Plenty of adults wear helmets at my local resort certainly no where the majority but a lot do wear them with almost all children wearing them. So I guess it depends on the resort as too how many wear or dont wear helmets.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I tried both my new ski boots and the helmet. First the helmet: It is a first time for me to have a ski helmet, and all I can say is I am very glad I bought one. It is so light that is is no mo

No difference.

If only he'd had a helmet!   WALPOLE, Mass. – A teacher was arrested Wednesday for allegedly walking around his driveway wearing only a ski cap and goggles.

Ok , in my expereience, school groups, university groups, military on their latest rocker powder skis ( lol ) . All no helmets.

As i said. The way things are in Japan.

I dont recall seeing anyone riding their treadlies on the streets of tokyo wearing helmets. Just the way things are in Japan i guess.

Wot in the name of the wee man is/are "treadlies"?

I dont recall seeing anyone riding their treadlies on the streets of tokyo wearing helmets. Just the way things are in Japan i guess.

Old banger commuter bicycles, surprised you havent heard that.

Why would I have heard that? :wakaranai:

Why would I have heard that? :wakaranai:

What is the word for commuter bicycles in japan ?

Since we're still on the subject of helmets, is there really any difference between ski helmets and snowboarding helmets besides aesthetics? I wouldn' think they would be too functionally different since you're strapped to wood and flying down hill in either case.

Reason I ask is because the helmets at the local shop are all swan ski helmets.

Ok , in my expereience, school groups, university groups, military on their latest rocker powder skis ( lol ) . All no helmets.

As i said. The way things are in Japan.

I ran into a bunch of the SDF last year at Sanosaka. They got onto the lift before me on the run you can see on the Sanosaka webcam. I noticed straight away that some of them were on straight plain white skis mounted tele and they were wearing leather boots along with their army camo gear. I waited for them to regroup at the top and was pretty excited at the prospect of witnessing some serious drop-knee old school tele action. Leather boots are the soul of telemarking! You can therefore imagine my horror when they all set off doing the most wooden snowplough imaginable. Austin Powers could have escaped them, never mind James Bond.

If anyone wants to invade Japan, let's just hope they don't parachute into the Alps, because we're basically ferked if they do.

If you're buying a helmet now, I'd get a MIPS one, or at least find out what it is. My missus got a concussion while wearing a regular helmet and it was pretty scary to see the amnesia and general disorientation it caused. It lasted till the following day. It wasn't just five minutes of seeing four fingers instead of two.

I have a Giro, I chose that because I was recommended it, they have been making helmets for years, have a very good reputation for safety and quality and have many different designs and colours.

My cycle helmet is also a Giro, was recommended that also by the shop over other makes a few years back when I bought that.

If there really is much difference between the makes I don't know, but I went for what is one of the most popular brands in the shop at the moment. Figuring popular hopefully means good, especially as this is my first time to get a ski helmet and I didn't have much idea about them, but went by recommendation and write-ups.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Glad the wife is ok. What kind of fall did she have?

Thanks for the concern. It was actually about ten years ago. We were hitting a kicker at the bottom of Charmant Hiuchi. It was the end of the day, and the runup had frozen up after the sun went down. My missus hit it with too much speed, bounced off her bum and then landed on it again with a whiplash to back of the head type motion. She got up reasonably quickly but broke down when I started talking to her. She didn't know who she was until the next day. We knew some people at the (freestyle) ski school there and they told me she'd probably sleep it off, and that's the way it worked out. With what I've heard since, I should have gone straight to hospital. Anyway, she was wearing a helmet, a Red one. With other sports too, like cycling and American Football, concussions are a big issue in spite of helmet use.

That certainly would have freaked me out Mr. W. We used to laugh (macho bullshit) about that kind head injury back in my hockey playing days and shrug it off as "getting your bell rung". Now we know better and it's a serious issue in minor league and professional hockey.

Yes it is. And in many other sports besides.

We had a situation of a guy who had 2 concussions playing for another water polo team 2 days apart in the October (few years ago) - coming around from the 2nd one he told the ambos it was 1977....he wasn't even born then!

The following year he had moved to our club and was preparing for an April competition when he got a head knock and became unconscious at training again. Coach called his parents in and explained why he wouldn't be playing him the following week. He still went with the team, but it is just too dangerous to be continuing to play.

We've got a 14yr old in sons team that I manage in ICU at the moment after falling out of a tree.

Last thing on his parents mind is when he will play water polo again, but even if he makes a full and quick recovery it is unlikely he will be able to play any contact sport again.

Look after your heads!