I have a Brother I care for with a required brain injury. It has totally destroyed his life and put a hold on my fun in my life. I have to quite a very good Job to go home and care for him. People say that really good thing you doing and I say to myself will how come I feel so guilty that I really hate it and it put a damper on the rest of my life because wearing a helmet is nerdy or uncool. for f#%^$ sake Wear Helmets!!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I tried both my new ski boots and the helmet. First the helmet: It is a first time for me to have a ski helmet, and all I can say is I am very glad I bought one. It is so light that is is no mo

No difference.

If only he'd had a helmet!   WALPOLE, Mass. – A teacher was arrested Wednesday for allegedly walking around his driveway wearing only a ski cap and goggles.

Plenty of helmets worn in Australia, not sure what the driver is. Compulsory for the schools and more common than not on the general (beginner and intermediate) runs.

IMO any sport that doesn't recommend or require a helmet is probably not going to get the adrenaline pumping anyway.

I wear a skydiving helmet since I already have it and it fits nicely with my goggles. Have yet to give it a proper smash test on the slopes. My missus certainly has though she was hit square in the back by a boarder coming off higher ground onto an icy beginner run in NZ and she was seeing stars but thankfully OK thanks to helmet.

Personal choice I guess but I make my kids wear one, they have never known any different.

They are much lighter and easier to wear (and a bit more stylish) than they used to be.

I understand why skydiving helmets are worn now, but when I first heard of them I laughed pretty hard. Like really why would you need a helmet for that? If your chute doesnt open a helmet wouldn't save you. I compared it to the disinfectant wipes used before a lethal injection :sj-lol:

I found a good Giro helmet I want to get but after measuring my head, I'm not sure what size to get. 57cm.

Wow, very sorry to hear about your brother, Biggen.

Did he get injured skiing/boarding?

"A Coward attack" the so call King Hit. Darwin 2000. Australian have this thing about seeking up on some defenfence person and attacking them. It took my poor brother 3 months before he remember his identity. now he has serve short term memory loss and walking disability. He needs prompting to do everyday stuff everyday for the rest of his life. It has really put a dumper on my early retirement. I care for him 9 months of the year and for 3 months he is in respite care which give me a break. So that why I know why helmet are so important to wear. A brain injure just don,t stuff up your own life you also stuff up the peoples lives closest to you. I say make it compulory to wear helmet or your not allow to ride the lifts.

Wow, that's horrible to hear Biggen, I'm sorry for the pain you and your brother has had to go thru. It's one of the things that I love living in a Japan for.......generally you don't need to worry about that type of shit. Sometimes it goes on but not at all at the frequency it happens in the west.

Biggen, I was born and raised in Darwin, my apologies for the terrible misfortune caused to your brother by some coward fkwit. Thought he was a tough man, I hope he rots in Berimah prison, not a great spot I can assure you.

Ok , in my expereience, school groups, university groups, military on their latest rocker powder skis ( lol ) . All no helmets.

As i said. The way things are in Japan.

I ran into a bunch of the SDF last year at Sanosaka. They got onto the lift before me on the run you can see on the Sanosaka webcam. I noticed straight away that some of them were on straight plain white skis mounted tele and they were wearing leather boots along with their army camo gear. I waited for them to regroup at the top and was pretty excited at the prospect of witnessing some serious drop-knee old school tele action. Leather boots are the soul of telemarking! You can therefore imagine my horror when they all set off doing the most wooden snowplough imaginable. Austin Powers could have escaped them, never mind James Bond.

If anyone wants to invade Japan, let's just hope they don't parachute into the Alps, because we're basically ferked if they do.

I have seen some of the local army guys training up here at Tainai ski resort. Most of them were pretty good, skiing fast and popping airs off bumps and side hits while wearing their heavy backpacks. Impressive display actually.

Back to the subject of helmets. Outside of ski season I skateboard and this year decided to start wearing my skate helmet on the slopes. About two weeks ago I hit a kicker in the park, somehow landed with a ski crooked, rolled and hit the side of my head on the hard packed snow of the jump landing place. Even with a helmet it hurt and I was dizzy for a little while. Might not be typing this now if I wasnt wearing it.

Ok , in my expereience, school groups, university groups, military on their latest rocker powder skis ( lol ) . All no helmets.

As i said. The way things are in Japan.

I ran into a bunch of the SDF last year at Sanosaka. They got onto the lift before me on the run you can see on the Sanosaka webcam. I noticed straight away that some of them were on straight plain white skis mounted tele and they were wearing leather boots along with their army camo gear. I waited for them to regroup at the top and was pretty excited at the prospect of witnessing some serious drop-knee old school tele action. Leather boots are the soul of telemarking! You can therefore imagine my horror when they all set off doing the most wooden snowplough imaginable. Austin Powers could have escaped them, never mind James Bond.

If anyone wants to invade Japan, let's just hope they don't parachute into the Alps, because we're basically ferked if they do.

I have seen some of the local army guys training up here at Tainai ski resort. Most of them were pretty good, skiing fast and popping airs off bumps and side hits while wearing their heavy backpacks. Impressive display actually.

Back to the subject of helmets. Outside of ski season I skateboard and this year decided to start wearing my skate helmet on the slopes. About two weeks ago I hit a kicker in the park, somehow landed with a ski crooked, rolled and hit the side of my head on the hard packed snow of the jump landing place. Even with a helmet it hurt and I was dizzy for a little while. Might not be typing this now if I wasnt wearing it.

What helmet u-tan

I am going to use my Protec on the slopes this year it will be interesting to feel the difference between the hardfoam (Red) and soft rubber of the Protec

Seemore,

I am wearing a triple 8 brainsaver. https://www.triple8.com/shop/product/Triple-Eight-Brainsaver-Rubber-Helmet-with-Sweatsaver-Liner

It is the soft type too so apparently you dont have to replace it after an impact. I think the soft ones provide less protection than a hard shell which absorbs more impact but also splits/cracks while doing so.

Reading around the forums on other sites, there were mixed opinions about wearing skate helmets for snow. If you haven't already done so, do a search.

I wear a beanie under it to keep the ears warm.

Hopefully, you won't have to feel the difference between the hard foam and soft rubber in a serious way! Play safe.

Cheers u-tan interesting helmet.

My old Red helmet has had a few hits on the hard snow and it still hurt me alot it may save me if I hit a tree hard, but I would have liked to reduce the blow hitting the snow which I am not sure they do.

The rubber makes more sense but may not save you with a serious hit.

I reckon his motorbike helmet would do a lot. As I said earlier on in this thread, Many years ago I crashed my bike and head butted the ground at 70mph, but I am still here today, I am 100% sure I would not have been here today had it not have been for my motorcycle helmet.

I seen this snowboard helmet that looked like an army helmet....that was cool, can't remember the make tho and despite repeated internet searches, I can't find the one I saw. I had a couple of close shaves today......1 with a very hard tree that has started me thinking about getting one

On Temple Street (< shittiest rip off street market in HK) I saw replica fighter pilot helmets for sale. No padding, nothing, just the shell. They looked well cool but I wouldn't be wanting to wear any of that rubbish.