Well you'd really kind of expect the helmet to at least reduce the severity of the injury. Otherwise what would be the point of wearing the damn things? Especially as it seems it's mostly people who wear helmets that end up hitting their heads! I still maintain they are dangerous things that should be avoided!! :happyshades:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tubby has it completely correct as usual. Of course I couldn't care less what others choose for themselves. Just don't attempt to impose your views on what's safe and what isn't on me on the slopes. T

I'll try to use less words if you promise to use more ippy and elaborate more than you usually do. Fill in the blanks!   As Winter is absent so far, we are going to have to rely on other reporte

Michael Schumacher, an extremely wealthy man amongst wealthy men; an expert skier; a regular at the ski resort, where he owns his own chalet....... was using rental skis?  

9.30am As I mentioned earlier French newspaper Le Dauphine Libere is reporting that Schumacher had a second operation overnight at the Grenoble University Hospital Centre. It was also reported that Professor Gerard Saillant, who co-ordinated the driver's medical care after he broke his leg in the 1999 British Grand Prix at Silverstone, is present at the hospital.

No doubt due to the similarity betweeen severe brain operations and broken legs!

wow......I guess you could say though that his helmet has given him a fighting chance.....without it it sounds like he'd be dead already. Been thinking about getting a helmet recently.

People who wear helmets, would you say that it helps prevent fogging on your goggles?

Fogging gogs? No. Get yourself some anti fogging double lenses.

My helmet has saved me once at least. Went too fast over a ramp, flipped and landed back of head first on ice. Helmet, skis, sticks, everything flew off. I was out for a split second then scrambled on my feet to collect my stuff with full embarrasment.

Here we go.

"When he arrived he had a serious brain injury and was in a coma," says the first speaker.

"He still remains in a critical condition."

And the professor adds: "He was immediately operated on after the first scan."

The professor adds: "For the moment we are not able to express ourselves in regards to Michael Schumacher's future.

"He's been given an artificial coma.

"His situation is considered to be critical.

"He was operated on only once.

"We're not able to speak about after-effects, just treatment. We're working hour-by-hour."

"His condition is considered to be extremely serious and he's intensive care.

"We're working altogether day and night by his bedside but it's far too early in terms of prognosis.

"His helmet did protect him."

Will it help that he was a sportsman?

"Well, that's possible, yes."

He adds: "We are in contact with the family - his family are by his bedside.

"We don't intend to carry out a second operation - we don't feel it's necessary at the moment."

"Fighting for his life ... the violence with which he hit ground, if he hadn't had a helmet, he wouldn't be here now."

Now the head of the hospital speaks: "I can't answer any technical questions.

"I'd like to thank them [colleagues].

"They are working hour by hour.

He says it's not that the doctors don't want to say anymore, it's that they can't say anymore at the moment.

Back to one of the doctors: "We think that the shock must have taken place at high speed.

"At the time of the accident he was agitated and not responding to questions."

He adds: "I certainly can't tell you what direction we're heading in.

"Today we wanted to tell you about his current state of health.. we can't go above and beyond that current information.

"There isn't a general case. There are a number of traumas from the most benign to the most serious."

And the press conference is over.

Schumacher is still fighting for his life in an induced coma.

The seven-time F1 world champion has had one operation, which removed clots on the brain.

Doctors say they are working hour-by-hour and are unwilling to give any more information.

They did say, however, he wouldn't have survived without a helmet.