. I honestly never felt any problems at all when I moved up from an 85mm ski to 119. If you are hiring, check out the forecast when you arrive - if there's going to be a lot of powder - hire a ski with a decent waist - around 110 mm would probably be good. Also, would be a good idea to choose a ski with 'rocker' or 'early rise' in the tips with a normal camber underfoot. The rocker will help you float in the powder and make turn initiation easier. The camber underfoot will help it ski compressed snow a lot better. Many recent skis would have this design. Atomic Blog would fit that description and I'm sure plenty of other brands will make something similar.

If the forecast calls for just a bit of fresh, you could go a bit narrower 90-100 mm which would still have a bit of float in the powder and also be decent for the groomed stuff.

Remember - on-piste powder doesn't hang around long - it's there while its snowing and for about half a day after it stops and thats about it.

BTW - I'm not sure how much it costs to hire good quality skis in Hakuba. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression it comes in around 4000 yen per day - I guess multiple day rental would be cheaper though.

I ski 119 mm waist skis all the time - chest deep powder or corduroy groomers. I honestly never felt any problems at all when I moved up from an 85mm ski to 119. If you are hiring, check out the forecast when you arrive - if there's going to be a lot of powder - hire a ski with a decent waist - around 110 mm would probably be good. Also, would be a good idea to choose a ski with 'rocker' or 'early rise' in the tips with a normal camber underfoot. The rocker will help you float in the powder and make turn initiation easier. The camber underfoot will help it ski compressed snow a lot better. Many recent skis would have this design. Atomic Blog would fit that description and I'm sure plenty of other brands will make something similar.

If the forecast calls for just a bit of fresh, you could go a bit narrower 90-100 mm which would still have a bit of float in the powder and also be decent for the groomed stuff.

Remember - on-piste powder doesn't hang around long - it's there while its snowing and for about half a day after it stops and thats about it.

BTW - I'm not sure how much it costs to hire good quality skis in Hakuba. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression it comes in around 4000 yen per day - I guess multiple day rental would be cheaper though.

Thanks Gary, thats very helpful, I have a quote from Spicy rentals for 17000 for 5 days, not sure on their selection of fatter skis, but Chriselle form a recent post has suggested another shop... Arriving on the 19th, so lets hope the snow is great, it will be awsome no matter what, im sure. cheers

The Hakuba visitor center in Wadano has a good selection of mild to wild fat skis to rent....give them a shot.

Cheers, Im staying Goryu, but if the local store doesnt have the selection I will take your advise. THanks

Renting and trying a few different skis with varying waist widths is a great idea. If you're doing that, I'd try from 99-116 just to see the difference in powder and on the groomers. I hope you'll have the snow conditions to really see the difference between the skis!

Thanks for the tips, seems amazing the widths that are suggested but Im keen to have a go thats for sure, I will be posting how everything turns out. cheers Mate

10 years ago, 90mm waist skis might be considered 'fatties' but not anymore! I think over the years the designs and materials have been tweeked so that its easier to ski on fatter skis. Unless you are really into skiing fast groomers all the time, moguls or usually ski in hard packed icy conditions (i.e. not Hakuba in Feb!), I'm not sure why anyone would go with a skinny ski. Then again, its been so long since I skied a narrow ski and I've got a lot better since then - perhaps I should give one a try an a groomer day! The Mantras look nice actually.....

10 years ago, 90mm waist skis might be considered 'fatties' but not anymore! I think over the years the designs and materials have been tweeked so that its easier to ski on fatter skis. Unless you are really into skiing fast groomers all the time, moguls or usually ski in hard packed icy conditions (i.e. not Hakuba in Feb!), I'm not sure why anyone would go with a skinny ski. Then again, its been so long since I skied a narrow ski and I've got a lot better since then - perhaps I should give one a try an a groomer day! The Mantras look nice actually.....

Been a groomer only, and only by no choice really in aust. So I am really keen to try out the fatties, only 12 days to go..We picked Feb , to get the best snow, hopefully I will need fat skis.

You'd be unlucky to spend a week in Hakuba in February and not see any powder. Its a bit hard to ski at first - I'd recommend just skiing in some ankle deep stuff to start with if possible to get the feel for it. Once it gets past knee deep to waist deep (a fair chance you could get that even on piste), you probably don't want to be straying too far away from other peoples tracks as an intermediate and make sure you stay in areas with a decent gradient. On big powder days, lots of people end up getting stuck or losing skis which can take a long time to find again.....!

Last time I was at the Iimori side of Goryu, they had some Liberty fat skis that looked like they were for rental at the entrance opposite where Hakuba SnowSports have their counter.

I really love the Fats but the best way around this to rent the Fats on powder days. So buy a pair for riding groom and free style (twin tips) and rent Fats for POW day.

I really love the Fats but the best way around this to rent the Fats on powder days. So buy a pair for riding groom and free style (twin tips) and rent Fats for POW day.

Thanks Biggen, looks like I will hire, spicys at Goryu said I can change as many times as I like so that sounds good, as long as they have some semi fat skis, as well.

I have found a "Hard Off store in Kanda, but cant tell from their web site if they sell ski gear, written in Japanese. Might be worth looking for some ski things .

If its not to much trouble could you have a look for me and see if they list ski gear. I will be in Kanda a few days before going to Hakuba .Heres their web site

.ハードオフ秋葉原

thumbnail.png

3-11-2 Sotokanda, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan ‎

+81 3-6206-4861 ‎ · hardoff.co.jp

Thank you

OK But for clothing I would advise you to just have a look at Max Value ( like your Walmart ) cheap gears in Hakuba. It is top quality but not branded.THey have a big range of snow gear like rubber boot for getting around town which I would advise to get. I get a new set of Pants, Jacket and compression each year for under Y10.000 ($110 AUD). And Fat usually are rented out as High performance skies.

OK But for clothing I would advise you to just have a look at Max Value ( like your Walmart ) cheap gears in Hakuba. It is top quality but not branded.THey have a big range of snow gear like rubber boot for getting around town which I would advise to get. I get a new set of Pants, Jacket and compression each year for under Y10.000 ($110 AUD). And Fat usually are rented out as High performance skies.

Thats fantastic, info. The Max Value is in Hakuba??, I have booked high performance skis for a week at Spicys. So as long as they have fats I should be OK, if they dont I will Hire from somewhere else. thanks Mate.

probably not suitable, but checkout the Sir Francis Bacon's anyway (and an awesome name).

Cool name and cool designs on their skis, decided im going to hire this year to work out which is best for me. Thanks for the info

It gets abit confusing Manfredk.no matter what you get you will have agreat time over there.Check out a on line site called level nine sports .com I brought my fat skis thru them so helpfull and cheap they steered me in the right direction.Enjoy the snow.

probably not suitable, but checkout the Sir Francis Bacon's anyway (and an awesome name).

Cool name and cool designs on their skis, decided im going to hire this year to work out which is best for me. Thanks for the info

SFB's are a great ski!!

It gets abit confusing Manfredk.no matter what you get you will have agreat time over there.Check out a on line site called level nine sports .com I brought my fat skis thru them so helpfull and cheap they steered me in the right direction.Enjoy the snow.

thanks Rosco, I bought my head adapt edge 90 boots from them, cant wait to use them, going to get them heat moulded next week , where off on Friday the 17th. cant wait, Im sure we will have a blast, been planning this trip since Feb..I will check out the skis when Im there, and buy next time when I know what Im doing more, Thanks Manfred

SFB's are a great ski!!

I agree, they look great, I like the bamboo thats used,